Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Ireland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Will buy a Mirage soon.

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum.

I will be migrating to the US in the next couple of months, in Florida to be specific. I'm aware that having a car is a necessity in the US, and after months of research on what car to buy, I'm really decided to buy a Mirage. Like you guys, I giggle when in fact I drive the car the makes the most sense. Cheap, and economical that gets you to your destination reliably - you don't need anything more than that. I love driving, and driving a stick makes it more enjoyable and because of that, I'm leaning towards buying the '19 ES trim.

I'm buying brand new. There is just a feeling of peace when you know that your car won't break down anytime soon, because you know that you've changed your engine oil at proper intervals. Not to mention other maintenance a car owner MUST do. I'm a responsible car owner by the way - mostly DIY's.

SO yeah, I've checked car gurus and there is this dealer a few miles from my future location, It's called Daytona Mitsubishi. Apparently they have the best price of a brand new '19 ES manual in the US. only at less than 9k (of course plus dealer fees and etc). Obviously since I'm new to the US, I dont qualify for any rebate or discounts out there (like military, or loyalty) and will just rely on the manufacturer's discount which currently is at $500. It is also mentioned in the dealer's website that I must finance from them, to be able to get the discount. So again, I have no credit history, so there is very little chance that I can get a good deal out of a finance (if ever i will be approved for a finance in the first place). For those reasons, I'm planning to buy the car in cash. (please don't lecture me about getting a finance to build my credit, I'm a firm believer of David Ramsey which means I'm not a fan of having debt)

Do you think I can get a good cash deal? I'm hoping for an $11k out the door. Is that possible? Anybody here bought the car in cash?

Thanks in advance!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageNewbie For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-24-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageNewbie View Post

I will be migrating to the US in the next couple of months, in Florida to be specific. I'm aware that having a car is a necessity in the US, and after months of research on what car to buy, I'm really decided to buy a Mirage.
    Good luck with it! I think many people want a faster, or bulkier car, for the way the traveling expanses and roads are kind of a bigger scale in Canada/US compared to Europe. I'm sure that's a bit of a generalization there. You might want to see what life is like in Florida before pre-ordering your Mirage, then again, I have a 5 speed Mirage and have driven it across half of Ontario, and all of Michigan, no problem. I wish merging on the highway I had a bit more power, getting the manual is the smart choice. And being proactive driving a small car in a sea of SUV's and trucks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Ireland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Good luck with it! I think many people want a faster, or bulkier car, for the way the traveling expanses and roads are kind of a bigger scale in Canada/US compared to Europe. I'm sure that's a bit of a generalization there. You might want to see what life is like in Florida before pre-ordering your Mirage, then again, I have a 5 speed Mirage and have driven it across half of Ontario, and all of Michigan, no problem. I wish merging on the highway I had a bit more power, getting the manual is the smart choice. And being proactive driving a small car in a sea of SUV's and trucks.
    I'm doubtful that anything can change my mind now in buying a mirage haha! even despite the fact that roads in the US are much bigger than here in Ireland. You didn't have a problem driving your Mirage across Ontario, so I guess I won't too. I would like to add that this Mirage will be my 'own' vehicle, and I'm planning to get a 7-seater for my wife (and family) to use. Thanks for the advise anyway

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm doubtful that anything can change my mind now in buying a mirage haha! even despite the fact that roads in the US are much bigger than here in Ireland. You didn't have a problem driving your Mirage across Ontario, so I guess I won't too. I would like to add that this Mirage will be my 'own' vehicle, and I'm planning to get a 7-seater for my wife (and family) to use. Thanks for the advise anyway
    For sure, and I think maybe I didn't choose my words right. Truth be told, my Mirage is great fun to drive, and peppy in its own way. My Mirage has been reliable since new, and gets great gas mileage.

Can't ask for much more for a car that is for just me. Hope the move goes well. I might be visiting Ireland one day in the near future because you can get direct flights from Hamilton, Ontario to Dublin. So it's easier than Toronto to Dublin, Toronto is growing so much it's crazy to drive there and that is what turns me off with the Mirage and driving urban areas here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Ireland
    Thanks
    I might be visiting Ireland one day in the near future because you can get direct flights from Hamilton, Ontario to Dublin. So it's easier than Toronto to Dublin, Toronto is growing so much it's crazy to drive there and that is what turns me off with the Mirage and driving urban areas here.
    Goodluck! Ireland is a lovely place to drive! But remember, drivers are on the right side of the car, and cars are on the left side of the road!

my Mirage is great fun to drive, and peppy in its own way. My Mirage has been reliable since new, and gets great gas mileage.
    The exact reason why we like this car. Most fuel efficient non hybrid car in the US

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts

I will be migrating to the US in the next couple of months, in Florida to be specific.
    Hello MirageNewbie. Welcome to the forum, and best wishes on your upcoming move.

I recall RC Hill Mitsubishi - a dealer in Deland, Florida - as advertising the lowest prices in the country but I haven't heard much about their prices for the past few years. However, I strongly doubt you'll be able to get the deal you are hoping for.

The problem with car dealers in Florida is the state government allows dealers to charge whatever fees they want, without restriction. The advertised prices will be significantly different than the final price. So shop around by calling dealers without mentioning financing. Call and get quotes from as many dealers as you can and go with the best price. See if you can get some dealers to lower their price to earn your business. But do yourself a favor and make all these phone calls before ever setting foot inside their showroom.

So keep in touch. We've got more than a few members from Florida here on the forum and hopefully they will chime in with their experience and advice to help you out. Let us know if you have any questions and we'll do our best to lend a hand.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

I will be migrating to the US in the next couple of months, in Florida to be specific. I'm aware that having a car is a necessity in the US, and after months of research on what car to buy, I'm really decided to buy a Mirage. Like you guys, I giggle when in fact I drive the car the makes the most sense. Cheap, and economical that gets you to your destination reliably - you don't need anything more than that. I love driving, and driving a stick makes it more enjoyable and because of that, I'm leaning towards buying the '19 ES trim.

I'm buying brand new. There is just a feeling of peace when you know that your car won't break down anytime soon, because you know that you've changed your engine oil at proper intervals. Not to mention other maintenance a car owner MUST do. I'm a responsible car owner by the way - mostly DIY's.

SO yeah, I've checked car gurus and there is this dealer a few miles from my future location, It's called Daytona Mitsubishi. Apparently they have the best price of a brand new '19 ES manual in the US. only at less than 9k (of course plus dealer fees and etc). Obviously since I'm new to the US, I dont qualify for any rebate or discounts out there (like military, or loyalty) and will just rely on the manufacturer's discount which currently is at $500. It is also mentioned in the dealer's website that I must finance from them, to be able to get the discount. So again, I have no credit history, so there is very little chance that I can get a good deal out of a finance (if ever i will be approved for a finance in the first place). For those reasons, I'm planning to buy the car in cash. (please don't lecture me about getting a finance to build my credit, I'm a firm believer of David Ramsey which means I'm not a fan of having debt)

Do you think I can get a good cash deal? I'm hoping for an $11k out the door. Is that possible? Anybody here bought the car in cash?

Thanks in advance!
    Sadly, American dealerships don't follow the advice of David Ramsey. My dad, brother, & myself had to finance to get the best deals on our last vehicle purchases.

In the case of my dad & brother, they were buying GM vehicles and wanted to pay cash. My dad financed the vehicle, and he paid off the entire loan before the first payment was due with no penalty. If you have a lien on a vehicle in Wisconsin, you don't received your title until the loan is paid off. My dad took the financing because it saved him a good chunk of money. It just delayed getting his title a month or two. He was also buying something (GMC Terrain) a little more expensive than a Mirage.

My brother did the same thing this past spring when buying a GMC pickup truck. Financing saved him thousands of dollars. In his case, he was told to wait until the third payment to pay off his new truck.

Financing my Mirage in 2017, I was also told to wait 3 months to pay it off or refinance the loan. In my case, however, I only saved $500 at the time. Then again, a Mirage is a much cheaper vehicle to begin with. Financing, however, was very simple. I applied on line through the dealership. My Mirage was delivered to my home. 3 months later I refinanced my car as used for a lower rate @ my local credit union. I could have paid off the car at that time, too.

My dad, brother, & I played their game to get the best deal. Financing & add on products are where dealerships are generating their profits these days. It's sort of sad when paying with cash can't get you the best deal any more. My brother got an extra $3000 off his pickup truck, because he had a GM credit card. He cut the card up a year prior to this purchase, and he never used the card. They still have him a $3000 credit for the card he no longer had. He was honest with them. If he was questioned on it later, he was asked if he would apply for another card. For $3000 off, he said yes. Thus, he got the extra $3,000 discount. Crazy!

The Mirage is a great second vehicle for a family. I think you will be very happy with it. I think the 2019 ES Manual is a great package. The addition of cruise in 2019 is especially nice. As far as price goes, I found shopping on line (via cars.com & autotrader.com) to be very difficult. Everyone lists their car very differently. Some include rebates you may be eligible for. Others may exclude rebates. It's sort of a mess, & it can be a waste of time.

I prefer emailing dealerships over phone calls. Whatever is shared is in writing that way. I wouldn't waste time asking us what we think on this. I would ask the dealerships you are interested in dealing with this question. Email them and ask for their OTD price. When you write them a check or hand them cash, what will it cost you? It's a very fair question! To say otherwise is just silly! If they can't share their OTD price, red flags should be going off!

How cars are priced in Florida may be very different than Wisconsin, but it's the OTD price that really matters. I would cut through the crap and just ask them what it is? I couldn't tell you all the rebates and discounts I received at the time of purchase. I let them work through their own garbage to give me a good price. I just know financing gave me another $500 off, & I was buying a Mirage that was already under $10,000 brand new at the time.

A base level Mirage (two years later) has more features now, & I would expect to pay a bit more. If you are comfortable with it, keep us posted on how things go. Not having a trade to mess with should really help the process, too!

One last consideration & reason to check around - I test drove a Mirage locally. I got the best deal from a dealership 4 hours away. I save thousands OTD on an already cheap Mirage.

Welcome to the States, this forum, and good luck with your Mirage purchase!!!!!
    Last edited by Mark; 08-24-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ......it's the OTD price that really matters. I would cut through the crap and just ask them what it is?
    Yeah...be careful. Lots of "creative" pricing is being posted on dealership websites so their super-low Mirage price shows up first in other automotive website shopping tools. Daytona Mitsubishi is twisting figures like a pretzel to arrive at their posted Mirage price.

Here's the lowest priced Mirage currently on the Daytona Mitsubishi website.
    Nobody is buying a Mirage for $8352 from this dealer even if they qualify for everything!

Name:  deal1.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  daytona.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  98.2 KB

$ 8352..Website price
    $ 998...Dealer Services Fee (made-up fee...usually outrageous in Florida)
    $ 945...Destination (every Mirage has this charge on the window sticker)
    $ 250...Loyalty Rebate (only if you currently own a Mitsubishi)
    $ 750...Military Rebate (only if you are in US military or a veteran)
    $ 1500..Cash/trade down payment (why use this in a website price?)

$12795..Real price before sales tax, license, dealer options
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 08-26-2019 at 03:44 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Yeah...be careful. Lots of "creative" pricing being posted on dealership websites. Daytona Mitsubishi is certainly twisting figures like a pretzel to arrive at their posted pricing. Here's the lowest priced Mirage currently on their website...

Name:  daytona.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  98.2 KB
    Shopping for Mitsubishi Mirage was somewhat disgusting. Just being honest here! Initially, it was such a turn off to me. If I hadn't discovered a decent Mitsubishi dealership (took some effort on my part), I may have something else in my driveway.

I will never visit another dealership without knowing their OTD price first. Life is to short to waste it at a car dealership. If they want to add garbage to the deal, it will be reflected in their OTD price. They aren't stupid either. If you aren't in their building, they know you are still shopping elsewhere.

If they give you an OTD price, I would't expect to pay one penny more. If that OTD price changes, I would walk away. Obviously, rebates come and go, I wouldn't expect an OTD price to be good for very long. Then again, they may contact you when it can be a better price, too!

In the end, you may find a better price elsewhere. In all fairness, I think it's appropriate to ask the closer dealer to match that price. You're the customer. You call the shots!

I really like my Mirage, & I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one tomorrow. The lack of dealerships in my area is the only knock I have. I seldom use dealerships (only for warranty or recall work), & I feel the Mirage is very reliable & easy to work on. My nearest Mitsubishi dealership is 65 miles away, & I hope that I will never have to go there.

By comparison, there are over 25 Chevy dealerships that are closer to me. Yet, I never bothered to even look at Chevy Spark.

Personally, I think the Mirage has done quite well despite the lack of good dealerships, U.S. car critic snobs, and pricing that's way more confusing than it needs to be. The Mirage is a great valve, but it took some effort on my part to figure that out. The other things I just mentioned were definitely working against it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I understand your position on buying new, because I felt the same when I bought mine. But knowing what I know now about how bulletproof these cars are, I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. You can get a 17 with low miles for half of that. No way you will rack up 6 grand of repairs even if the engine fell out. Just my two copper shiny thingys
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)