Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod-rattle at hot startup fixed....

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    No problems here. Like I said ealier the issue is now fixed. I get zero noise on hot startup now so apparently the issue was oil pressure related and nothing mechanical. Getting ready to do a CVT service soon at 60,000 miles.
    Don't use cheap filters or cheap oil.

3banger

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
    Don't use cheap filters or cheap oil.

3banger
    Just things I keep in the back of my mind when I do oil changes.

One of our highest mileage (260,000+) forum members has been using 5W-30 conventional oil changed every 5,000 miles. Steve receives free oil changes (50+ of them) from a Cadillac dealership (former Mitsubishi honoring the purchase deal), & I doubt they are giving him a high quality filter. Yet, his Mirage is piling on the miles without issue.

Is there a bad synthetic oil on the market? I am not convinced the brand of synthetic oil really matters. If you are using a synthetic oil, it's a step up over any conventional oil being used in Steve's Mirage. I am not saying all synthetic oil are equal, but I doubt any of them would be bad for a Mirage. If you maintain your Mirage, it will serve you well.

I do believe a 5,000-7,500 mile oil change interval warrants a better oil filter, & a Motorcraft oil filter appears to be a good mid-priced oil filter. Rock Auto does a pretty good job of ranking/pricing oil filters. Out of their 17 different oil filter options they sell for the Mirage, the Motorcraft oil filter is right in the middle of the pack. It's a mid-priced, mid-quality oil filter.

I am curious about where Motorcraft oil filters are being made these days? Someone on another forum (March 2019) claims his Motorcraft oil filters are Made in the CZECH REPUBLIC!

From what I can tell Motorcraft oil filters were once made by Purolator. Now that Purolator is owned by MANN & HAMMEL, the production of Motorcraft oil filters may have moved to one of their different locations, or Ford is using another supplier?
    Last edited by Mark; 08-21-2019 at 03:03 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most of the budget oil "quick" oil change garages use bulk oil in 55 gallon drums. Jiffy Lube comes to mind. They do carry some bottled oil that is sold at a premium. If a quick lube center advertises synthetic blend, go and check their drums. Places like Mineke Muffler were caught years back selling the absolute cheapest bulk oil NOT reccomended for newer cars. This was the "Raylube" cheap reclaimed/ filtered oil.

The only people to have changed my oil was the Mitsu dealer and myself. I have been changing my own oil since 1976. As I got older I didn't want to crawl under the car anymore so I started using other lube places. I have had horrific experiences with places like PepBoys and quick lube and now I really don't trust them. I have had issues like a loose drain plug. Oil light came on as I was driving home. Oil was dripping from the drain plug as I was driving. Whole bottom of the car covered in oil.
    Another time a tech cross-threaded the drain plug and I had to replace the oil pan. Another instance they forgot to put the oil filler cap back on the valve cover. Whole underside of the hood was soaked in oil and I had to argue with the garage for a new cap. They would not steam clean my hood or engine.

If you know how to change oil and can do it yourself you are better off in the long run. If you research Kendall full synthetic you will see that it is highly rated, right along with Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Mobil 1.

In fact there are YouTube videos that test Kendall oil and the Motorcraft filter. They actually cut the filter in half and rate the filter material, pleats, bypass valve and ADBV.

3banger

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
    Most of the budget oil "quick" oil change garages use bulk oil in 55 gallon drums. Jiffy Lube comes to mind. They do carry some bottled oil that is sold at a premium. If a quick lube center advertises synthetic blend, go and check their drums. Places like Mineke Muffler were caught years back selling the absolute cheapest bulk oil NOT reccomended for newer cars. This was the "Raylube" cheap reclaimed/ filtered oil.

The only people to have changed my oil was the Mitsu dealer and myself. I have been changing my own oil since 1976. As I got older I didn't want to crawl under the car anymore so I started using other lube places. I have had horrific experiences with places like PepBoys and quick lube and now I really don't trust them. I have had issues like a loose drain plug. Oil light came on as I was driving home. Oil was dripping from the drain plug as I was driving. Whole bottom of the car covered in oil.
    Another time a tech cross-threaded the drain plug and I had to replace the oil pan. Another instance they forgot to put the oil filler cap back on the valve cover. Whole underside of the hood was soaked in oil and I had to argue with the garage for a new cap. They would not steam clean my hood or engine.

If you know how to change oil and can do it yourself you are better off in the long run. If you research Kendall full synthetic you will see that it is highly rated, right along with Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Mobil 1.

In fact there are YouTube videos that test Kendall oil and the Motorcraft filter. They actually cut the filter in half and rate the filter material, pleats, bypass valve and ADBV.

3banger
    I prefer doing my own oil changes for the same reasons as you. I've never used a quick lube place myself, but I have seen/heard a few horror stories related to them, too. I would let Walmart replace/exchange a car battery, but not much else beyond that.

I can understand why some people don't want to do their own car service, too. In that case, I would recommend a good hometown mechanic to anyone that doesn't want to deal with the task. You can't develop a bad reputation as a mechanic in a small town & stay in business. Most of these small town shops will pick up your car while you are at work, do the needed service, and return it. We have some excellent ones in our small town.

We have our driver's education vehicles serviced by a small hometown mechanic. He's has access to our cars just like the instructors. When a car needs service, I just give him a call. He picks up the car from the school parking lot and returns it when done. He does a great job, & it involves no time on my part.

As far as my own cars go, I prefer doing things myself. I don't have to wonder whether or not my car received quality synthetic oil and oil filter. I also don't have to be concerned about things being improperly topped off (like the mixing of different engine coolants).

Someone like my dad, he likes having the dealership service his vehicles. It may be a bit more expensive for him, but it puts his mind at ease. If I didn't live 4+ hours from him, I would help him out more with that. His pickup truck, however, receives free oil changes (up to 4 quarts). Thus, oil changes cost him the price of 1 quart of oil. In that case, why not use the dealer?

A person should do whatever feels comfortable for them.

Kendall seems to be a very good oil. I hadn't really heard of them before. If you like to buy in bulk, a 55 gallon drum of Kendall synthetic oil is only $899 on Amazon. That would take care of 73 oil changes for a Mirage (3 quarts/change)!

It's good to know Motorcraft oil filters seem to be working well for you, too. I suspect Motorcraft may have a connection with MANN + HUMMEL. If so, that would increase my confidence in them. MANN + HUMMEL seem to own other quality oil filter companies like WIX, BOSCH, & Purolator. WIX XP, Bosch Distance Plus, & Purolator BOSS are considered premium oil filters. From everything I have read & seen, the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter is also top notch.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I've heard noise on startup on my Speck, but always attributed that to the valvetrain until it got oil pressure.

In cold weather, it seems to be noisier longer, until it warms up.

Regarding the anti-drainback valve in an oil filter, why do you think it is so important? The hole in the center is not covered by this valve, and all the oil inside will drain out through that. When the engine is shut off, the filter will be less than half-full at best.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

The only car we have that has any kind of knock is the one I just replaced the cvt in. It's got 133k km/82k miles. It came from another city and was poorly maintained. I found a super cheapo oil filter on it when I first brought it in for service.
    Otherwise I can't say I've heard any noise except for first start up after an oil change or once in a while when it's-35c/-31f they are a little knocky if not warmed up before trying to drive. We Klondike 0w20 synthetic oil from 275 gallon totes and or 55 gallon drums with mitsubishi filters.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The super thin oil recommended by Mitsubishi for our cars doesn't help. 0-20 is more like water than oil LOL.
    5-30 seems to work better. Whatever oil left in the rod and main bearings after shut down will simply completely drip out. I wonder what kind of cohesion such a thin oil may have.

3banger

I'd still take 0w20 over 0w16. I see that stuff on the shelves here now. As long as it meets the fuel economy numbers and last's til warranty is up.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The only car we have that has any kind of knock is the one I just replaced the cvt in. It's got 133k km/82k miles. It came from another city and was poorly maintained. I found a super cheapo oil filter on it when I first brought it in for service.
    Otherwise I can't say I've heard any noise except for first start up after an oil change or once in a while when it's-35c/-31f they are a little knocky if not warmed up before trying to drive. We Klondike 0w20 synthetic oil from 275 gallon totes and or 55 gallon drums with mitsubishi filters.

Thanks for the metric to standard conversions! Saves me having to open another tab to find a calculator, lol. Much appreciated.

I'm thoughtful like that.

Mirage videos: