Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Vee Rubber City Star tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    if you filter by what is available you get only two options a Dunlop winter Maxx and a Bridgestone potenza
    The site below has a number of options, & 10 of them are available. I contacted them when I was looking for snow tires. They wouldn't ship to the U.S. Canadians have many more snow tire options. Dunlop Winter Maxx 2 & Nokian Nordman 7 are pretty much the only 165/65r14 tires I have seen available in the States.

https://www.quattrotires.com/dimensi...5/65/14/page/1

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    the federal himalaya's look like a very aggressive snow tread

https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/HIMALAYA-KATTURA

3. The Following User Says Thank You to benwerks For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    This past spring I went to Tires-Easy and bought some super-duper-closeout Nokian Hakkepellita 7s with studs...in 155/70-14! I think they were about $45 each with free shipping...crazy deal for Hakkepellitas.

I had no idea that size existed! These tires are date-coded to late 2012, but they look to have been stored properly and will be used at lower in-town speeds. They also look like they will be awesome in the snow.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    if you filter by what is available you get only two options a Dunlop winter Maxx and a Bridgestone potenza
    Thanks benwerks, and Mark. Useful website stores. I like online stores like this for comparison sake, and I can see what tires are available. benwerks I am driving the Bridgestone Potenza all seasons right now. Good grip and o.k. for winter, but not a winter tire.

Cinturato by Pirelli's 14" 165 winter rubber, and the Vredestein 165 14" winters I am interested most in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This past spring I went to Tires-Easy and bought some super-duper-closeout Nokian Hakkepellita 7s with studs...in 155/70-14! I think they were about $45 each with free shipping...crazy deal for Hakkepellitas.

I had no idea that size existed! These tires are date-coded to late 2012, but they look to have been stored properly and will be used at lower in-town speeds. They also look like they will be awesome in the snow.
    Hey Cobrajet what timing. Nokian is another I have literally seen for sale at a bricks and mortar store in Canada. If they're as good as they look then, might be the tires I end up with.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Hey Cobrajet what timing. Nokian is another I have literally seen for sale at a bricks and mortar store in Canada. If they're as good as they look then, might be the tires I end up with.
    Fun fact: Nokian invented winter tires back in 1934.

I don't think you will find snow tires that are much better.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fun fact: Nokian invented winter tires back in 1934.

I don't think you will find snow tires that are much better.
    their wiki is pretty interesting too. the only place with a permanent winter test track. the company started in like 1888 and owns a chain of tire shops whose name translate to "the northern way"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts

I remember Cobrajet sharing this purchase before, & it is an amazing deal! It's an odd size, but yet a perfect size for the Mirage. Mirage factory tires are 22.4" & 22.6" in diameter (165/65r14 & 175/55r15), and his 155/70r14 snow tires are 22.5". Despite a different tire size, they are a perfect match for the Mirage. That particular tire is their top tier snow tire, too! They are almost 8 years old, however.

Quoting discount tire - "Discount Tire recommends that you replace your tires after 6 years of age, regardless of tread depth. For your safety, Discount Tire will not service a tire that exceeds 10 years of age."

I wouldn't hesitate to use the tires Cobrajet bought, but they are considered old already.

If a person decides to use 165/65r14 snow tires, the Nokian Nordman 7 (studded & non-studded) & Dunlop Winter Maxx 2 are usually available somewhere to purchase. I prefer a narrow snow tire, & I would pick one of those two before going to a 175 wide tire. I'm a firm believer in skinny snow tires for small cars, especially when climbing hills in the winter.

I haven't seen many other consistent 165/65r14 snow tire options in the U.S., unless you are willing to jump up to 175/65r14 tire. Some have surely done that!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I prefer a narrow snow tire
    i do too. i think i remember reading about rally drivers using skinny tires for loose or slippery surfaces because the skinnier tires cuts through the loose better.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    secondary question: do you think a studded tires or snow chains on the rear of a light fwd vehicle going to make that much of a difference? id imagine this would make the most difference in turning