Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: whats that noise? Update: Alternator bearing

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    So what was the noise then for you Dirk? Do you still have a problem with this same noise?

Hope it's fixed. For this whole entire thread, If the engine manual says put regular unleaded gas, not premium, don't put premium in it. If you do see what happens. Maybe the noisy motor can correct itself with regular unleaded, but no point going down that road. I would have called roadside service before "having to" buy premium for my Mirage. Sorry just a thought.
    I never found out because I havent heard it in a couple of weeks. Im waiting to hear what this guy says on Friday.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-16-2019)

Higher octane will not hurt an engine. Running higher octane will not cause an ac compressor or timing chain to make noise. I'm pretty surprised about some of the things I read on this forum as well.....
    I'd run it if I had money to blow. Higher octane typically has less to no ethanol in it which is a good thing. Ethanol sucks. Running lower octane than recommended isn't good. The opposite is just fake news.
    Legend has it that certain brake pads will make your windshield wipers wear out prematurely.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-16-2019),Rockabilly Manta (08-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've never heard that noise on mine. I did try premium gas once, just once. I didnt know what I was doing, i was on cocaine!

All jokes aside, i mean I tried the premium gas once just to see if it changed the fuel economy or if the car would "run better" but I noticed no difference really. It did not seem to cause any harm but also I did not see any benefit.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Nope don't own a Mirage. I've turned a bolt or 2 one a few though. Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one.
    I understand not wanting to risk damaging a car that isn't even paid for. I get it. It's a big investment for some. Do some research though before getting over offended all the time.
    This is the internet, not Canada.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My Mirage doesn't care if I run E15 87 or E0 94.

Premium does not, can not hurt a car. That's not how it works. Ever. At all.

Fuel is not the issue, we all need to move past this. Total red herring.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-16-2019),inuvik (08-16-2019),Loren (08-16-2019)

Premium hurts my feeling.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    not yet. my driveway time got delayed until friday afternoon.

Cool. I had another idea, whatever that's worth. A 2015 has the auto temp control, right? See if you can put it in a setting where the a/c is totally off, and see if the sound goes away. If it does, that would steer toward a failing compressor clutch bearing. Of course, if its still there it may mean the bearing has already failed and the clutch is seized, lol. But it is one quick thing you could check before pulling off the accessory belt.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Cool. I had another idea, whatever that's worth. A 2015 has the auto temp control, right? See if you can put it in a setting where the a/c is totally off, and see if the sound goes away. If it does, that would steer toward a failing compressor clutch bearing. Of course, if its still there it may mean the bearing has already failed and the clutch is seized, lol. But it is one quick thing you could check before pulling off the accessory belt.
    I wonder how much that would be to fix at a dealer? Im guessing we cant really take our cars to a regular mechanic considering how hard it is to get aftermarket parts. It took me 6 hours to get my rear drums replaced and thats after the brake shop owner had to go to a Mitsubishi dealer and pay out of pocket to get the correct size, the first two options were aftermarket and claimed they fit, but of course they didnt.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rockauto has a.c. compressors for 2015 Mirage for $370. Assuming that's it ( or if someone needs one in the future), you still will be charged for recovering the refrigerant, labor to replace compressor, and recharge system. Guessing around 6 to 7 hundred dollars, depending on the shop.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Premium hurts my feeling.
    Premium hurts my wallet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)