Thread: Probably a Fummins question :) about oil useage

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Probably a Fummins question :) about oil useage

I've got 79k on my 2015. It uses a tiny bit of oil, maybe 1/3 qt between changes. How are the high mileage ones you maintain doing? Or, anyone over 100k miles have much oil consumption? Thanks.

Our highest mileage 15' +400k km car was using about 1/2 liter between oil changes when I was changing it at 12k kms/7500miles. Now I change it at 6000km like the rest of the cars and don't notice any loss.

The other car is a 17' with 100k kms/60k miles and it's been using 1/2 liter every 3000km/1864miles. I was made aware of that earlier this year.
    We run 0w20. I think stevedmc runs 5w30, and I don't recall hearing about his using oil?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

tomrad (08-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey tomrad, have you measured your compression?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey tomrad, have you measured your compression?
    No. I just go by how the car seems to run. And it feels smooth, no change in MPG or how the motor responds in five years. I agree it's a good diagnostic test to check compression, but I really don't bother since if it's low on one cylinder, I'll replace the car. I like it but I don't do motor rebuilds any more. Had enough of that in my younger years.
    I run it about 90 miles a day, five days a week. I expect it to not need anything much for at least 100k miles, and it's held up well but I kep the rpm's low, rarely much over 3k.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Our highest mileage 15' +400k km car was using about 1/2 liter between oil changes when I was changing it at 12k kms/7500miles. Now I change it at 6000km like the rest of the cars and don't notice any loss.

The other car is a 17' with 100k kms/60k miles and it's been using 1/2 liter every 3000km/1864miles. I was made aware of that earlier this year.
    We run 0w20. I think stevedmc runs 5w30, and I don't recall hearing about his using oil?
    Wow, the '17 is using a lot of oil. I hope it's not common in these motors, but guess more are like your '15. Mine used almost none until around 50-60k, then I noticed a little bit of consumption. Probably less than 1/3 quart, maybe 200ml after 7500 or so miles. Oil stays fairly clean also.
    Oh, and the reason I ask is that I work a lot and usually check oil monthly but sometimes forget. Figured if a high mileage fleet motor doesn't use much, a lower mileage pampered motor should be safe if the owner doesn't check the oil for a couple thousand miles.
    Just for peace of mind. Thanks again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I think stevedmc runs 5w30, and I don't recall hearing about his using oil?
    I have the impression Steve's 260,000+ miles Mirage isn't burning any oil between oil changes. In post #94 of "Cheap Plastic Car", Steve shows his dipstick just before his next oil change. His oil looked good (appearance & at the full mark), & that was near 230,000 miles. That's a GM dealership servicing his car with 5W-30 conventional oil & AC Delco oil filters changed every 5,000 miles.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

tomrad (08-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have the impression Steve's 260,000+ miles Mirage isn't burning any oil between oil changes. In post #94 of "Cheap Plastic Car", Steve shows his dipstick just before his next oil change. His oil looked good (appearance & at the full mark), & that was near 230,000 miles. That's a GM dealership servicing his car with 5W-30 conventional oil & AC Delco oil filters changed every 5,000 miles.
    Yes, and he gets free oil changes. Got to remember to negotiate a deal like that next time I buy a car
    I agree, 5w30 is probably fine. I use 0w20, but it gets colder here in Maryland.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Yes, and he gets free oil changes. Got to remember to negotiate a deal like that next time I buy a car
    I agree, 5w30 is probably fine. I use 0w20, but it gets colder here in Maryland.
    I feel the same. Steve lives in the south. 50+ free oil changes is pretty awesome, especially from a dealership that dropped the Mitsubishi brand.