Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IDEAS? key in ignition, doors locked, spare key doesn't work - 2016 Mirage Australia

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I have a 1999 Eclipse with a not-so-convenient self-lock feature.

If you unlock the doors with a fob, you have something like 2 minutes to physically open the driver's door. If you don't, both doors will automatically re-lock. I have locked myself out of that car by unlocking the doors with the fob, opening the passenger side door for quick access to something, and then leaving the keys sitting on the front seat in the process. Since I didn't open the driver's door, both doors lock after 2 minutes and I'm hosed.

I'm a slow learner...so that's happened to me a few times.
    I don't think that feature ever went away with power locks. My 2017 Mirage & my 2011 Subaru Forester will re-lock if you don't pull on a door handle within minute or so. I just tested my Mirage. Unlocked it with the remote, & it re-lock itself about a minute later.

My thought is - if you unlock your car accidentally (putting your keys in your pocket for example) & didn't mean for it to be unlocked, it would re-lock itself for you. Annoying I know!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    The only car I never worried about locking my keys in it was my 1978 Honda Civic Wagon. It had manual locks, but you couldn't push the lock down on the driver's door while it was open. The only way you could lock the driver's door was inserting the key and locking it. I suppose you could have crawled through the passenger side and locked yourself out, but that would taken some extra effort to accomplish something you didn't want to happen in the first place.

I never trust power locks. I pull my key from the car every time, except around home (where the second key is hanging).

That's a new one^. I've seen lots of older imports where you could lock from inside with the door open but had to hold the outer handle up while closing otherwise it'd unlock itself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    hold the outer handle up while closing otherwise it'd unlock itself.
    thats an old import trick