Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirage Racing Series Proposed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I think that the Mirage would be an ok race car, and not tipsy like I believe Eggman said above.
    Perhaps you haven't been following Loren's posts on his Mirage that he modified for parking lot racing. He has given up on racing his Mirage, and has years of experience doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    It's just the electronic stability control does work in your car. So you have to go extreme to cause wheels to go bop.
    I think you might be underestimating what racing is about. Automobile racing is all about using a car's abilities to go through a course as fast as possible. This means using acceleration, braking, and road adhesion to their limits and even a bit beyond.

Personally, I wouldn't count on electronic stability controls to avoid trouble in a racing environment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I did actually know Loren used to race. Automobile racing is one of three deadly ("true") sports, said Hemmingway. The other two bullfighting, and mountain climbing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old 41 year old, they certainly don't race like they used to! There seems to be far fewer factory-backed race teams in most series than there used to be. Heck, even in WRC: It's Citroen, Ford, Hyundai, and Toyota. No Mitsubishi, no Subaru, no Renault, no Audi/VW, etc. But so be it.
    Definitely a different landscape, but if you're looking in the right places they are still doing it

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Perhaps you haven't been following Loren's posts on his Mirage that he modified for parking lot racing. He has given up on racing his Mirage, and has years of experience doing it.

I think you might be underestimating what racing is about. Automobile racing is all about using a car's abilities to go through a course as fast as possible. This means using acceleration, braking, and road adhesion to their limits and even a bit beyond.

Personally, I wouldn't count on electronic stability controls to avoid trouble in a racing environment.
    Autocross is a largely different "racing" environment than W2W racing that tends to have more rollovers. Look over in Europe. The C1 cup is all the rage over there and it's basically like the Mirage. Modifying suspension, limiting tires (See: Nothing faster than 200TW, or even 340TW). Anything can be raced, and preventing roll-overs can be another skillset of the class you race in.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGreener View Post
    Autocross is a largely different "racing" environment than W2W racing that tends to have more rollovers. Look over in Europe. The C1 cup is all the rage over there and it's basically like the Mirage. Modifying suspension, limiting tires (See: Nothing faster than 200TW, or even 340TW). Anything can be raced, and preventing roll-overs can be another skillset of the class you race in.
    And autocross is typically at slower speeds with a greater margin of safety.

Will you will race your Mirage then? That would be an interesting thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    And autocross is typically at slower speeds with a greater margin of safety.

Will you will race your Mirage then? That would be an interesting thread.
    Slower speeds have nothing to do with rollover risk. It's the nature of autocross that incurs rollover risk more as opposed to road racing. More transitions, sharper corners, etc.

I don't have a mirage, I just post on this forum because I was interested in one as a beater. I already race other things.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGreener View Post
    Slower speeds have nothing to do with rollover risk. It's the nature of autocross that incurs rollover risk more as opposed to road racing. More transitions, sharper corners, etc.

I don't have a mirage, I just post on this forum because I was interested in one as a beater. I already race other things.
    The Mirage is a scary AutoX car. I only took mine out once. Never again. 3 wheels down is fun. 2 wheels isn't.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    The Mirage is a scary AutoX car. I only took mine out once. Never again. 3 wheels down is fun. 2 wheels isn't.
    Maybe not fun stock ...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe not fun stock ...
    Stockish.

And yeah, I'm not tuning one of the slower cars on the road. I've got the Micra for that. Almost the same purchase price, 20-30% faster around the same course stock as our Mirage.

If I'm throwing money at any vehicle, I'll start with something with triple figure horsepower and a trackwidth at least CLOSE to the vehicles width.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

there's the Micra Cup in Canada (or at least there was).
    The Micra Cup is still going.

FYI, the Micra and Mirage are similarly tall cars, but as Nickels points out, the stock tires/suspension geometry/tuning is vastly better in the Micra.

* (Unless you're talking about the Cadillac-esque ride, in which case the Mirage is better)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (08-20-2019)