Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: whats that noise? Update: Alternator bearing

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Nope don't own a Mirage. I've turned a bolt or 2 one a few though. Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one.
    I understand not wanting to risk damaging a car that isn't even paid for. I get it. It's a big investment for some.
    It's all about the investment for me Fummins. I am risky in other avenues, but not with my car. Seems to be working well for me. So, logic prevailing, just bc everyone is saying I'm wrong doesn't make me wrong. This ain't a red herring when the proof is in the owner's manual pudding.

Hopefully that doesn't offend anyone.
    Geesh.

Last edited by dspace9; 08-16-2019 at 06:23 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm walking away from this one. Have fun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    So what the hell is that noise? It sounds like a superweapon from some 50s sci fi flick. "Attack of the 30 inch Mirage" or "Werewolf Mirages from Outer Space!".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    It's all about the investment for me Fummins. I am risky in other avenues, but not with my car. Seems to be working well for me. So, logic prevailing, just bc everyone is saying I'm wrong doesn't make me wrong. This ain't a red herring when the proof is in the owner's manual pudding.

Hopefully that doesn't offend anyone.
    Geesh.
    My owners manual says "Your vehicle is designed to operate on unleaded gasoline having a minimum octane number of 87 [(MON+RON)/2] or 91 RON".

Higher octane fuel may have no particular advantage but it certainly won't harm the engine.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    My owners manual says "Your vehicle is designed to operate on unleaded gasoline having a minimum octane number of 87 [(MON+RON)/2] or 91 RON".

Higher octane fuel may have no particular advantage but it certainly won't harm the engine.
    I wonder if the high octane fuel caused the noise, maybe not in a damaging sense. Just the change in gas, say the Mirage had 40,000 miles on it with 87 octane every time til now. I could see that sounding different, with the 1.2 drinking a more potent fuel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    belt off. no noise.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benwerks For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-16-2019),Top_Fuel (08-20-2019)

That's good news. The only thing ran off the belt that I recall ever hearing fail was the ac compressor. Might be a place to start. It's at the bottom straight below the alternator.

Did you happen to run it with the temp controls completely turned off? Before removing the belt"

Could be alternator too? Give everything a spin. Or go red green and run the belt to a pulley and run the other end to a drill? Not sure if that'd spin fast enough though.
    Last edited by Fummins; 08-16-2019 at 09:38 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That's good news. The only thing ran off the belt that I recall ever hearing fail was the ac compressor. Might be a place to start. It's at the bottom straight below the alternator.

Did you happen to run it with the temp controls completely turned off? Before removing the belt"

Could be alternator too? Give everything a spin. Or go red green and run the belt to a pulley and run the other end to a drill? Not sure if that'd spin fast enough though.
    its the alternator. i rolled the pulley and it made a slight rubbing sound. then with the belt reinstalled, i held a flathead on it and pressed my ear against the end of the handle and the sound was isolated. i tried with a tube and a funnel by the compressor and it was fairly silent. pulling it monday and getting it rebuilt.

edit: when spinning the compressor pulley by hand i didnt notice any abnormalities or noises.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benwerks For This Useful Post:

Loren (08-17-2019),Top_Fuel (08-20-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    its the alternator.
    Glad you got the noise issue resolved after Monday, benwerks. I went through 3 alternators with my old VW rabbit. The interior lights would flicker.

I think the Mirage is pretty reliable overall. Mine has been good, except the faulty starter. Happy motoring!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    its the alternator. i rolled the pulley and it made a slight rubbing sound. then with the belt reinstalled, i held a flathead on it and pressed my ear against the end of the handle and the sound was isolated. i tried with a tube and a funnel by the compressor and it was fairly silent. pulling it monday and getting it rebuilt.

edit: when spinning the compressor pulley by hand i didnt notice any abnormalities or noises.

Well, that should be cheaper than a compressor. Thanks for sharing the sound and the eventual solution!