Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Mirage Racing Series Proposed

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    232
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 103 Times in 71 Posts

    Mirage Racing Series Proposed

    ...AND they don't make fun of the car for once.

    https://jalopnik.com/dancing-is-how-...ing-1836923871



  2. #2
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,214
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 738 Posts
    Jalopnik, unlike most car sites, has never hated the Mirage. And they have wanted to see a "Mirage Cup" race for a long time now.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    232
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 103 Times in 71 Posts
    The R5 in the picture does look pretty sharp, I must say.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    24
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    As an active racer, I love this idea.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 175 Times in 89 Posts
    I would 1000% support this!

    For those that aren't familiar, there's the Micra Cup in Canada (or at least there was). There was also the Yaris cup, too. They already race Mirages in SE Asia: https://www.subcompactculture.com/20...mirage-in.html

    I would so love to see Mitsubishi get back into racing like they used to, especially in the Mirage. But it doesn't seem many automakers go racing anymore in any official matter.

  6. #6
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 106 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    ...AND they don't make fun of the car for once.


    Kinda miss Jeremy on Top Gear. Anyways, the Mirage in the photo on the Jalopnik article is the R5 spec Mirage. So, Mitsubishi is not out of car racing yet. Here's the official Mirage R5 website:

    http://www.mitsubishir5.com/

    The R5 is made in Sweden, and has a turbo. Not quite the same as the Micra Cup in Quebec. I think those Cup cars are essentially stock Nissan Micra's.

    Even better, check out the Facebook page to the R5:

    https://www.facebook.com/MitsubishiR5Official?fref=ts

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    24
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I would 1000% support this!

    For those that aren't familiar, there's the Micra Cup in Canada (or at least there was). There was also the Yaris cup, too. They already race Mirages in SE Asia: https://www.subcompactculture.com/20...mirage-in.html

    I would so love to see Mitsubishi get back into racing like they used to, especially in the Mirage. But it doesn't seem many automakers go racing anymore in any official matter.
    Manufacturers still race quite a bit actually. There's a lot of doom and gloom but marketing statistics suggest other wise, especially in the grassroots amateur scene.

  8. #8
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,079
    Thanks
    3,165
    Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Call it the Ambulance Cup for all the roll-over accidents, being a tall- & narrow-bodied vehicle.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.9 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.9 mpg (Imp)


  9. #9
    Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 175 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGreener View Post
    Manufacturers still race quite a bit actually. There's a lot of doom and gloom but marketing statistics suggest other wise, especially in the grassroots amateur scene.
    At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old 41 year old, they certainly don't race like they used to! There seems to be far fewer factory-backed race teams in most series than there used to be. Heck, even in WRC: It's Citroen, Ford, Hyundai, and Toyota. No Mitsubishi, no Subaru, no Renault, no Audi/VW, etc. But so be it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 106 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old 41 year old, they certainly don't race like they used to! There seems to be far fewer factory-backed race teams in most series than there used to be. Heck, even in WRC: It's Citroen, Ford, Hyundai, and Toyota. No Mitsubishi, no Subaru, no Renault, no Audi/VW, etc. But so be it.
    I think that the Mirage would be an ok race car, and not tipsy like I believe Eggman said above. It's just the electronic stability control does work in your car. So you have to go extreme to cause wheels to go bop. Not on my work's 80's forklift with a load. That thing will tip on a dime of the hand or foot.

    Like the Mirage isn't a 1992 Geo Metro.


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •