Thread: 13 days & 1300 miles w/my new 2018 G4

Country
    United States
    Thanks

13 days & 1300 miles w/my new 2018 G4

Hey all! I just bought my new 2018 G4 ES on 8/14/19. Here's my story:

I've been a car guy my entire life, and in 2013 I was fortunate often to get my dream car, a 2013 FIAT 500 Abarth. Well until July of 2013 my dream car to own had been either a first gen Miata, or the latest Gen (in 13). But then I drove an Abarth, and it quickly became Miata who? I bought my Abarth new in 2013, and had many adventures and road trips in that car (the longest was a 2 week/6500 mile trip).

In March of this rear, I got rear ended at a stop light by a Jeep Wrangler. I was able to drive my car home, but not use it for work (delivery for Amazon via the Flex program).

For 3 weeks or so, I had a 2019 GMC Terrain (loved it). After that, I didn't know what I wanted to get at all, but I needed something (the rental coverage ran out). I got a great settlement for my FIAT, and wound up buying a 1997 Corolla for $1200. It had an oil leak that I knew of, but otherwise was a solid car with working AC, power windows and locks. MPG was OK, but I didn't necesserily feel the safest in the Portland area traffic. I really did love having no car payment though. I'd randomly picked a figure of $11k to spend towards a car, either new, used, CPO or put that into my Corolla. Whatever I decided, I wanted it to be a long term car for me.

On August 13th, I went to the store for cat food. I'd emailed on a CPO 2019 Kia Rio LX sedan w/4k-ish miles for I think $12k. That car dealer was just around the corner from the store I was at and it was a nice night so I walked over, passing the Subaru, VW, Nissan, and Mitsubishi dealers on the way (Mitsubishi was the closest starting out).

The heavily discounted remaining new 2018's caught my eye. I've been a hatchback guy most of my life, but I was really digging the G4 over the hatch. I looked at a couple of manual ES, and a CVT ES with the $800 pkg, foglight, cruise, and wheel locks. I kept walking up to KIA, but couldn't find the Rio, and didn't want to deal with the salesman I'd been emailing with as he was a bit pushy for me. On walking back to my car, I decided I wanted to drive a G4. I knew full well of their reputation amongst the automotive journalists but for that price, I needed to find out for myself.

Up until this point, I'd avoided Mitsubishi dealers (and cars) from any and all car shopping. I first drove the CVT, which I really like. It was low on gas, so we did a short drive. I then drove the manual, which was surprisingly fun. However, they had no 2018 manuals with cruise (and I didn't want to deal with aftermarket), plus I really didn't want to deal with a manual in Portland traffic (just moved here in July from Seattle, so I put up with enough traffic time in a manual with my Abarth). The next day I came back to drive the CVT again. I decided I wanted it, and we proceeded on the one I drove, with the options. The MSRP was just shy of $18k, and it was marked down to $12k. I decided I would trade my Corolla in, which they initially offered me $300 for. At the end of things, the car was marked down to just over $10k, and gave me $900 for my Corolla. Total financed was just over $11k, right where I wanted to be!

Quick shout out to Phillip M. at Alan Webb Mitsubishi in Vancouver, WA. Super friendly, not pushy but still actively works to get the car sold. Highly recommend working with him.

It's now been 13 days and almost 1300 miles since I took delivery of my G4. I've been using mainly for delivery and some errands. But in doing delivery, I'm all over the Portland area. Sometimes I'm out in the country on twisty roads, sometimes I'm in more of the downtown area. I've also taken one small road trip to the Oregon coast (26 to 101 to 6 to 26 for those in the area). When I test drove the car, I thought it was fine, fun enough, but the price, warranty, equipment and MPG got me (plus the looks for my car, I like the Mystic Black with the dark chrome wheels.)

The night of the 13th, I watched and read as many professional and owner reviews as possible. I found a stark contrast between the disdainful words of the 'professionals' vs the glowing words from owners. At this point, I am absolutely thrilled with this car. The more I drive and utilize this car, the more I can't believe what an amazing little car it is. In a couple weeks I'm actually going to do in depth video and written reviews to sort of counter all of the criticisms.

I absolutely love the brakes, handling, CVT and engine. They all work together to produce a car that is crazily fun to drive. It uses every bit of power wisely. I love getting this thing up to 6k rpms and scooting about. It just FEELS so much quicker/faster than it is. It tackles the inclines I drive with ease also. Speaking of ease, I also find this car extremely easy to drive and live with (which is great since I'm in it about 6-8 hours a day, 5-7 days a week).

I look forward to geeking out further with other Mirage and G4 owners!!!

Last edited by MetroMPG; 09-11-2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: (fixed the wall o' text!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Go4th For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-11-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
    I looked at a couple of manual ES, and a CVT ES with the $800 pkg, foglight, cruise, and wheel locks. I kept walking up to KIA, but couldn't find the Rio, and didn't want to deal with the salesman I'd been emailing with as he was a bit pushy for me. On walking back to my car, I decided I wanted to drive a G4. I knew full well of their reputation amongst the automotive journalists but for that price, I needed to find out for myself. Up until this point, I'd avoided Mitsubishi dealers (and cars) from any and all car shopping. I first drove the CVT, which I really like. It was low on gas, so we did a short drive. I then drove the manual, which was surprisingly fun. However, they had no 2018 manuals with cruise (and I didn't want to deal with aftermarket), plus I really didn't want to deal with a manual in Portland traffic (just moved here in July from Seattle, so I put up with enough traffic time in a manual with my Abarth).
    Good story about your Mirage G4. For my 2014 Mirage I went manual and no cruise, air etc. True bare bones Mirage. Manual is fun but tiring, I'm sure you feel the same from years driving your Abarth.

Sort of ironic, I was watching car videos on you tube the other day, and I watched a review of the 2014 Abarth, but the video was from the U.K. The reviewer liked the Abarth overall, but said the car has a stiff ride. I am not sure about Fiat and Chrysler but I like lots of their cars over the years for sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Belated welcome, Go4th!

Hope you don't mind I broke up your wall-o-text introduction.

Interesting story. Score one for the underdog, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
    MSRP was just shy of $18k, and it was marked down to $12k. I decided I would trade my Corolla in, which they initially offered me $300 for. At the end of things, the car was marked down to just over $10k
    That is amazing.

I love getting this thing up to 6k rpms and scooting about. It just FEELS so much quicker/faster than it is.
    Slow car fast!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)