Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IDEAS? key in ignition, doors locked, spare key doesn't work - 2016 Mirage Australia

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for everyone's input.
    I managed to use an inflatable wedge to open the door enough to slip an bent aluminum rod to reach the door handle.
    Luckily no damage.
    I figured out that the used car dealer swapped the drivers door out following a minor accident but not the lock.
    So neither of my keys open the door mechanically.

You can bet I am furious. Not furious that the car as been in an accident (that was evident before I bought it), but that they didn't even bother swapping out the door lock. I have had the car for about 1 month now, so I will be demanding that they fix that.

On the positive note I'm happy I found this site.
    Cheers

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BitMan For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-25-2019),Fummins (08-26-2019),Loren (08-25-2019),MetroMPG (08-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BitMan View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input.
    I managed to use an inflatable wedge to open the door enough to slip an bent aluminum rod to reach the door handle.
    Luckily no damage.
    I figured out that the used car dealer swapped the drivers door out following a minor accident but not the lock.

You can bet I am furious. Not furious that the car as been in an accident (that was evident before I bought it), but that they didn't even bother swapping out the door lock. I have had the car for about 1 month now, so I will be demanding that they fix that.

On the positive note I'm happy I found this site.
    Cheers
    That surely solves the mystery of the keys not working!!!!!

To the op, can’t help you with that one.
    Our cars have regular keys with keyless entry. I’ve had at least a dozen drivers do the same thing in 15-17’s. They musta hit the button while turning the key? But as far as I recall I was able to unlock the doors with the second key with the fob? I’ll double check that though one year
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    To the op, can’t help you with that one.
    Our cars have regular keys with keyless entry. I’ve had at least a dozen drivers do the same thing in 15-17’s. They musta hit the button while turning the key? But as far as I recall I was able to unlock the doors with the second key with the fob? I’ll double check that though one year
    The second key will surely open the door.

The remote lock/unlock will not operate while the key is in the ignition. It is disabled. That was a new discovery for me at least.

If you push the power lock button on the door while the key is in the ignition, it will automatic unlock itself. Locking your keys in the car would be a challenge that some have apparently overcome.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Bit Man, thanks for pointing out this issue! We are warned.

Hey mate, why do you have an Austrian flag next to your name, you are in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post

Hey mate, why do you have an Austrian flag next to your name, you are in Australia?
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say yes. He's from Australia. Unless of course he changes his location every week like I do?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by BitMan View Post
    That's terrible!

Glad you solved the mystery though.

I once had a "1 key" car where I'd eventually replaced both the ignition cylinder and one of the front door handles with used parts... but I had the associated keys. Thus it became a 3-key car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The second key will surely open the door.

The remote lock/unlock will not operate while the key is in the ignition. It is disabled. That was a new discovery for me at least.

If you push the power lock button on the door while the key is in the ignition, it will automatic unlock itself. Locking your keys in the car would be a challenge that some have apparently overcome.
    I learned something. I figured they had to have some type of idiot proof design. Just checked a 15' and it's impossible to lock the drivers door with the key in the ignition! Like you said, the buttons on the key/fob don't work, the power lock switch on the door will lock and unlock right away. Even if you manually move the drivers lock lever by hand it will still unlock itself.

Now I gotta learn how the hell we always have people manage to lock the key's in a running Mirage in the winter.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I learned something. I figured they had to have some type of idiot proof design. Just checked a 15' and it's impossible to lock the drivers door with the key in the ignition! Like you said, the buttons on the key/fob don't work, the power lock switch on the door will lock and unlock right away. Even if you manually move the drivers lock lever by hand it will still unlock itself.

Now I gotta learn how the hell we always have people manage to lock the key's in a running Mirage in the winter.
    I'd be curious to learn how they do it, too?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I have a 1999 Eclipse with a not-so-convenient self-lock feature.

If you unlock the doors with a fob, you have something like 2 minutes to physically open the driver's door. If you don't, both doors will automatically re-lock. I have locked myself out of that car by unlocking the doors with the fob, opening the passenger side door for quick access to something, and then leaving the keys sitting on the front seat in the process. Since I didn't open the driver's door, both doors lock after 2 minutes and I'm hosed.

I'm a slow learner...so that's happened to me a few times.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)