Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I Hate About The Mirage.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    1. At certain times on a sunny day the bloody reflection from the dashboard onto the windshield is so annoying.
    I had that same issue. Gets kinda glarey here in Washington. I got a dash cover and its gone.
    2. I keep getting the sodding keys out of my pocket only to then realise I don't need them. After 43 years of driving it will be a difficult habit to break.
    LOL
    3. Why is there not a dedicated pen holder? In the UK our Mirage's have a shelf just above the glove compartment where pens and odds & ends get dumped. Going over rough road means all on the shelf makes an awful racket.
    Maybe get a small case to put everything in. I have a first aid kit and I put some stuff in there.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    To summarise then, a good honest, cheap, reasonable car.
    I sort of like the Mirage as is. I especially like the powertrain of the 5-speed manual.

One wish list item - The old 1988-93 Ford Festiva hatchbacks (designed by Mazda, made by KIA, sold by Ford) had rear seats that folded up (not just down). You could literally fold the rear seats up (sort of a double flip), & the back of the front seats would keep the rear seats compressed together. A large flat cargo area was left underneath. It made the cargo area much more useable when the rear seats were rolled up. You could even flip them the other way & create a flat rear seat. For a very cheap, small car, it had awesome cargo space (because of the rear seat design).

I actually found a very short clip of what of I am describing. Wish the lighting was better so you could see inside the car better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFvoStEvIxM

The rear seats on a Mirage hatchback (that just flip down) are quite lame by comparison.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I sort of like the Mirage as is. I especially like the powertrain of the 5-speed manual.

One wish list item - The old 1988-93 Ford Festiva hatchbacks (designed by Mazda, made by KIA, sold by Ford) had rear seats that folded up (not just down). You could literally fold the rear seats up (sort of a double flip), & the back of the front seats would keep the rear seats compressed together. A large flat cargo area was left underneath. It made the cargo area much more useable when the rear seats were rolled up. You could even flip them the other way & create a flat rear seat. For a very cheap, small car, it had awesome cargo space (because of the rear seat design).

I actually found a very short clip of what of I am describing. Wish the lighting was better so you could see inside the car better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFvoStEvIxM

The rear seats on a Mirage hatchback (that just flip down) are quite lame by comparison.
    That's pretty cool. I'm sure with all the safety regs now days that's a no go.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    That's pretty cool. I'm sure with all the safety regs now days that's a no go.
    Other than headrests not being on rear seats, I don't see any difference. Seats locked in place no different than today. It was pre-mandatory air bags up front back then, however.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The cars without that little shelf are supposed to be safer. The reason they don't have the shelf is due to stricter safety standards, they have a thick metal bar right behind that area instead.
    I understand the logic of that but I have no experience of this. Anyway, when I buy a car I try not to drive it into things
    Personally I prefer that ledge/shelf as it's useful for placing things like mobile phones etc, okay, it won't take a weeks worth of groceries but handy non the less.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I haven't noticed this myself. I don't suppose one's latitude affects this?

Ha. After three years of ownership I sometimes do this too.

I know! To make things worse, some markets got this little shelf above the glove box.

Yep - not too shabby at all.
    Looks like I've got some distance to go then. However, I was out with my grandchildren last week when I did get my keys out of my pocket, put them in the cupholder and forgot them. Upon alighting from Mitzi it would not lock via the door button, checked all the doors and still wouldn't lock. Confused and eyeballing the kids I just couldn't quite fathom. Then I went in my pocket for my keyfob that wasn't there then I realised it was still in the car. What a useful feature.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    My biggest gripe is lack of aftermarket parts making these cars dealer reliant! When I got my brakes down at a trusted shop, it took them six hours to find the correct parts. The front pads no problem replacing but the back drums was a nightmare. They used two different aftermarket drums that said they fit, they didnt. Finally the owner had to go to a Mitsubishi dealer and buy them himself. Losing money in the process. Considering the front pads do 80% of the braking, this will be the last time I change my drums.
    First thing I done upon getting the Mirage was search for parts that may be required at a later date. Ironically it was (FL)bay that came up trumps. Oil, pads, wipers Et Al.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Polarized sunglasses will take care of that.
    Got them Cobrajet, very useful after heavy rain has fallen and then very bright sun is when Polarized glasses help.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My gripes with my 2014 Mirage ES manual base--

1. No feel to the steering at low speeds. Where are my wheels?

2. Stalls very easy.

3. Getting into reverse is near impossible. Takes 5 tries to get it into reverse. Good thing the turning radius is amazing.

Most of my gripes are with my manual transmission, and I tell people I love my 5 speed manual. I do and I don't.
    I've noticed this too, had it on one or two other cars as well. When a driving instructor I learnt the thing to do if it would not engage reverse gear or even 1st gear is to put it into any gear and move forward just a tad then it'll get over its coyness and get into gear.

As regards to the steering vagueness I have previously stated that a Roman Chariot had better steering. Now after four months I don't find it a problem.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-27-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I had that same issue. Gets kinda glarey here in Washington. I got a dash cover and its gone.

LOL

Maybe get a small case to put everything in. I have a first aid kit and I put some stuff in there.
    Pray sir. Where are these dash covers sold? I want one, no, I need one.
    As for storage case I'm looking for a pen/pencil case that I can affix to that shelf.