Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Things I Hate About The Mirage.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I've noticed this too, had it on one or two other cars as well. When a driving instructor I learnt the thing to do if it would not engage reverse gear or even 1st gear is to put it into any gear and move forward just a tad then it'll get over its coyness and get into gear.

As regards to the steering vagueness I have previously stated that a Roman Chariot had better steering. Now after four months I don't find it a problem.
    Thanks itschad, I'll try that trick.

I feel like the problem is the angle of the reverse gear. I know that 1-5 is no different, but for some reason it feels harder slotting into Reverse with my shifter. Other days it's very easy, so I don't get it.

Another beef I have: the interior needs more soft spots, like to rest my arms. Driving the Mirage my right arm rests on nothing, and my left arm and elbow rest on hard plastic. I'm kind of skinny and tall, so it's just bone on plastic and it's not pleasant. The Mirage is a city car yes, not a Buick, but really.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Thanks itschad, I'll try that trick.
    try this. when youre stopped and cant get it into reverse. try rocking the car with your body a little. ive had that problem on all the manual cars ive driven. it was described to me as the reverse gear being stationary when the other gears are planetary. so it doesnt line up perfectly with reverse after the transmission stops moving and it wont slide in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to benwerks For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It's because all forward gears have synchronizers and reverse does not. Most manual transmissions are configured this way.

Selecting second gear usually moves the gear sets enough to allow the reverse gear to mesh.

It is these brass cone clutches that require GL4 lubricant instead of GL5, but that's off topic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As others have stated, ALL manual equipped cars I've driven sometimes need a hair of forward movement to slip into reverse. It should be second nature, I know it is for me as a very seasoned standard driver.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Pray sir. Where are these dash covers sold? I want one, no, I need one.
    As for storage case I'm looking for a pen/pencil case that I can affix to that shelf.
    Rockauto has them. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ard+cover,1284
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

itschad (08-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    The Dash Design dash covers are custom made to fit I believe. Since the European models may have a different front dash (extra shelf), what's custom made for an American Mirage may not fit perfectly? Just throwing that out there.

I have a front pair of their seat covers (ordered through rockauto.com) & I am very pleased with them!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

itschad (08-28-2019)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We can figure that out if someone posts a photo of their European Mirage's dash.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

itschad (08-28-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Below the European dash. It is practically the same, except for the "cubby" above the glove box and the simplicity of the instrument as in this basic 1.0L model. And yes, it did come with a radio and A/C.
    Note: A very effective way to get rid of reflections is a simple black cloth, as seen in the picture.

Name:  dash.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  87.5 KB

The instrument of the 1.0L stripped-naked basic model, sold for €8000 (around US $ 7000) in 2014.

Name:  instrument.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  98.8 KB
    Last edited by foama; 08-28-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Below the European dash. It is practically the same, except for the "cubby" above the glove box and the simplicity of the instrument as in this basic 1.0L model. And yes, it did come with a radio and A/C.
    Note: A very effective way to get rid of reflections is a simple black cloth, as seen in the picture.

Name:  dash.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  87.5 KB

The instrument of the 1.0L stripped-naked basic model, sold for €8000 (around US $ 7000) in 2014.

Name:  instrument.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  98.8 KB
    Top of the dash is the same. Dash Design cover should work.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Below the European dash. It is practically the same, except for the "cubby" above the glove box and the simplicity of the instrument as in this basic 1.0L model.

I can't believe there's no tach.

I like the dash cubby, but I fear my cellphone would fly out of there during a hard stop.

Comes with A/C eh? My own basic manual 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 here in Canada does not have air. I guess who needs air in Canada?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)