Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: whats that noise? Update: Alternator bearing

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Glad you got the noise issue resolved after Monday, benwerks. I went through 3 alternators with my old VW rabbit. The interior lights would flicker.

I think the Mirage is pretty reliable overall. Mine has been good, except the faulty starter. Happy motoring!
    i was really suspect the alternator last night when i started the car with the interior light on and it basically turned off 3 times while the starter motor was firing

2. The Following User Says Thank You to benwerks For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-18-2019)

That's good. Congrats I think you're the first one to have an alternator problem on this forum.
    Last edited by Fummins; 08-16-2019 at 10:16 PM. Reason: I lerned to read.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Thanks for sharing! I wonder if I need a new alternator now? Thats the last thing I need : (

Mine hasnt made that whirring noise in a couple of weeks. It was very faint. Thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I wonder if I need a new alternator now? Thats the last thing I need : (

Mine hasnt made that whirring noise in a couple of weeks. It was very faint. Thoughts?
    You gotta chase it down like OP did when and if it makes it again. If it does, pull the belt, if it stops, you know its something belt driven with a bearing likely going down. Alternator, tensioner, AC compressor, etc.

But if it doesnt make the noise, cruise on my man.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Almost like it wasn't the fuel! Wow!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

my first thoughts would be that if it only happened at over 40 that its not going to be a belt or pulley but something that's moving at that speed. then again my mirage makes a lot of funny noises.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    i was really suspect the alternator last night when i started the car with the interior light on and it basically turned off 3 times while the starter motor was firing
    Yep that's the culprit right there then eh? Well in any case it's good you know what the noise is now, no more mystery.

If you have the manual transmission I would keep an eye on the starter issue acting up, like mine did. Grindy starter sound is the sign. I think the early builds, 2013 and 14 had glitchy starters. I got Mitsubishi to cover it under new car warranty---after much bickering.

Talking about funny Mirage noises above, do you mean plastic dash rattles, and hatchback hatch rattles haha. Econobox but it's a nice car I think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Would any of yall trust an aftermarket universal alternator to replace an expensive Mitsu one?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Would any of yall trust an aftermarket universal alternator to replace an expensive Mitsu one?
    No I would still trust an actual Mitsubishi part to replace what you have. I might trust an aftermarket exhaust, but I wouldn't for an alternator. To each their own of course. I'm looking at prices on Mitsubishi Parts Now.com for alternators - $849.75. That's for a new one that's stock.

Here's the link for you Dirk

https://www.mitsubishipartsnow.com/o...wzLWdhcw%3D%3D

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    sure or maybe get one from a junker and have it rebuilt

14. The Following User Says Thank You to benwerks For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-18-2019)