Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will buy a Mirage soon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will mirror others. I would shop all dealers near you only online and get their out the door price. Tell them you don't have a lot of time and just want the bottom line. If they give you the run around you can either stop emailing or ask for a mgr and ask again(via email or phone) for their otd price. Very simple. I'd say straight up I don't have time to play numbers games and dealer four square crap.

I wouldn't and don't even walk into a dealership without them sending me a purchase contract or something in writing stating the numbers and the final price. Simple and effective.

Welcome aboard, keep us posted.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I understand your position on buying new, because I felt the same when I bought mine. But knowing what I know now about how bulletproof these cars are, I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. You can get a 17 with low miles for half of that. No way you will rack up 6 grand of repairs even if the engine fell out. Just my two copper shiny thingys

I normally would agree with you. I typically like to buy a vehicle that is 2-4 years old with low mileage. If you can get a good deal on a new ES manual, however, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the new one.

I will preface this by saying, I only search for manuals. When I do a 500 mile radius search (SW Wisconsin) on used 2017+ Mirages, they seem to be holding their value quite well. Used manuals aren't as common either.

cars.com lists -
    2017 Mirage ES with 28,623 miles for $8,900. (I paid $9,299 for this same car new.)
    2018 Mirage ES with 11,100 miles for $9,990.

autotrader.com lists -
    lists the same Mirage ES with 11,100 miles above for $9,999 (@ White Bear)
    2019 Mirage ES with 6,869 miles for $12,223.
    2019 Mirage ES with 7,357 miles for $13,400 (Dealership I used to test drive a Mirage.)

In a 500 miles radius from my home, that's it. A person may find a much better deal on craigslist.com from a private party, but once again manuals are rare. We are also discussing this with someone who presently doesn't even live in the States.

When I realized that I could get a brand new Mirage ES Manual for under $10,000, I gave up looking at used cars. I was willing to pay a little extra for an updated Mirage. Two years ago, that meant buying a new 2017. I will add the base model Mirage is not a stripped down car in the U.S. It has some really nice features. Having said that, I wouldn't pay anywhere near window sticker.

Two years later, I would still consider a new one over the used market on this car. I wouldn't compared used 2017+ Mirages to the window stickers of new ones. I would compare them to discounted new ones.
    Last edited by Mark; 08-24-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Dont be scared to punch it on Florida highway onramps the little 3cyl has more pep than you think. I drive uber as a side hustle in one of the most dangerous cities in regards to car accident fatalities so I can speak to these lil cars doing just fine cruising in the Thunderdome aka American highways.

Also check out the CVT version if your moving to a highly conjested metropolis. Granted its not rock solid as a manual transmission, nothing is, but its been reliable for the majority of owners, myself included lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't see anyone else mention these things, so I'll note them:

1) Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure you DON'T have to finance with the dealer to get the $500 rebate. If the dealership is telling you that, they're lying to you.

2) The $500 rebate is extremely low by Mitsubishi's standards. It expires on 3 September, so there should be a new one coming out for the remainder of September. Once the 2020s start rolling in, the rebate on the 2019s *should* go higher.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    I didn't see anyone else mention these things, so I'll note them:

1) Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure you DON'T have to finance with the dealer to get the $500 rebate. If the dealership is telling you that, they're lying to you.

2) The $500 rebate is extremely low by Mitsubishi's standards. It expires on 3 September, so there should be a new one coming out for the remainder of September. Once the 2020s start rolling in, the rebate on the 2019s *should* go higher.
    Ally (Mitsubishi's main lender) will offer $500-1000 rebate for financing quite often. It has nothing to do with the other rebates. I have no clue what rebates/discounts I got on my Mirage. I let the dealer deal with the financial messiness Mitsubishi creates with their cars. That's why I skip all the garbage, & ask for the OTD price.

I agree rebates/deals aren't the greatest right now. If 2019 inventory is still quite high, I would suspect you are totally correct. Deals should get better!

My local Mitsubishi dealer wants $13,400 for 2018 ES MANUAL with 7,357 miles. I'm sorry, but for that price I would be buying a used 130 hp Honda Fit instead. Yet, this dealership sells cars, because they prey on people with poor financing. I used them for a test drive two years ago & walked away.

If a base level Mirage in Canada has a MSRP of $10,998 (= $8250 American), Mitsubishi should be able to sell a decently equipped Mirage for $10,000-12,000 here. Just my opinion on things. Not saying I am right!!!!
    Last edited by Mark; 08-25-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Also check out the CVT version if your moving to a highly conjested metropolis. Granted its not rock solid as a manual transmission, nothing is, but its been reliable for the majority of owners, myself included lol.
    CVT adds approximately $1,200 to the MSRP of a Mirage. Not sure how that translate in the final deal? If someone states they want a manual, I see no reason to pay extra for a CVT.

Manuals are pretty rock solid & cheaper. Changing transmission oil is very simple, & no filters are needed. I am not convinced CVTs are designed to last the life of a vehicle, but I could be wrong about that.

Country
    Ireland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wow, I'm overwhelmed with your responses. This is very good considering that your insights might help not only me, but also other readers that are weighing to buy new VS used mirage. This is a solid forum. Thank you!

No matter what we do, car buying will always be a pain. And it doesn't help that I'm not in the US yet, but at least I have an idea already because of you guys.

I will surely use all of your cents, again, thank you!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageNewbie For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-25-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Definitely get a pair of truck nutz to go on your hitch too if you want to fit in on American streets. Name:  7ab27cab81e34011.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  52.6 KB

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    And yes, those are Texas size nutz.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage is a fine car. I think my old Metros are more enjoyable and are just as reliable and fuel efficient. But for new cars offered today the Mirage does stand out as a top pick for sure.

If you are able to pay cash certainly go for it! I have zero credit history, except a credit card that I pay in full each month. I've had it 4 years and my credit score is about 800. I'm sure you already know a credit score is how well someone can live with debt, not how good one is with money. Not needing the banks permission to buy makes so much more sense !

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9
    I think many people want a faster, or bulkier car, for the way the traveling expanses and roads are kind of a bigger scale in Canada/US compared to Europe.
    I've never understood that. A 3 cylinder Mirage or Geo Metro can cruise at 90 mph if desired, 95 or 100 even. Beyond 100 just about anywhere is the possibility of spending a night in jail. Then too, if you're going on a 2000 mile roadtrip 50 mpg sounds alot better than 20...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    My dad financed the vehicle, and he paid off the entire loan before the first payment was due with no penalty.
    Taking a dealer loan to get a promotional price, and paying it off days later to not have to pay any interest... That basically counts as buying outright in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    My local Mitsubishi dealer wants $13,400 for 2018 ES MANUAL with 7,357 miles.
    Yikes, I paid like 5K less for half the miles, perfect condition, and knowing it's entire history in detail. Personally if I wasn't interested in perfect condition I wouldn't have batted an eye on getting another Metro for a grand. I think expensive used cars make little sense. The uncertainty of used, most the expense of new.

Which by the way, I may be buying another Metro soon. They're just so fun . I really don't need more cars though.