Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To repair or not to repair?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So it's driveable eh. Sounds like a fun project right up your alley to be honest. Plus Mirage looks good in white. Make it a really tacky soup'ed up Mirage!

My friend has a 2018 Camry that he crashed, and that should have been a write-off, but over 10k in insurance cash fixed it all up. So I am assuming then you can "unsalvage" a salvaged car. Or just say you don't have the ownership once she's all fixed up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

[QUOTE=dspace9;92567]So it's driveable eh. Sounds like a fun project right up your alley to be honest. Plus Mirage looks good in white. M
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 01:10 AM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

One thing I always find odd that out here if a vehicle is in water up to the bottom of the dash(and is claimed through insurance) it's deemed unrepairable/for parts only. But I've seen videos of some guy in the states rebuilding flood damaged tesla's. I wouldn't want to buy one of those nightmares waiting to happen.

Here's some of the hoops we gotta jump through.
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/680.htm
    Lots of hoops, probably even more red tape in Ontario.

I saw a used Nissan Altima once years back on a used car lot, and the car had obvious signs of flood/water damage. Like literally a water line across the dash and instrument panel. You gotta be so careful with used cars!

I think restoring this Mirage is a good idea. I mean once you're all done, it's gonna be like a newish car.

One other thing regarding Teslas, I thought about considering a used one. Just because they're so extremely fast. Well I guess replacing the batteries alone is extremely expensive, and also nobody but Tesla repairs a tesla. Supposedly. I also heard Tesla's have mediocre quality, body gaps like a late-70's American car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, they are fast. But expensive. My brother
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 01:10 AM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Judging by the Mirage sheet metal thickness and the amount of damage, I'm guessing it got nailed by a runaway shopping cart in a parking lot?
    Could have been a golf cart, based on that other thread. Hard to say.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Could have been a golf cart, based on that other thread. Hard to say.

No doubt. Am I the only one who thinks the Mirage got the worst of that collision with the golf cart?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Judging by the Mirage sheet metal thickness and the amount of damage, I'm guessing it got nailed by a runaway shopping cart in a parking lot?
    lolololol!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Just picked up a car I was gonna use for parts. It may not be damaged as bad as I thought so I might fix it. Figured it'd be nice to show if this thing will be worth fixing or not. As well as what's damaged and what's not.

Attachment 15303
    Attachment 15304
    Attachment 15305
    Attachment 15307

As long as the a pillar isn't tweaked it should be easy.
    Rip that CVT out and send me that motherlover!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No, probably butterfly, one of the big ones though. Had one hit my truck window last night and it caused a massive smear of guts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    That car looks like it was swiped pretty hard. I certainly don't doubt your skills, but I might wait for one that was totaled with $5,000 worth of damage instead of this one which was totaled with $10,000 worth of damage.

This one isn't screaming "money pit" to me...but it is whispering it.