Thread: Oil filter sandwich adapter

Anywhere ignorant yanks and cads dont venture
    Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Oil filter sandwich adapter

Hey all. Need a little advice.

To cut a long story short. Due to circumstances beyond my control. Definitely not involving my better half. Iv'e lost my bottom fender grill. I was just going to whip up a mesh replacement. I thought to myself with the effort of removing the bumper & an oil/filter change due. I may aswell do something different & fire an oil cooler in there.

My question is. What Pipe fitments/sanwhich plate would be best suited to the mirage? Can aquire three flavours. AN6,8 or 10.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I can't say I see a need for a 70hp engine and an oil cooler. Most of us try, all year, to have our cars run warmer, not colder. Heck mine has a partial grille block when its 30 degrees out. I go full block as soon as it dips below 15.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    One of the best features of our cars is the perfected heat exchanger between coolant and oil!
    It is an integral part of the high-pressure casted aluminium engine block. It is actually a wall between oil and coolant, roughly between oil filter mount and coolant jacket, big enough to act as an effective heat exchanger. Much better than an oil cooler.
    The engine oil gets warm within five minutes after the coolant has reached nominal temperature.
    On the other hand, you could race like an maniac in third gear down the highway, but the oil temp will practically never exceed coolant temp.

You definitely do not need an oil cooler!

Maybe you could grab a cheap infrared thermometer and pull over to do a few measurements on the oil pan, then you shall see.
    Last edited by foama; 08-19-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I can't say I see a need for a 70hp engine and an oil cooler. Most of us try, all year, to have our cars run warmer, not colder. Heck mine has a partial grille block when its 30 degrees out. I go full block as soon as it dips below 15.
    Sigh. That's about what i expected here.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    One of the best features of our cars is the perfected heat exchange between coolant and oil!
    The engine oil gets warm within five minutes after the coolant has reached nominal temperature.
    You could race like an maniac in third gear on the highway, but the oil temp will practically never exceed coolant temp.

You definitely do not need an oil cooler!

Maybe you could grab a cheap infrared thermometer and pull over to do a few measurements on the oil pan, then you shall see.
    Hey Foama!

Its just for fun. Something different. OIl normally runs 91C here in Malasia temps. Iv'e seen a 3-4C drop in temps with the broken grill alone. Ain't expensive to fit one. And it can't really hurt. Might be handy for anyone going turbo ect.

I'll go with AN10. SAee how it goes.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydaredevil View Post
    Hey Foama!

Its just for fun... I'll go with AN10. SAee how it goes.
    Good luck!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    There might be some helpful info in this thread...

Remote Oil Filter Mounting Kit

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    There might be some helpful info in this thread...

Remote Oil Filter Mounting Kit
    Thanks mate.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydaredevil View Post
    Sigh. That's about what i expected here.
    If one of the guys who races his calls it a non concern, that's a bit different than the usual response, to which your post would make perfect sense.

But, no. Not for a stock Mirage, and certainly not for a Mirage that sees, at worst, 150km/h rips now and then.

Get the car warm, and monitor oil temperatures on a 0-180kmh burn. It, doesnt get that hot. Even on repeated lap over lap track abuse, it's not high on the list of concerns, for these cars at least.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    If one of the guys who races his calls it a non concern, that's a bit different than the usual response, to which your post would make perfect sense.

But, no. Not for a stock Mirage, and certainly not for a Mirage that sees, at worst, 150km/h rips now and then.

Get the car warm, and monitor oil temperatures on a 0-180kmh burn. It, doesnt get that hot. Even on repeated lap over lap track abuse, it's not high on the list of concerns, for these cars at least.

Cucks! Cucks everywhere. An 6,8 OR 10 SIMPLE ****ING QUESTION! I DONT CARE HOW AN, YOUR WIFES CAD ***** IS. wtf are you pricks on? You could of said AN 8. go for it. but no. gotta be pricks about everything. Oh..... im getting 1 mpg less. lets put a ****ing plastic plate over the front of the car! No wonder the Asiacom hates your ****ing guts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jerseydaredevil For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-19-2019)