Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: To repair or not to repair?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    In a box
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanks
    935
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 744 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    That car looks like it was swiped pretty hard. I certainly don't doubt your skills, but I might wait for one that was totaled with $5,000 worth of damage instead of this one which was totaled with $10,000 worth of damage.

    This one isn't screaming "money pit" to me...but it is whispering it.
    If we didn't have the parts to fix it I'd totally agree. I'll take a closer look and have a body guy look it over before we go ahead with it. The roof line and all non hit panels look fine so that's a bonus. I'm not gonna be pulling out the a pillar or any body work for that matter, though the pillar doesn't really look bad. Estimate showed under 4hrs labour for the a pillar and small dent on the strut tower. All the parts are already painted and sitting on the shelf except for a hood and bumper cover.

    If it's gonna cost more than $3000cad($25usd) to get the thing back on the road I'd probably suggest scrapping it. We're not concerned about resale value so rebuilt status isn't an issue. Beside's anyone buying a Mirage hoping for good resale value needs to see a doctor. As long as it's cheaper than buying someone else's used junk I see it as a win. Chances are it'll be written off again in a week anyways.


    Truck
    POS Nissan
    Optima

  2. #22
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,226
    Thanks
    814
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 741 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If we didn't have the parts to fix it I'd totally agree. I'll take a closer look and have a body guy look it over before we go ahead with it. The roof line and all non hit panels look fine so that's a bonus. I'm not gonna be pulling out the a pillar or any body work for that matter, though the pillar doesn't really look bad. Estimate showed under 4hrs labour for the a pillar and small dent on the strut tower. All the parts are already painted and sitting on the shelf except for a hood and bumper cover.

    If it's gonna cost more than $3000cad($25usd) to get the thing back on the road I'd probably suggest scrapping it. We're not concerned about resale value so rebuilt status isn't an issue. Beside's anyone buying a Mirage hoping for good resale value needs to see a doctor. As long as it's cheaper than buying someone else's used junk I see it as a win. Chances are it'll be written off again in a week anyways.
    The reason I'd be a little gun-shy about that one is a situation my buddy recently had with his Prius C. He was swiped in a very similar manner when a drunk driver failed to yield at a traffic circle. The damage to his car looked much less serious than what you have there, but he was hit in a similar way. The insurance company fixed the car, but he later found out that...get ready for this...the rear wheels were out of alignment. He was chewing up rear tires in only a few hundred miles.

    Naturally, the insurance company tried the classic "It must have been like that before" bullsh!t. Yeah, like a two-year-old Prius C with no accident history and 16k is going to chew up rear tires from the factory. Getting the insurance company to pony up for further repairs was like pulling teeth...when pulling teeth is done by a LAWYER. Yep, he had to lawyer up.

    Turns out parts of the unibody were out of position by nearly an INCH. The car should have been totaled, as the final grand total for repairing the car correctly was over $15,000!

    I guess my point is that sometimes even body shops miss things. Proceed with caution, brother!

  3. #23
    Senior Member Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    In a box
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanks
    935
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 744 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The reason I'd be a little gun-shy about that one is a situation my buddy recently had with his Prius C. He was swiped in a very similar manner when a drunk driver failed to yield at a traffic circle. The damage to his car looked much less serious than what you have there, but he was hit in a similar way. The insurance company fixed the car, but he later found out that...get ready for this...the rear wheels were out of alignment. He was chewing up rear tires in only a few hundred miles.

    Naturally, the insurance company tried the classic "It must have been like that before" bullsh!t. Yeah, like a two-year-old Prius C with no accident history and 16k is going to chew up rear tires from the factory. Getting the insurance company to pony up for further repairs was like pulling teeth...when pulling teeth is done by a LAWYER. Yep, he had to lawyer up.

    Turns out parts of the unibody were out of position by nearly an INCH. The car should have been totaled, as the final grand total for repairing the car correctly was over $15,000!

    I guess my point is that sometimes even body shops miss things. Proceed with caution, brother!
    I hear you, that'd be fun to deal with.
    We'll look it over first. Not gonna spend a ton of money on it. If it can be repaired for around $2k I'll call it a win.
    Truck
    POS Nissan
    Optima

  4. #24
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    524
    Thanked 111 Times in 91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I hear you, that'd be fun to deal with.
    We'll look it over first. Not gonna spend a ton of money on it. If it can be repaired for around $2k I'll call it a win.
    The engine turns over fine? Alignment issues can be a scary thing. I test drove a used Audi A4, and the car veered to one side extremely bad, to the point of dangerous, if the steering wheel was let go of for a moment.

    I think since you have most of the parts around, except the hood, might be a fun project to do something a bit custom.

    2 tone paint, totally custom paint colour... or perhaps an off-centre stripe.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  5. #25
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,132
    Thanks
    376
    Thanked 119 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I hear you, that'd be fun to deal with.
    We'll look it over first. Not gonna spend a ton of money on it. If it can be repaired for around $2k I'll call it a win.
    Will this be a personal vehicle?

  6. #26
    Senior Member Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    In a box
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanks
    935
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 744 Posts
    Nope. I don't see any of these things being for sale any day soon. I'll keep the kia til it dies or starts having problems. Who know's though, I change my mind more often than underwear.


    Truck
    POS Nissan
    Optima

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •