Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDEAS? key in ignition, doors locked, spare key doesn't work - 2016 Mirage Australia

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question IDEAS? key in ignition, doors locked, spare key doesn't work - 2016 Mirage Australia

The door closed and locked me out with the key in ignition set to ACC. I went inside to get the spare key only to find that it no longer opens the door manually and the wireless unlock button does nothing. Both keys work fine and never had any issues (it is not FAST key system). Seems like the key in ignition has prevented the spare from working.

I will have to use a wedge and long reach tool unless anyone has a suggestion. Any ideas on what I could try?

Solved!
    Quote Originally Posted by BitMan View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input.
    I managed to use an inflatable wedge to open the door enough to slip an bent aluminum rod to reach the door handle.
    Luckily no damage.
    I figured out that the used car dealer swapped the drivers door out following a minor accident but not the lock.
    So neither of my keys open the door mechanically.

You can bet I am furious. Not furious that the car as been in an accident (that was evident before I bought it), but that they didn't even bother swapping out the door lock. I have had the car for about 1 month now, so I will be demanding that they fix that.

On the positive note I'm happy I found this site.
    Cheers

Last edited by Eggman; 08-25-2019 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Added solution

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Have you tried both doors? At least one should work completely mechanically, else you couldn't open it when the battery is down. Try also the trunk, if it has a keyhole.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks Space Wolf. Unfortunately, only the driver's door has a keyhole on my model hatch.
    I didn't even think it was possible to lock the car with door open while the key was still in ignition.
    Maybe someone brave wants to run a test on theirs, but be sure to roll down your windows first?
    Last edited by BitMan; 08-24-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Thanks Space Wolf. Unfortunately, only the driver's door has a keyhole on my model hatch.
    I didn't even think it was possible to lock the car with door open while the key was still in ignition.
    Maybe someone brave wants to run a test on theirs, but be sure to roll down your windows first?
    I just went out and tested mine. The driver's door will not lock while the key is in the ignition and the door is open. When you push the lock button on the door, it pops back open right away. Thus, you are right about that. It will lock when the door is closed, however. I reach through the window, & it locked with the door closed (key still in the ignition).

Other things I noticed. My second remote wouldn't operate the locks while the other key is in the ignition. I could open the door by pushing the unlock button the driver's door or using my second key. I couldn't lock the car with the second remote either. The remote doesn't seem to work when the key is in the ignition at all.

My second key did unlocked the car with no issue, however. It's a very soft click when it unlocks, however.

My hatchback only has a key hole on the driver's door, too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BitMan (08-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    and the wireless unlock button does nothing
    Hello BitMan and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your predicament.

Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying that the wireless remote unlock isn't working. Do you think replacing it's battery will help?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hello BitMan and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your predicament.

Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying that the wireless remote unlock isn't working. Do you think replacing it's battery will help?
    The key in the ignition seems to disable the remote from working. I just tested it. With one key in the ignition, the remote will not work. It does nothing. I can reach through an open window and unlock the car or use the second key to unlock it.

It's not a battery issue. I thought that, too!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BitMan (08-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The key in the ignition seems to disable the remote from working. I just tested it. With one key in the ignition, the remote will not work. It does nothing. I can reach through an open window and unlock the car or use the second key to unlock it.

It's not a battery issue. I thought that, too!
    Ugh, that stinks. Add that the the Mirage Quirks thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BitMan (08-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The door closed and locked me out with the key in ignition set to ACC. I went inside to get the spare key only to find that it no longer opens the door manually and the wireless unlock button does nothing. Both keys work fine and never had any issues (it is not FAST key system). Seems like the key in ignition has prevented the spare from working.

I will have to use a wedge and long reach tool unless anyone has a suggestion. Any ideas on what I could try?
    Slipping a stiff wire (like an straightened out clothing hanger) through the top of the door seam & pushing down on the unlock button should work.

My second key, however, manually unlocked the car while the other key was in the ignition. I tried it while the key was in accessory mode, too. The door lock/unlock button also works. I just had the advantage of having the window open to test that.

I will say this - When I used the key to unlock the car (which I never tried before today), it didn't feel like a mechanical unlocking of the car. It felt more like an electrical unlock of the door? I would think it was mechanically unlock. If so, the key turned quite easily & it was a very soft click to unlock.
    Last edited by Mark; 08-24-2019 at 03:14 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BitMan (08-25-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have a base model Mirage ES, with manual locks. I locked my keys in my car twice, and had to get roadside assistance to help me out.

They used one of those thin metal fishes or whatever. The straight coat-hanger type of thing that gets between the windowsill and flips the lock on the door from the inside. A few scratches later. Hope it goes well for you Bitman sorry for your luck!

My car has 3 actual lock and key locks, so now I just leave my hatchback door unlocked all of the time.

Around here I don't even worry much about locking my doors anyways.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

BitMan (08-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have a base model Mirage ES, with manual locks. I locked my keys in my car twice, and had to get roadside assistance to help me out.

They used one of those thin metal fishes or whatever. The straight coat-hanger type of thing that gets between the windowsill and flips the lock on the door from the inside. A few scratches later. Hope it goes well for you Bitman sorry for your luck!

My car has 3 actual lock and key locks, so now I just leave my hatchback door unlocked all of the time.

Around here I don't even worry much about locking my doors anyways.
    The base level Mirage in the U.S. comes with with remote power locks, power windows, A/C, cruise (starting in 2019), etc.... It's really not all that basic, and the MSRP price somewhat reflects that.

Thus, our base level Mirage has one door key lock on the driver's door. The hatch door locks/unlocks with the rest of the car using the remote or lock buttons on the front doors. You can't really manipulate the rear hatch door outside of the other doors.

You make another good point, however! Roadside assistance (which is 5-years/unlimited miles in the U.S.) should help someone locked out of their car.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BitMan (08-25-2019)