Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What fails inside the cvt?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The Mitsubishi powertrain warranty is still better than Nissan's "extended" warranty. Although we have seen some CVT failures before 100k miles it's been few and far between. Definitely not a prevalent issue. If it's a less than 1% issue which I'm just guessing it is otherwise we'd have a bunch more people complaining about premature CVT failure. Change your CVT fluid and filter and you'll be fine.
    Powertrain warranties for original Mirage owners are great (10-year/100,000 miles), but someone (like Dirk) who buys a used Mirage isn't going to have that security. If I owned a CVT vehicle, I would change my fluid/filter every 30,000-40,000 miles. Maintenance is always cheaper than repairs.

Personally, a good warranty (or extended warranty) wouldn't make me feel any better. If my CVT went out at 105,000 miles (made it past warranty), I would be even more ticked off. If a well-maintained transmission can't go 250,000-300,000 miles without issue, it's a step backwards.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-06-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Powertrain warranties for original Mirage owners are great (10-year/100,000 miles), but someone (like Dirk) who buys a used Mirage isn't going to have that security. If I owned a CVT vehicle, I would change my fluid/filter every 30,000-40,000 miles. Maintenance is always cheaper than repairs.

Personally, a good warranty (or extended warranty) wouldn't make me feel any better. If my CVT went out at 105,000 miles (made it past warranty), I would be even more ticked off. If a well-maintained transmission can't go 250,000-300,000 miles without issue, it's a step backwards.
    I went online to search for used automartic Mirages for sale that had over 150k miles on them, the results were inconclusive. They're simply werent that many.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Personally I just dont think the miles to years is there yet. Inknow of a few 100k plus outlander sports. The few othwr mirage owners I know are barely pushing 50k

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff151 View Post
    Personally I just dont think the miles to years is there yet. Inknow of a few 100k plus outlander sports. The few othwr mirage owners I know are barely pushing 50k
    Yeah, just give it a little more time.

"The 2011 Versa, for example, has an average failure of 64,750 miles."

"The very popular 2013 Altima fails around 60,167 miles."

Quotes taken from "Should You Trust Nissan’s CVT? Probably Not."

http://www.nissanproblems.com/cvt/

Keep in mind - these are averages, which means some are failing earlier than that.

It takes a few years for some problems to appear. The Mirage will most likely do better, but I would be a little anal about my CVT maintenance if I ever owned one.

I'd be pissed if I owned a car that had a major failure just outside of warranty. Even 100k miles isn't that great. It'd sure be nice if mfg's had a little more faith in the crap they are putting out by making warranty coverage a little longer.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-07-2019)

Country
    Austria
    Thanks
    "Higher octane fuel the cause of these failures?"
    I don't understand this theory and didn't hear it here for the first time.
    Funny
    In Europe, the minimum is 95 and the maximum is 100 octane, USA has 94 as a premium.
    Very funny
    The problem is with a low octane fuel, early or self-ignition.

Mitsubishi has the same cars by all standards (EU, USA, AU ...) and can run a minimum octane number of 87 [(MON + RON) / 2] or 91 RON.
    More octane - better for engine.
    How can you even say that octane fuel can damage any parts of a car? (spark plugs, pistons and valves not included)

So much for being sarcastic. I guess I forgot to straighten out that first post.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I guess I forgot to straighten out that first post.
    Please don't.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Austria
    Thanks
    Sorry for my comment and thank you for photos and work what you did.
    I never heard story in EU workshops, forums and groups anything about any problems caused by octanes.

I have found in my research that old models have problems with oil pumps and low or no pressure at all. Without pressure, the pulley can be damaged in one second, such as "flying" bearings and piston rings.
    New models got electric pump.

As Inuvik says:"Change your CVT fluid and filter and you'll be fine".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockabilly Manta View Post
    I never heard story in EU workshops, forums and groups anything about any problems caused by octanes.
    I've heard that ethanol and ethanol blends can cause problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)