Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Light On

Battery Light On

This morning I had a car in for service-2015 with 200k km/124k miles. The battery was pretty ugly so I sprayed it with battery cleaner and hosed it off. The driver just came up saying the battery light is flickering. Started doing it a little this morning and it's not more constant. Looks like it's been charging between 14.4-15.5 volts. Seems a little high, most of the other cars in the fleet look to be between 13.6-14.3 while running.
    I replaced the positive battery clamp as it was pretty fugly, no change. Then figured I'd try playing mitsubishi service department derp and just threw a different alternator on it with no change again. Might have to clean up all the connections at the positive terminal a bit better and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: I believe this is the same car that's been going through headlight and tail light bulbs like crazy compared to all the other's.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Well, it looks like there's a bad connection in the drivers kick panel...Looks like I may have been in here once already judging by all the duct tape. I think this is one of the cars that had the dash light up like a christmas tree last winter.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

And now I don't know what the hell. Maybe it's not in the kick panel, I replaced one end of the bottom plug before. Wiggling everything doesn't seem to make a difference. The light was blinking once in a while. I unplugged all the connectors, one at a time while it was running and the light didn't come one so I'm thinking that wire from the alternator or ecm to the bulb doesn't run through that junction. I started wiggling wires under the hood while videoing the cluster with my phone and I'm now thinking there's a broken wire near the alternator cause now the light won't go out and it's charging. But I guess 15 volts is what it's been charging at all year.

Time to find the schematics for the battery light......
    Mirage videos:

I'm partially posting this for future reference for myself.

Okay, got it narrowed down to the wiring harness from the alternator. Just to the passenger side of the mass air flow sensor. When I wiggle the harness there, the light goes on and off and you can hear the engine stumble. I was gonna replace the entire harness but f that, what a nightmare. I'll peel back the tape and post what I find.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    And now I don't know what the hell. Maybe it's not in the kick panel, I replaced one end of the bottom plug before. Wiggling everything doesn't seem to make a difference. The light was blinking once in a while. I unplugged all the connectors, one at a time while it was running and the light didn't come one so I'm thinking that wire from the alternator or ecm to the bulb doesn't run through that junction. I started wiggling wires under the hood while videoing the cluster with my phone and I'm now thinking there's a broken wire near the alternator cause now the light won't go out and it's charging. But I guess 15 volts is what it's been charging at all year.

Time to find the schematics for the battery light......

Electrical gremlins...my sympathies. Those can drive you crazy. O.k., crazier....are all the grounds good?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    For reference:

Looks like the voltage regulator is internal to the alternator with control input from the ECU.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, I don't recall the last time I saw an external regulator on a vehicle. 80's and older fords and dodges?

Well I got if fingered out. Pulled a bunch oh tape off the harness and couldn't see anything wrong. Started tugging at the 4 wires coming from the regulator and one pulled apart, it was only held together by the insulation. Stripped both ends and twisted them together and the lights now off. I'll solder and heat shrink it
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-24-2022 at 06:30 PM.
    Mirage videos:

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-29-2019),MetroMPG (08-30-2019)

Guess the title of this thread should be changed from overcharging to battery light on?

Thanks EH!
    Last edited by Fummins; 08-28-2019 at 10:22 PM.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Your like a car medical diagnostic doctor. Like that show House. "Fummins, Automotive MD" Id watch it. Or it could be like an 80s buddy cop action show.

Scene one: Captain's office

Cpt. Eggman: "Fummins, I know that 15' Mirage was your partner, but Im taking you off the case."

Det. Fummims: "No way Cap'n, Mirage only had 3 days till retirement. That sonuva*****, Chevy Spark is mine."

Captain Eggman: "Dammit Fummins, your a good cop but your a loose cannon and I got Mayor Doax up my azz on this one! Im sorry Fummins, but your placed on leave. I need your 10 mm socket wrench and your badge on my desk."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Well I got if fingered out. Pulled a bunch oh tape off the harness and couldn't see anything wrong. Started tugging at the 4 wires coming from the regulator and one pulled apart, it was only held together by the insulation. Stripped both ends and twisted them together and the lights now off. I'll solder and heat shrink it like a grown up in the am. I'll post a pic of where it's broken later tonight after 30 beers.
    Pictures! Yes please.

Sideways if that's possible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)