Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Swapping

Hi

Has anyone swapped there manual transmission to CVT in the mirage? I want to go automatic, because its very tiring to drive a manual transmission here in my area (traffic).

Is it possible to swap transmission in the Mirage? What parts are needed to be change? Or do I just sell my MT car and buy a 2nd hand CVT one?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Its possible to do the swap. However I would imagine it would be a lot easier to sell and buy
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

What daox said. It's possible but it'd likely be cheaper and way easier just to sell and buy what you want.
    You'd need a new flywheel,transmission(obviously),possibly cv axles,shifter,shifter cable,cvt control module,entire under hood and under dash wiring harness(from similarly optioned car of same year),radiator is different for cvt cars. There's probably a lot more stuff that's different too.
    It'd be easier to just buy a wreck and swap everything over. If you found a great deal on one and have endless amounts of time to waste go for it.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What daox said. It's possible but it'd likely be cheaper and way easier just to sell and buy what you want.
    You'd need a new flywheel,transmission(obviously),possibly cv axles,shifter,shifter cable,cvt control module,entire under hood and under dash wiring harness(from similarly optioned car of same year),radiator is different for cvt cars. There's probably a lot more stuff that's different too.
    It'd be easier to just buy a wreck and swap everything over. If you found a great deal on one and have endless amounts of time to waste go for it.
    I would vote for selling your car (after reading Fummins' 2nd sentence) & buying what you want, too.

Sounds easier than buying a CVT & then selling your manual transmission & the parts that go with it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Although Dirk might trade.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-04-2019),Fummins (09-03-2019),mohammad (10-26-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Although Dirk might trade.
    CVT shipped from the Philippines to Atlanta. That may add to the cost of the overall project?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That may add to the cost of the overall project?
    Minor consideration. It'll cost about as much as new filters.

The rest can be taken care of with ETACS Decoder - just enable the CVT option. Now would be a good time to enable OE cruise control too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Might as well add some extra horsepower stickers while you have the car apart.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Its possible to do the swap. However I would imagine it would be a lot easier to sell and buy
    I love it when we agree on stuff.

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

My reasoning for swapping is to try to keep my car as long as its running. I'm the 1st owner of the car and my 1st car.

But if, as you explained it, it will be more expensive and time consuming to swap than to sell and buy an AT version instead. I will still think about it.

THanks again Guys