Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LRR tire Suggestions?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So they aren't exactly what i was after (LRR) but they are really cheap up-front and everywhere i checked they had decent reviews. 😄

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexen-N-P...Tire/193150916

DOAX i really liked the synergy tires . thinking they are really the overall best option in the long haul - so much so I was really on the fence about canceling my order and spending the extra coin, but i decided to kick the can down the road and spend my upfront savings on a knock off gopro. 🎥

The extremely low initial outlay just couldn't be beat, and a lot can happen in the payoff time of a LRR.

Thanks for the replies guys!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    So they aren't exactly what i was after (LRR) but they are really cheap up-front and everywhere i checked they had decent reviews. 😄

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexen-N-P...Tire/193150916

DOAX i really liked the synergy tires . thinking they are really the overall best option in the long haul - so much so I was really on the fence about canceling my order and spending the extra coin, but i decided to kick the can down the road and spend my upfront savings on a knock off gopro. 🎥

The extremely low initial outlay just couldn't be beat, and a lot can happen in the payoff time of a LRR.

Thanks for the replies guys!
    White Bear sell that particular tire for the Mirage. Thus, it's one that comes in a factory 165/65-14 size. I wouldn't mount a 185/65-14 tire on 4.5" wide rims, but that's me. Some do. @ 23.5" outside diameter, you're near a 5% variance.

It's not the size I would buy when their are 120 different 175/65-14 tire choices on the Walmart site, but I hope they work out for you & you are happy with them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I seen a few other members said they mounted that size on the factory steelies before, but i have a few sets of rims and i was open too using any of them. Maybe i should've mentioned that.

They will be going Honda HX wheels which are a tiny bit wider.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also i chose to go with a taller tire because i think it will allow me a little bit better freeway MPG which is where i feel this car suffers, and 5% at 70mph is only 3mph. Not a big deal to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Also i chose to go with a taller tire because i think it will allow me a little bit better freeway MPG which is where i feel this car suffers, and 5% at 70mph is only 3mph.
    I'm seriously considering going to a 185-60-15 tire next time (I currently run a 185-55-15). It's a slightly taller tire, but the contact patch is the same and they are listed as the same weight. So if it reduces freeway RPMs, I figure that's not a bad thing.

A 185-60-15 is a lot more common...and less expensive...than a 185-55-15. The Tire Rack has 46 different tires in this size.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'm seriously considering going to a 185-60-15 tire next time (I currently run a 185-55-15). It's a slightly taller tire, but the contact patch is the same and they are listed as the same weight. So if it reduces freeway RPMs, I figure that's not a bad thing.

A 185-60-15 is a lot more common...and less expensive...than a 185-55-15. The Tire Rack has 46 different tires in this size.
    A 165/65-14 tire put next to a 185/60-15 tire would look quite different side by side. It may not seem like much of a difference to some. If a 3% variance in tire diameter is considered acceptable (some will say under 2.5% is acceptable), this is pushing that to almost twice that (approximately 5.8%).

Apparently, this doesn't mean much to some? This also might explain why some country like Germany are so strict on matters like this. People like to push boundaries.

If others are interested in doing this & you still value your powertrain warranty, I would suggest hanging on to your factory tires. Especially those of you driving Mirages with CVT transmissions. Should you trash your CVT sooner rather than later, the larger, wider, heavier tires will be blamed whether they are the problem or not. I highly doubt a warranty would be honored with tires that large.

The last thing I want to do is put larger tires on a small economy car that's not overpowered to begin with, but that's me. I don't expect others to agree with me. I've driven manuals my entire life, & I've never had a car roll so freely when the clutch is pushed in like the Mirage. I am not sure what CVT owners experience, but this is quite noticeable to me as a driver of a manual. Snow tires, LRR Dunlops, & cheap Federal tires, it really doesn't matter. The car just wants to roll!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've varied tire size by a good 20%. Who cares. 3% won't affect anything, not even talking 100rpm difference on the highway in a 5 speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A 165/65-14 tire put next to a 185/60-15 tire would look quite different side by side.
    It's going to be slightly wider and taller. I think once it's on the car, it will not look out of place. It's literally the same tire I've been running for the last 75,000 miles...just 1/2" taller. For anyone wondering, 185-60-15 is the size tire used on the current Ford Fiesta base model.

Name:  compare.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  52.1 KB

If others are interested in doing this & you still value your powertrain warranty, I would suggest hanging on to your factory tires.
    I agree 100% with this. I personally wouldn't take my Mirage in for a powertrain warranty issue with anything but 165-65-14 tires.

I understand people's concerns about deviating from normal tire sizes. If you don't know what you're doing...then don't do it!

I currently run LRR Bridgestone Ecopia tires with lightweight wheels. A 185-60-15 Ecopia has the same contact patch as a 165-65-14 Enasave. My aftermarket tire/wheel combination (with 185-60-15 tires) will actually weigh less than the OEM Mirage 15" alloy wheel with 175-55-15 tire. Ultimately the only real difference is a .7" increase in the tire diameter...or about 50 fewer tire revolutions per mile.

It will be another interesting experiment when I need new tires. The conventional wisdom when I joined the forum was that 15" LRR tires could never equal the efficiency of Enasaves. I think I've successfully busted that myth. I'm ready for another challenge.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I've varied tire size by a good 20%. Who cares. 3% won't affect anything, not even talking 100rpm difference on the highway in a 5 speed.
    If I put my Subaru Forester tires on my Mirage, they wouldn't have a outside diameter variance as high as 20%. My Forester tires are 26" in diameter and the variance with factory OEM Mirage tires would be 16.1%.

By the way - Anything within 3% isn't considered much of variance, & I am pretty sure that I have been saying that all along. Any tire with a 22"-23" outside diameter would be within a 3% variance of factory tires.

I am just trying to be helpful to those who want to stay close to factory OEM tire sizes, but explore other options. Telling someone 20% is ok isn't very helpful in my mind. 20% of what? Please share a tire size that's 20% larger than a Mirage factory tire that would be ok to use on a Mirage?

Unlike countries like Germany, we have more freedom to do as we please with tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    It's going to be slightly wider and taller. I think once it's on the car, it will not look out of place. It's literally the same tire I've been running for the last 75,000 miles...just 1/2" taller. For anyone wondering, 185-60-15 is the size tire used on the current Ford Fiesta base model.

Name:  compare.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  52.1 KB

I agree 100% with this. I personally wouldn't take my Mirage in for a powertrain warranty issue with anything but 165-65-14 tires.

I understand people's concerns about deviating from normal tire sizes. If you don't know what you're doing...then don't do it!

I currently run LRR Bridgestone Ecopia tires with lightweight wheels. A 185-60-15 Ecopia has the same contact patch as a 165-65-14 Enasave. My aftermarket tire/wheel combination (with 185-60-15 tires) will actually weigh less than the OEM Mirage 15" alloy wheel with 175-55-15 tire. Ultimately the only real difference is a .7" increase in the tire diameter...or about 50 fewer tire revolutions per mile.

It will be another interesting experiment when I need new tires. The conventional wisdom when I joined the forum was that 15" LRR tires could never equal the efficiency of Enasaves. I think I've successfully busted that myth. I'm ready for another challenge.
    I want to state for the record, I have never questioned TOP FUEL's aftermarket tires. I've read most of his posts, & he put a lot of thought & research into what he has done. Personally, I think all Mirages that are shipped to North American should come with 175/65-14 & 185/55-15 tires, because they are an exact match @ 23" diameter (& those tire sizes) are more common here.

I just think a person should become a little cautious when pushing the limit on larger tires. We've had members try 195 wide tires & then switch back to 175 because of rubbing issues in the rear.

When members ask very general questions about tires, I feel anything within a 3% variance is good starting point for them. Replacing a 165/65-14 tire with a 175/65-14 tire is a prime example. That example is at that 3% variance mark.

Years ago, you could get away with more. You could run different size tires up front verses the rear, and it really didn't matter. Slap a pair of snow tires up front on a FWD car, & who cares? Today's cars are different. You surely can't do that on today's AWD cars. I used all sorts of 12" tires on my 1990 Ford Festiva years ago, but that car didn't have ABS, traction/stability control either. I wouldn't treat my more modern Mirage the same.

I am just giving my perspective on things. I think different tire sizes are fine. That doesn't mean you can just slap any 14" or 15" size tire on your car, however. Tire diameter isn't the only factor to consider while buying tires, but it is quite important.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-31-2019)