Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will buy a Mirage soon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    The Mirage is a fine car. I think my old Metros are more enjoyable and are just as reliable and fuel efficient. But for new cars offered today the Mirage does stand out as a top pick for sure.

If you are able to pay cash certainly go for it! I have zero credit history, except a credit card that I pay in full each month. I've had it 4 years and my credit score is about 800. I'm sure you already know a credit score is how well someone can live with debt, not how good one is with money. Not needing the banks permission to buy makes so much more sense !

I've never understood that. A 3 cylinder Mirage or Geo Metro can cruise at 90 mph if desired, 95 or 100 even. Beyond 100 just about anywhere is the possibility of spending a night in jail. Then too, if you're going on a 2000 mile roadtrip 50 mpg sounds alot better than 20...

Taking a dealer loan to get a promotional price, and paying it off days later to not have to pay any interest... That basically counts as buying outright in my book.

Yikes, I paid like 5K less for half the miles, perfect condition, and knowing it's entire history in detail. Personally if I wasn't interested in perfect condition I wouldn't have batted an eye on getting another Metro for a grand. I think expensive used cars make little sense. The uncertainty of used, most the expense of new.

Which by the way, I may be buying another Metro soon. They're just so fun . I really don't need more cars though.
    The metro is cool but a complete death trap even compared to the mirage

How is getting 500 dollars to finance and paying it off a few days later the same as buying outright? Yeah it's the same, except for the 500.00 discount part lol

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageNewbie View Post
    Wow, I'm overwhelmed with your responses. This is very good considering that your insights might help not only me, but also other readers that are weighing to buy new VS used mirage. This is a solid forum. Thank you!

No matter what we do, car buying will always be a pain. And it doesn't help that I'm not in the US yet, but at least I have an idea already because of you guys.

I will surely use all of your cents, again, thank you!
    No problem. Car buying really is a pain. I bought my Mirage brand new in 2014 for $12,495 +$1,495 freight, and taxes 13% on top of all that. Then, 6 months later, Mitsubishi Canada changed the price to $9,999.00 for a base Mirage! And 10 year roadside assistance!

Very annoying. What can you do though, I needed a car and I saw 3 used cars with very explicit issues. Audi A4 with an alignment issue veering on dangerous; Dodge truck with rust; a Nissan Altima with MPH on the dash, and a water line seam around the whole car's interior. hmm. That car was in a flood, under 4 feet or more of water.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageNewbie View Post
    Wow, I'm overwhelmed with your responses. This is very good considering that your insights might help not only me, but also other readers that are weighing to buy new VS used mirage. This is a solid forum. Thank you!

No matter what we do, car buying will always be a pain. And it doesn't help that I'm not in the US yet, but at least I have an idea already because of you guys.

I will surely use all of your cents, again, thank you!
    We tend to babble on (pointing a finger at myself), and we do get off track at times. Dirk's male gonads pics are a prime example of that. Not everyone shares his sense of humor, but we all like Dirk just the same! If you find that sort of thing offensive, I apologize on behalf of all of us.

Focusing on your original post - I do remember one forum member finding a Mirage ES MANUAL deal that was under $11,000 OTD. That was back in June. I will paste Inuvik's thread below. When you read it, you will find that he got totally distracted on that traction & ended up bringing a 2019 Outlander Sport home instead.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...(Garage-entry)

While reading his story, you will notice the distance Inuvik was willing to travel (450 miles one way) for a good deal on a Mirage.

From what I have seen this year, the price on the Mirage ES MANUAL fluctuates approximately $1,000. Dealerships like White Bear Mitsubishi (in Minnesota) have been listing this car at $10,997 & $11,997. At the moment it's @ $11,997. One forum member shared a price of $10,250 from them. Having bought a Mirage from White Bear in 2017, I know tax, title, license, documentation fees, new Wisconsin plates, etc... added approximately $1000 to their asking price.

If White Bear is listing a Mirage for $10,997, it could be less than that. Not all dealers list their prices like this. Add $500 loyalty rebate, $500 veteran rebate, & $500 VIP rebate, the car @ White Bear is suddenly $9,497. If Ally is offering a finance incentive of $500, the car is now under $9,000.

Most people aren't probably going to join the military to get a $500 rebate. My point is White Bear lists a price that's available to everyone. That makes them a good place to start on pricing. The person that I shared above got his local dealer to almost match the $10,250 offer from White Bear, and he bought his 2019 Mirage ES MANUAL locally for $10,500. If you are interested in this conversation I will post this thread, too. You will want to read post #6 in it. Had he financed at the right time, his car would have been cheaper.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ot-over-47-MPG!)

I'm not sure obtaining a Mirage for $11,000 OTD is possible in Florida? Someone from that area would have to speak up. I do think $11,000-12,000 OTD is possible in some places, however.

As a general guide (for myself), I feel the Mirage starts becoming a great deal when it is listed somewhere near 70% of the window sticker pice. I pulled the trigger on a Mirage at 65.4% window sticker, but that was almost 2 years ago now. It was also later in the year when the following year models were appearing on the dealer's lots. In the past two model years, backup camera (mandated), Bluetooth, 6-way adjustable driver's seat, and cruise control has been added as standard features. Thus, comparing a 2017, 2018, & 2019 is not like comparing apples to apples. These new standard features have impacted the base level, & it has impacted pricing some, too.

If you can get a good deal on a Mirage, it's a car that is affordable, reliable, & very economical. I don't think paying twice as much for Toyota Prius c would make it more enjoyable than my Mirage. Since I only buys manuals, a Prius wouldn't happen anyways!

If you leave Ireland in good standing (credit-wise), I wouldn't rule out financing rebates. I am not clear on how credit scores transfer? It's not like your past credit history just disappears. Someone may have more input on that, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To the OP, I looked at the listing at Daytona Mitsubishi, and you should be aware that they are playing a lot of games. Here's the fine print on their price (a couple dubious items are bolded):

"Price excludes tax tag electronic filing fee and $998 dealer services fee. Prices include all rebates including Loyalty Customer Rebate Military Rebate and dealer discounts, as well as $1,500 cash/trade equity. The price does not include Destination & Handling Charge and dealer installed options. Any prices quoted on approved credit only. Must finance with Daytona Mitsubishi lenders."

So, assuming you don't qualify for the military and loyalty rebates, you're looking at: $8402 + $500 (military rebate) + $500 (loyalty rebate) + $865 (freight) + $998 (dealer fee--that's high even by Florida standards!) + $1500 (cash/trade equity) + ?? (electronic filing fee) = $12765 + tax (6%), title, and registration (roughly $400) = approximately $14,000 OTD. That's not a great price, but if you could dicker them down to under $13,000, it's not completely unreasonable. As other people have pointed out, $11,000 + tax, title, and registration is the lowest most dealerships would be willing to go on an ES 5MT, and even that's not a given.

They might be difficult to deal with, judging by their deceptive advertising. I've never seen a dealership include $1500 in trade/cash equity before--that's so shady it's almost funny. It's like saying "the price is $12,000, after you give me $1500 cash first." On the other hand, as long as you know what you're getting into, they might be fine to deal with.
    Last edited by mainertodd; 08-25-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    To the OP, I looked at the listing at Daytona Mitsubishi, and you should be aware that they are playing a lot of games. Here's the fine print on their price (a couple dubious items are bolded):

"Price excludes tax tag electronic filing fee and $998 dealer services fee. Prices include all rebates including Loyalty Customer Rebate Military Rebate and dealer discounts, as well as $1,500 cash/trade equity. The price does not include Destination & Handling Charge and dealer installed options. Any prices quoted on approved credit only. Must finance with Daytona Mitsubishi lenders."

So, assuming you don't qualify for the military and loyalty rebates, you're looking at: $8402 + $500 (military rebate) + $500 (loyalty rebate) + $865 (freight) + $998 (dealer fee--that's high even by Florida standards!) + $1500 (cash/trade equity) + ?? (electronic filing fee) = $12765 + tax (6%), title, and registration (roughly $400) = approximately $14,000 OTD. That's not a great price, but if you could dicker them down to under $13,000, it's not completely unreasonable. As other people have pointed out, $11,000 + tax, title, and registration is the lowest most dealerships would be willing to go on an ES 5MT, and even that's not a given.

They might be difficult to deal with, judging by their deceptive advertising. I've never seen a dealership include $1500 in trade/cash equity before--that's so shady it's almost funny. It's like saying "the price is $12,000, after you give me $1500 cash first." On the other hand, as long as you know what you're getting into, they might be fine to deal with.
    This is why you email dealerships and ask them their OTD price first. To me OTD price means everything! Tax, title, license, plates, documentation fees, are all included. I could care less how they crunch their numbers, & you may need to share some information for them to crunch your numbers correctly. A trade makes this more difficult. Otherwise, it's quite simple! I'm bringing a check. What amount needs to be on it?