Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod-rattle at hot startup fixed....

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Rod-rattle at hot startup fixed....

My 2017 Mirage G4 Sedan developed a rod-rattle at around 20,000 miles. Always used synthetic blend when I change my oil.
    My first three oil changes were done free by the dealer.

Apparently rod-rattle at hot startup is an issue for many Mirage owners. I have tried different oils, different viscosity, and different filters to find a solution.

Well, I finally found a combination that completely eliminates any startup engine noise regardless if hot or cold.

I use Kendal full-synthetic 5-30 w/ Titanium and a Motorcraft FL-822 oil filter. The Motorcraft filter is much longer than a standard Mitsu filter which means it holds more oil and is much easier to install and remove from the engine. The ADV (anti drainback valve) is excellent and keeps the filter full after shutting down.

How do I add pics using an Android? I don't see an option anywhere.

3banger
    Name:  1074953.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  32.1 KB
    Name:  51G3VR  IIL._SX300_QL70_.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  17.2 KB

Last edited by 3banger; 08-20-2019 at 05:38 AM. Reason: More info

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3banger For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (08-20-2019),Cobrajet (08-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I feel like the reports have been valvetrain noise on startup. Not saying you can't have rod knock, but if it is, a bigger oil filter isn't going to solve that! Also pretty uncommon on these engines, especially at 20k miles. Regardless, glad you found a solution (and how to post pics)!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I could be wrong but in my estimation a rod knock should be addressed by Mitsubishi under warranty, no?

In any case, I'm glad you found a solution that works for you and shared it with us.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (08-23-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hopefully you mean valve noise.

Rod noise means your getting a new engine under warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-12-2019),poorman1 (08-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I assume we are talking about the few seconds of valve train noise that most of us have at startup.

I've been running 5W30 Mobil-1 since my first oil change but I still experience the issue. Maybe I'll give the Motorcraft filter a try at my next oil change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the main issue is lack of oil pressure at startup. I've been looking for a filter that had a really good ADBV or ADV (anti-drainback valve).
    Even good rod bearings will sing if there is zero oil pressure. The "thump, thump, thump" sound for 2-3 seconds at startup is not valve train. It is definately dry rod bearings.
    I was really amazed how many oil filters have poor qaulity ADBV's. They may work well at first but after about a thousand miles they start leaking and the filter empties back into the oil pan.

I never had this issue on my Subaru Impreza, but then again the filter mounts straight up. You can actually pre-fill the new filter with new oil before putting it on.
    Instant oil pressure at start up.

My Mitsu is now quiet at startup be it a hot or cold start. Finally found a good combination of viscosity and filter.
    Also you can purchase Kendall full-synthetic at the 99 Cent store for $3.99 a quart.

3banger

This is the best millage I have ever gotten on a straight flat hiway. #15 North going to Las Vegas, high desert.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 3banger; 08-20-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
    I think the main issue is lack of oil pressure at startup. I've been looking for a filter that had a really good ADBV or ADV (anti-drainback valve).
    Even good rod bearings will sing if there is zero oil pressure. The "thump, thump, thump" sound for 2-3 seconds at startup is not valve train. It is definately dry rod bearings.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and side with Eggman, lol. If you truly have/had rod knock on a 2017 with 20,000 miles, I'd get it in and start the documentation process for a warranty claim. Anyone else hearing this noise?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On most cars and trucks actual bad rod bearings make themselves known around 2000-3000 rpm in neutral. As you load and unload between 2-3 thousand rpm you will hear a knoking noise. That is a normal test for weak bearings on any engine.

I never had that noise at all with the Mitsu. Engine is smooth up to 4000 rpm with no strange sounds.

3banger
    Last edited by 3banger; 08-21-2019 at 01:25 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
    ...rod-rattle at hot startup is an issue for many Mirage owners.
    It is? I'm still not sure we're all talking about the same noise.

..."thump, thump, thump" sound for 2-3 seconds at startup...
    Has anyone on this forum ever complained of such a noise?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Ok, here is where the Mirage Forum Brain Trust starts over analyzing things.

3banger, don't take this too seriously. It's just what we do here.

Last edited by Eggman; 08-20-2019 at 07:06 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)