Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: nameless :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    nameless
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    blue
    5 speed

base model without any options

Details

lower grille and letter slot partially blocked (depending on outside air temps), hood gap sealed with bicycle inner tube and pipe insulation, fog light gaps covered in aluminum tape from the inside

LED bulbs at parking/side marker/license plate lights

Weathertech side window deflectors

antenna removed

removed back seat for sleeping/hauling capacity

added sound deadening material to back seat/trunk area and hatch door (Protecto-Wrap)

Weathertech front floor mats

ScangaugeII, flash drive loaded with music attached to the USB port in the glove box

•  

warm air intake made of 3" dryer duct running from intake snout to exhaust manifold heat shield, wrapped in duct insulation

also insulated the intake tube and airbox

engine blanket

Ultra Racing rear anti-sway bar purchased from Evan at NextGenTuning.com

stock steel wheels have holes covered with aluminum tape, smooth wheel covers made by Hella

Comments: 35 / Views: 42205
    You could use a fish scale How many pounds pressure before the car starts to roll on each type of tire?

(At the same pressure, of course.)

Or, what I did: find a gentle hill with a long run-out (I used an empty parking lot). At the same tire pressure, roll the car in N from the same start position multiple times, and mark the pavement with chalk wherever it stops. Change tires, rinse, repeat. Compare the 2 sets of chalk marks.

Since you have 2 Mirages, you could do the comparison without having to change tires! It'll take you 15 minutes, tops.

There was a big difference in rolling resistance when I did my own tire comparisons, here:

Testing rolling resistance of the Various Tires of the Suzukiclone Fleet (RE92 wins)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't gotten around to testing rolling resistance yet, but I did install an Ultra Racing rear anti-sway bar today. I bought it from Evan at NextGenTuning in Clearwater, Florida, USA. It took me an hour and 15 minutes to install, start to finish. This included unwrapping the bar, cleaning crud off the mounting areas of my car, installation and putting tools away/cleanup. The installation was simple. Most of the time involved was getting tools out, prepping the car and cleaning up. I followed gls2001's DIY steps and they were very helpful (thanks again).

Name:  sway 006.jpg
Views: 2575
Size:  98.3 KB

I'll post my impressions after I spend some time behind the wheel.

Thanks to Daox and Evan for putting together the group buy.
    Last edited by fifteenwindow; 03-19-2014 at 11:07 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-31-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Cool stuff, I'm eager to hear more reviews on the sway bar.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

15 minutes! :O Nice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    It took me an hour and 15 minutes to install, start to finish.
    Take another look.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Oops! I see now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was asked for pictures of my mileage. Here's where it's at today, with just 30 miles on this tank:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  75.4 KB

I'll post more later, once I get further into this tank.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Any impressions to share of your stabilizer bar now that it's been on for a while?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am enjoying the sway bar. The improvements that I've noticed are:

1. I can maintain higher speeds on turns like clover leaf style entry/exit ramps on the freeway, as that creepy lean is gone.
    2. Steering is more responsive.
    3. My car maintains its position better when I am passed by trucks (I don't get blown around as much).

The car is just more fun to drive. Like the way it feels to ride your skinny-tired road bike after being on your mountain bike all winter.

I'd recommend it to anyone. It's an inexpensive upgrade, for all you get out of it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-31-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for sharing the review with us!