Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What fails inside the cvt?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Step back from that ledge, Dirk! The 2016 Sentra transmission isn't a CVT7; looks like it's a JFO11E. Also, do we know if above coworker did any drain and fills over those 66,000 miles? If we've learned anything, it's that these fragile transmissions need fluid/filter changes to get any kind of longevity.
    It isn't the same as the one we have, but it is still a failed Nissan-sourced CVT. I thought the timing of Fummins' post was striking given the news I heard today about Christian's Sentra. There is already a lawsuit winding it's way through the courts over how much this CVT sucks. Did he service it? Maybe.

I don't think there is anything special about the CVT7 we have in the Mirage. What makes it last longer than the others is the fact that there is only 78 horsepower in front of it pulling only 2,000-ish pounds behind it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Will Nissan cover it? Or at least pay half? An even bigger question. Will Mitsubishi offer extended CVT warranties like Nissan did?
    Nissan had to be SUED in order to make that offer. They didn't do it out of goodwill. Can you imagine spending $40,000 on a new 2013 Pathfinder just to have the transmission fail at 63,000 miles? Then you have Nissan shrug their shoulders and say, "Well, you are off warranty, so there is nothing we can do. But we would be happy to sell you a new one!"

I'd be mad as hell, too.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Nissan had to be SUED in order to make that offer. They didn't do it out of goodwill. Can you imagine spending $40,000 on a new 2013 Pathfinder just to have the transmission fail at 63,000 miles? Then you have Nissan shrug their shoulders and say, "Well, you are off warranty, so there is nothing we can do. But we would be happy to sell you a new one!"

I'd be mad as hell, too.
    Yeah your friend is living my nightmare, he's in my thoughts definitely. Will Nissan help? This sounds like Nissan CEOs need to be called in front of congress. Im going to write a letter to my congressman. Bad press like that could force the Alliance to extend warranties.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah your friend is living my nightmare, he's in my thoughts definitely. Will Nissan help? This sounds like Nissan CEOs need to be called in front of congress. Im going to write a letter to my congressman. Bad press like that could force the Alliance to extend warranties.
    Ironically, it's the government which mandates every car get 5% more efficient and pollute 5% less every 5 years or so. That is one reason why we have to have CVTs and other unreliable tech. Manufacturers have to wring every bit of efficiency out of engines and transmissions. Sometimes, the side effect of this is compromised reliability.

Oh, sure...it's all "good for the planet". Until you have a 4,300 pound, $43,000 paperweight sitting in your driveway because of it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-20-2019),Fummins (08-19-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Ironically, it's the government which mandates every car get 5% more efficient and pollute 5% less every 5 years or so. That is one reason why we have to have CVTs and other unreliable tech. Manufacturers have to wring every bit of efficiency out of engines and transmissions. Sometimes, the side effect of this is compromised reliability.

Oh, sure...it's all "good for the planet". Until you have a 4,300 pound, $43,000 paperweight sitting in your driveway because of it.
    Yeah, most climate change research has stated we're past the point of no return. All the hybrids and solar energy isnt going to change anything now. Car manufacturers should just go back to reliable technology at this point, Florida is going to be under water in a 100 years anyway.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok this were it gets confusing. That JF011E part number, you got from wikipedia right? Well, it might be wrong. I posted a vid a few days back from utube demonstrating how to add an upgraded CVT cooler to your system. The engineer demonstrating the process confirmed that the 2013 Sentra uses the CVT7. 2013 Sentras were rated the most likely to break down.

https://youtu.be/yCenSvOZNlk

From what I can find, they are 2 different CVT's. At the very least, different models of the same basic transmission with some varying parts. I'm inclined to think YouTube host was mistaken.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

A friend and coworker bought a brand new 2016 Nissan Sentra. It now has 66,000 miles on it, and GUESS WHAT FAILED ON HIM YESTERDAY?
    I talked to Christian the other day, and he told me that the Nissan dealership where he purchased the car gave him a FREE extended CVT warranty...up to 90,000 miles. The car is there now. If it needs anything from a simple computer reflash to a new transmission, all it will cost him is $50.

Way to go, Nissan!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-21-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I talked to Christian the other day, and he told me that the Nissan dealership where he purchased the car gave him a FREE extended CVT warranty...up to 90,000 miles. The car is there now. If it needs anything from a simple computer reflash to a new transmission, all it will cost him is $50.

Way to go, Nissan!
    Thats good news, keep us posted. I ask again, of anyone with a thought on the matter, is there anyway Mitsubishi would do the same for us?

Doubt it. I haven't heard of mass premature Mitsubishi cvt failures. A co-worker has a rogue that had the cvt blow up earlier this year, can't remember the mileage on it but it turned out it was covered by some magic extended warranty as well. I think regular powertrain for nissan is only 100k km/60k miles?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Thats good news, keep us posted. I ask again, of anyone with a thought on the matter, is there anyway Mitsubishi would do the same for us?
    The Mitsubishi powertrain warranty is still better than Nissan's "extended" warranty. Although we have seen some CVT failures before 100k miles it's been few and far between. Definitely not a prevalent issue. If it's a less than 1% issue which I'm just guessing it is otherwise we'd have a bunch more people complaining about premature CVT failure. Change your CVT fluid and filter and you'll be fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)