Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Mirage just Jowett.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Me, I love cars, not just any cars but cars with character by the shed load. My father had a Rover 90, Austin A40 Farina amongst others. When I was a kid down the Old Kent Road in South London I longed for a Vauxhall Wyvern and Vauxhall Velox that neighbours had. By the time I was old enough to drive these were so outdated so an Austin 1300 it was.
    Now, a neighbour had a Jowett Javelin back then which I had a boner for along with an Armstrong Siddeley.
    Today I took my grandchildren to the Bradford Industrial Museum where they have numerous cars and vans produced by Jowett. That was a company that went tits up in 1954 but my God their cars were beautiful. They were made in a place called Idle (famous for having the Idle Mens Working Club, a contradiction in terms) where I lived just after my happy divorce. Here are a few. Yes, across the pond you had Mustang's Camaro and Charger's but we had our little bit of England to enjoy.Attachment 15365Attachment 15366Attachment 15368
    can i ask where was this pic.s taken

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam - UK View Post
    can i ask where was this pic.s taken
    Bradford Industrial Museum.
    https://www.bradfordmuseums.org

3. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (09-01-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Bradford Industrial Museum.
    https://www.bradfordmuseums.org
    if you like old cars this places is a good day out

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/

https://www.transport-museum.com/default.aspx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam - UK For This Useful Post:

itschad (09-02-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam - UK View Post
    Thanks for that Adam, I really do like the look of the British Motor Museum, next time I'min the midlands I shall make a visit. Before we moved up North (pre 1993) I took the wife and kids Beaulieu Motor Museum in The New Forest. That was stunning.

https://www.beaulieu.co.uk › attractions › national-motor-museum

Well worth a trip but expensive.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Here is my favourite. The have probably the largest exhibition of NSU cars and bikes in the world, much larger than both the Audi-Museum plus the Audi-Forum in Neckarsulm together,
    also the largest Mazda and NSU rotary (Wankel) exhibition, and so on, and very much more:

http://museum-autovision.com/overview.html
    Last edited by foama; 09-02-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Here is my favourite. The have probably the largest exhibition of NSU cars and bikes in the world, much larger than both the Audi-Museum plus the Audi-Forum in Neckarsulm together,
    also the largest Mazda and NSU rotary (Wankel) exhibition, and so on, and very much more:

http://museum-autovision.com/overview.html
    Strewth, I remember NSU's, I liked them but the wankel engine was a problem. They later became part of Audi.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    When VW had only air-cooled engines and their products became low and lower in demand, NSU was developing a new little car with a totally new engine. Prior to that NSU already had some very fine small cars, such as the NSU Prinz, the Prinz TT and others. The result was a car completely different from anything VW ever had. Very shortly before development was finished, the historic brand Audi took over NSU. They were particularly interested in that new model to save themselves from folding. VW, which didn't have anything like it and was lacking a modern product, took over Audi. They inherited a production facility and a great modern product. That new car became an enormous sucess. It was initially marketed as the Audi 50, then as the VW Polo. After that came the Golf/Rabbit and others, all of similar concept. That NSU development became the foundation for the continued success of the VW group.

NSU pioneered the Wankel rotary engine. They had persistant problems with piston seals, and relatively high fuel consumption. They eventually gave up the Wankel engine, and MAZDA came in. MAZDA continued development, had a few brilliant ideas, and thoroughly changed a few things. The exhaust ports were designed totally different, as were the piston seals. Their developments were a huge improvement.
    Last edited by foama; 09-03-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    When VW had only air-cooled engines and their products became low and lower in demand, NSU was developing a new little car with a totally new engine. Prior to that NSU already had some very fine small cars, such as the NSU Prinz, the Prinz TT and others. The result was a car completely different from anything VW ever had. Very shortly before development was finished, the historic brand Audi took over NSU. They were particularly interested in that new model to save themselves from folding. VW, which didn't have anything like it and was lacking a modern product, took over Audi. They inherited a production facility and a great modern product. That new car became an enormous sucess. It was initially marketed as the Audi 50, then as the VW Polo. After that came the Golf/Rabbit and others, all of similar concept. That NSU development became the foundation for the continued success of the VW group.

NSU pioneered the Wankel rotary engine. They had persistant problems with piston seals, and relatively high fuel consumption. They eventually gave up the Wankel engine, and MAZDA came in. MAZDA continued development, had a few brilliant ideas, and thoroughly changed a few things. The exhaust ports were designed totally different, as were the piston seals. Their developments were a huge improvement.
    I remember the NSU Prinz but my favourite was the NSU RO 80. My father's friend had one. He was forever putting his hand in his pocket to fix the thing, drank fuel like it was going out of fashion but a nice ride, as long as it was on a straight road. You can certainly see the Audi DNA in the RO 80.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    The NSU Ro 80 was from NSU, not Audi, they came in later. The Audi Forum in Neckarsulm has many Ro80 on display. Btw, NSU is the abbreviation for the town of Neckarsulm. Audi took over the NSU factory, and today just about every piece of that property is occupied by either buildings or roads. You can't imagine how busy the place is. I've been there numerous times on business, and the amount of traffic on the roads between buildings is amazing. Loads of side panels from the press works going that way, half-built components over there, more traffic than in Newmarket before the races.