2014 Manual ES with 54.5k miles. A a few hundred miles ago I started noticing a whine that I had not heard before. It sounds like it's from the engine compartment. It has the following characteristics
- Starts to be audible when engine temp hits around 130F (via ScanGauge). Not audible when engine is cold
- Noticeable in the 2k - 3k RPM range. Louder under acceleration.
- After a good half hour or so of driving (doesn't seem to matter what kind of driving) it disappears. However, will re-appear after the car has sat and cooled back down.
- I changed oil and filter last weekend and surprisingly the whine disappeared ... for about a week. It just started up again.
- Using Castrol Edge 0W 20 with Wix 51356 filter. I change the oil every 5k.
- The closest forum post I've found to what I'm hearing is this one. This YouTube is pretty much what I'm hearing.
Anyone run into this, or have any theories? From the forum post linked above (which is for a 4-runner), the theories are oil pump, oil filter, alternator, or timing belt tensioner. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.