Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Whine Coming from Engine

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New Whine Coming from Engine

Hi All,

2014 Manual ES with 54.5k miles. A a few hundred miles ago I started noticing a whine that I had not heard before. It sounds like it's from the engine compartment. It has the following characteristics
    • Starts to be audible when engine temp hits around 130F (via ScanGauge). Not audible when engine is cold
    • Noticeable in the 2k - 3k RPM range. Louder under acceleration.
    • After a good half hour or so of driving (doesn't seem to matter what kind of driving) it disappears. However, will re-appear after the car has sat and cooled back down.
    • I changed oil and filter last weekend and surprisingly the whine disappeared ... for about a week. It just started up again.
    • Using Castrol Edge 0W 20 with Wix 51356 filter. I change the oil every 5k.
    • The closest forum post I've found to what I'm hearing is this one. This YouTube is pretty much what I'm hearing.

Anyone run into this, or have any theories? From the forum post linked above (which is for a 4-runner), the theories are oil pump, oil filter, alternator, or timing belt tensioner. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    We just had a report of a bad alternator bearing.

whats that noise? Update: Alternator bearing

I wonder if it's related.
    Last edited by Eggman; 08-26-2019 at 02:43 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BeanSproutExpress (08-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just for a goof, when the engine is hot & it's making the noise, Turn it OFF, remove the key from the ignition, (Safety 1st), remove the accessory drive belt & start the engine. If the noise is gone, it's one of the accessory's the belt drives, & if it's still there, It's deeper into the engine. Also when the belt is off, give the pulleys a spin by hand, you may feel / hear something....
    Just my thoughts,
    Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Anyone run into this, or have any theories? From the forum post linked above (which is for a 4-runner), the theories are oil pump, oil filter, alternator, or timing belt tensioner. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Hi BeanSproutExpress. It's connected to you accelerating. I don't know what it is, a belt issue? So my advice, take it to a mechanic.

Looking forward to an update! Best of luck

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks all. I'll pull the belt this weekend and update you all. Thank you Eggman for pointing to the alternator post.

I suspect the perceived correlation with oil changes is just coincidence. Seems odd to me that changing an oil filter would impact this at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanSproutExpress View Post
    Thanks all. I'll pull the belt this weekend and update you all. Thank you Eggman for pointing to the alternator post.

I suspect the perceived correlation with oil changes is just coincidence. Seems odd to me that changing an oil filter would impact this at all.

I, too, like the "pull the belt" diagnostic; it should quickly tell you if its an accessory whine or if its in the engine. Just a hypothesis, but with the sound going away after extended driving, then coming back after being shut off...that could point to alternator noise as it works to recharge the battery after each start. Looking forward to what you find out. Get the battery checked while you're at it, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanSproutExpress View Post
    Thanks all. I'll pull the belt this weekend and update you all.
    Hey BeanSproutExpress what did you find? The suspense is unbearable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Update needed...
    This forum is usually a big help to avoid going paying someone else to fix these things. Hopefully you didn't take the go to mechanic and get fisted advice? There's always that one.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    His last activity was on August 25th. Hopefully he didn't shell out a ton of money to get it fixed. I heard of some people spending hundreds of dollars replacing parts when the car just had a bad ground you could fix yourself.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Drives me nuts when people ask for help and then don't report back with the outcome.

Or maybe he got run over by a bus before he could? In which case, thoughts and prayers!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-28-2019),Pryme (10-28-2019),Top_Fuel (10-27-2019)