Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idle vs Engine Restart?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Idle vs Engine Restart?

I deliver pizzas part time and have been doing so for years. I have always thought that leaving the car idle instead of killing the engine when I run to someone's door was the best route. Since I got my Honda I have noticed that it drops my MPG by a LOT just idling for the 2-3 minutes per stop. I always kill the engine when I go to a bad area/apartment complex, but if I go to a neighborhood and park right outside the house I leave it running so I can jump in and go.

I figured this accomplished a few things:
    Less wear and tear on the battery, starter, and smaller amount of gas used (idle vs STARTING motor)

My question is if this logic if flawed in anyway.

On a side note, with the proximity/push button start if I leave the car with the key fob in my pocket will it stay running? Can I lock the car with it running using the key fob?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    somewhere on some forum someone said idling longer than 7 seconds is the point at which you should shut down. It can't take much fuel to start the engine, think about it. as far as battery/starter wear, the world may never know. I would shut down myself. there are crazy people (I won't mention any names) that shut down at redlights!!!!!

I'd shut down the engine. Here's why:

Idle-stop is one of the mains reasons hybrids get very good city fuel economy, and it's why automakers are adding "idle stop / start" systems to non-hybrid drivetrains like the Mirage to stop the engine at red lights, etc. Crazy engineers, eh?

- An engine that has been recently running (still hot) will restart with the smallest effort from the starter.

- The 12v battery will also be sitting at a higher voltage (having recently been charged by the alternator at 14.x volts), so will have excess power to deliver to the starter, compared to a "cold" battery.

- Restarting an engine uses just a tiny amount of fuel. I've seen an experiment which showed fuel is saved by shutting down & re-starting, even if it's less than 10 seconds (for a warm engine).

Try it - you'll see a noticeable increase in fuel economy if you shut off the engine during deliveries.

Do you have a fuel economy gauge in the pizza car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The car has the mpg read outs.

Well, good to know I've been wasting gas! Although if I am outside someones house, to me, it feels like it is easier to just leave it running. with the push button start, maybe I will start shutting down more often.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

How long does a re-start take? 1.5 seconds? It would be the same with the push-button.

While your customers are eating their tasty pizzas, idling is eating into your profits.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you think it would be hard on the push button to constantly be hitting it 25-30 times a day 2-3 days a week? :P

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If not for your sake, for the sake of pizza turn off

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    its also hard on your door to open and close that much, ever try climbing thru the window dukes of hazard style holding a three cheese pizza?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kalifornia For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Ditto on turning it off. The only thing I'll add is the main cause of starter failure is from overheating (from a car not starting and keeping on trying to start it), not from normal use, especially on a warm engine.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    its also hard on your door to open and close that much, ever try climbing thru the window dukes of hazard style holding a three cheese pizza?
    hah OK I get it, I'm sorry! jezzz!