Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: whats that noise? Update: Alternator bearing

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Yep that's the culprit right there then eh? Well in any case it's good you know what the noise is now, no more mystery.

If you have the manual transmission I would keep an eye on the starter issue acting up, like mine did. Grindy starter sound is the sign. I think the early builds, 2013 and 14 had glitchy starters. I got Mitsubishi to cover it under new car warranty---after much bickering.

Talking about funny Mirage noises above, do you mean plastic dash rattles, and hatchback hatch rattles haha. Econobox but it's a nice car I think.
    the only time the starter grinds is when its my fault by not pressing on the cultch completely or after i lift off to quickly and try to save it.

i dont have many rattles that i cant pinpoint but occasionally the car creaks and groans. or the lack of transmission soundproofing makes it so you really know when you lift off the clutch too quickly before getting it into the slot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Would any of yall trust an aftermarket universal alternator to replace an expensive Mitsu one?
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    sure
    I'm not sure how you could do that. I'm pretty sure the alternator output voltage is controlled by the ECU.

I don't recall any alternator failures reported here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm not sure how you could do that. I'm pretty sure the alternator output voltage is controlled by the ECU.

I don't recall any alternator failures reported here.
    So the universal alternators for sale at Autozone wouldnt work because of the ECU?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So the universal alternators for sale at Autozone wouldnt work because of the ECU?
    car-parts shows several withing a few hours of me that are mostly less than $100 and the shop told me it would be at most $80 for the rebuild. i would do that if i wanted to have a spare alternator or couldnt go without my vehicle for a day

edit;spelling

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I don't think I'll be very effective in trying to explain how an alternator works here, but I'll give it a try.

Refer to this Wikipedia entry for how they really work haha: Alternator

An alternator is an energy converter. It converts mechanical rotational energy into electrical energy using the properties of magnetism. By passing a coil of wire through a magnetic field, an electrical potential is induced in that coil of wire.

Early designs used permanent magnets to provide the magnetic field. These were called generators.

Alternators use another coil of wire to create the magnetic field, along with a bit of electricity from outside to get the process started. This electrical energy is provided by a (the) battery.

In order to control, or regulate the amount of electricity needed out of the alternator it's not always practical to vary the rotational speed so the magnetic field is regulated by a separate device.

Conventional alternator designs have historically placed this voltage regulator inside the alternator. This would be designed to provide a constant output voltage to run the car, charge the battery, etcetera.

By removing the voltage regulator from the alternator and giving control of that function to the vehicle ECU, the mechanical power used to operate the alternator can be better managed for a variety of reasons, such as efficiency gains, automatic start/stop operation, and even regenerative braking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I don't think I'll be very effective in trying to explain how an alternator works here, but I'll give it a try.

Refer to this Wikipedia entry for how they really work haha: Alternator

An alternator is an energy converter. It converts mechanical rotational energy into electrical energy using the properties of magnetism. By passing a coil of wire through a magnetic field, an electrical potential is induced in that coil of wire.

Early designs used permanent magnets to provide the magnetic field. These were called generators.

Alternators use another coil of wire to create the magnetic field, along with a bit of electricity from outside to get the process started. This electrical energy is provided by a (the) battery.

In order to control, or regulate the amount of electricity needed out of the alternator it's not always practical to vary the rotational speed so the magnetic field is regulated by a separate device.

Conventional alternator designs have historically placed this voltage regulator inside the alternator. This would be designed to provide a constant output voltage to run the car, charge the battery, etcetera.

By removing the voltage regulator from the alternator and giving control of that function to the vehicle ECU, the mechanical power used to operate the alternator can be better managed for a variety of reasons, such as efficiency gains, automatic start/stop operation, and even regenerative braking.

Seems pretty effective to me.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Any alternator would work, so long as the car controls the thing and, generally speaking, has enough power to turn it, and it makes enough power to run. (Lawnmower generator or a Ram 3500 alternator being about the extremes that I could see still being functional)

Any ol alternator should work, within reason.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    the only time the starter grinds is when its my fault by not pressing on the cultch completely or after i lift off to quickly and try to save it.

i dont have many rattles that i cant pinpoint but occasionally the car creaks and groans. or the lack of transmission soundproofing makes it so you really know when you lift off the clutch too quickly before getting it into the slot.
    Yup not much soundproofing in a Mirage. I find with the lack of soundproofing, and lack of A/C, I drive my manual Mirage by sound, and windows down, and never look at the tach to shift. I do it all by ear. I think most manual car drivers do the same.

Rattles wise.. well my Mirage has been through 6 Canadian winters soon, so it's driving in less than ideal conditions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Yup not much soundproofing in a Mirage. I find with the lack of soundproofing, and lack of A/C, I drive my manual Mirage by sound, and windows down, and never look at the tach to shift. I do it all by ear. I think most manual car drivers do the same.

Rattles wise.. well my Mirage has been through 6 Canadian winters soon, so it's driving in less than ideal conditions.
    not much info from the dash cluster that cant be gained from your senses. when driving a mirage at least

ive heard it gets colder up there

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    mission success. it was a bearing in the alternator pulley. pulled the alternator out in front of the shop this morning they had a new pulley on there within an hour. driving around now noise is gone.

alternator removal and reinstallation difficulty 2/5

also I replaced the serpentine belt with the RockAuto replacement

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benwerks For This Useful Post:

BeanSproutExpress (08-26-2019),Daox (08-20-2019),dspace9 (08-19-2019),Fummins (08-19-2019),inuvik (08-19-2019)