Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: whats that noise? Update: Alternator bearing

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I experienced this same noise briefly and much quiter. It didnt have that start up roar like the vid. But I could hear it whirring just like that for about 2 minutes while cruising around 40mph.
    So what was the noise then for you Dirk? Do you still have a problem with this same noise?

Hope it's fixed. For this whole entire thread, If the engine manual says put regular unleaded gas, not premium, don't put premium in it. If you do see what happens. Maybe the noisy motor can correct itself with regular unleaded, but no point going down that road. I would have called roadside service before "having to" buy premium for my Mirage. Sorry just a thought.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Hope it's fixed. For this whole entire thread, If the engine manual says put regular unleaded gas, not premium, don't put premium in it. If you do see what happens. Maybe the noisy motor can correct itself with regular unleaded, but no point going down that road. I would have called roadside service before "having to" buy premium for my Mirage. Sorry just a thought.
    dspace9 I'm curious, how would higher octane fuel cause problems? I must be missing something here and hopefully you can fill me in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    dspace9 I'm curious, how would higher octane fuel cause problems? I must be missing something here and hopefully you can fill me in.
    The gas combusts differently if it's premium. So your everyday econocar doesn't require the expensive gas. Or propane. Says it right in the manual, Mirage takes regular unleaded. I think there is even a warning graphic about wrong fuels. I think the car is meant for some ethanol regular unleaded. The whole owner's manual is hard to understand.

High performance engines are meant to fire their pistons differently than your Mirage.

In short if you're driving a car with a gas or a tire pressure beyond the recommended requirements, you might run into unintended consequences. Tipsy Mirage, funky engine running. etc
    Last edited by dspace9; 08-16-2019 at 08:45 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Again, premium gas won't hurt his car, just his wallet.

https://www.cartalk.com/content/premium-vs-regular-1

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-16-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Again, premium gas won't hurt his car, just his wallet.

https://www.cartalk.com/content/premium-vs-regular-1
    That may be well and true, AtomicPunk. I'm just ocd about things like this, where I have a bunch of money tied up to it. I only owe a bit on my Mirage now. Still it's easier to follow the orders of the book on the recommended settings. Might not hurt it, I can't gamble anything with my current career.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The gas combusts differently if it's premium. So your everyday econocar doesn't require the expensive gas. Or propane. Says it right in the manual, Mirage takes regular unleaded. I think there is even a warning graphic about wrong fuels. I think the car is meant for some ethanol regular unleaded. The whole owner's manual is hard to understand.

High performance engines are meant to fire their pistons differently than your Mirage.

In short if you're driving a car with a gas or a tire pressure beyond the recommended requirements, you might run into unintended consequences. Tipsy Mirage, funky engine running. etc
    I was hoping you could share your insights as to how a higher octane fuel would cause noise in an engine. It has been my understanding that it doesn't cause any problems.

At one fill-up I found the mid-grade gasoline was the same price as the regular, so I filled up with the mid-grade 89 octane. I noticed no difference in operation or fuel economy.

I understand that high compression, high performance engines need higher octane fuel to avoid pre-detonation. That's not the case with the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-16-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I understand that high compression, high performance engines need higher octane fuel to avoid pre-detonation. That's not the case with the Mirage.
    Keep in mind Eggman friend benwerks who started this thread, and I think this is a direct quote, " noticed the noise 2 or 3 days after running premium gas. " Not sure the exact octane buddy used Eggman but it's not left field at all to say it's possible running the wrong gas is causing the noise all of a sudden. So Eggman what's your explanation. Doesn't seem random eh. You tell me

Furthermore benwerks may or may not have the owner's manual. I bought my car new. Says it in the manual don't run premium octane gas.
    Last edited by dspace9; 08-16-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Keep in mind Eggman friend benwerks who started this thread, and I think this is a direct quote, " noticed the noise 2 or 3 days after running premium gas. " Not sure the exact octane buddy used Eggman but it's not left field at all to say it's possible running the wrong gas is causing the noise all of a sudden. So Eggman what's your explanation. Doesn't seem random eh. You tell me

Furthermore benwerks may or may not have the owner's manual. I bought my car new. Says it in the manual don't run premium octane gas.
    Though I don't know what caused that noise, I'm certain it isn't caused by higher octane premium gasoline. If there's evidence that disproves this, I'd like to hear it. I can understand linking the fuel to the noise, but can't make sense of how.

I wouldn't call it the wrong gas, just expensive. But if premium is the only stuff available, I'll use it too.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Though I don't know what caused that noise, I'm certain it isn't caused by higher octane premium gasoline. If there's evidence that disproves this, I'd like to hear it. I can understand linking the fuel to the noise, but can't make sense of how.

I wouldn't call it the wrong gas, just expensive. But if premium is the only stuff available, I'll use it too.
    We'll see I suppose then. Differences of opinion make the Mirage Forum more useful than not. Reader can decide.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That may be well and true, AtomicPunk. I'm just ocd about things like this, where I have a bunch of money tied up to it. I only owe a bit on my Mirage now. Still it's easier to follow the orders of the book on the recommended settings. Might not hurt it, I can't gamble anything with my current career.

Understandable. Just trying to help put your mind at ease.