Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gawd Help Us. That Bloody Noise.

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Gawd Help Us. That Bloody Noise.

My car is a 2016 (December, so it's nigh on a 2017) Juro, I believe, well, I know actually, a Euro spec. Just recently Chad (me) has noticed a God awful racket upon starting. Seems like the valves are chewing themselves up, it only lasts for up to a second but it's got my arsehole flaps going into one. It kind of sounds like oil starvation. Old Chad is getting worried as its only done 10k and has sufficient oil in it. I hope someone can advise, maybe Fummins as he's a right geezer when it comes to maintenance.
    Thank you in advance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Can you post a video of this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Had the same experience. The problem could most likely be a "no-oil-startup-rattle".

With a decent oil filter, such as the OP575 by FILTRON, which is cheap (about 2 Quid) and readily available in the UK, the problem should be gone. You can change it yourself easily.

The OP575 has a very special non-return valve, which does not deform as the usual inferior products do, and therefore seals properly throughout its entire life. I haven't ever had that rattle any more since it was swiched over to the OP575.
    Last edited by foama; 09-02-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Can you post a video of this?
    Regrettably Eggman when I get into the car and start it by the time I get out the noise has gone. one of my earlier posts I questioned the use of 5w 30 engine juice, I'd prefer 0w-20 as per the book. I have a print out from its previous service where 5w-30 was used. I want to hit someone. First in the book is 0w-20.Name:  IMG_20190902_190816.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  83.7 KB
    Last edited by itschad; 09-02-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Had the same experience. The problem could most likely be a "no-oil-startup-rattle".

With a decent oil filter, such as the OP575 by FILTRON, which is cheap (about 2 Quid) and readily available in the UK, the problem should be gone. You can change it yourself easily.

The OP575 has a very special non-return valve, which does not deform as the usual inferior products do, and therefore seals properly throughout its entire life. I haven't ever had that rattle any more since it was swiched over to the OP575.
    As per my quote I suspect oil starvation. The car has Mitsubishi history so what filter they used is anybody's guess.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Regrettably Eggman when I get into the car and start it by the time I get out the noise has gone. one of my earlier posts I questioned the use of 5w 30 engine juice, I'd prefer 0w-20 as per the book. I have a print out from its previous service where 5w-30 was used. I want to hit someone. First in the book is 0w-20.
    start recording and leave the video under the hood or by the hood and then start the car

7. The Following User Says Thank You to benwerks For This Useful Post:

itschad (09-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    As per my quote I suspect oil starvation. The car has Mitsubishi history so what filter they used is anybody's guess.
    Steve has 260,000+ miles on his Mirage without issue. He's received approximately 52 free oil changes done every 5,000 miles (approx. 8,000 km), and they have putting 5W-30 conventional oil in his car.

I doubt any harm has been done to your car, but I would question why a dealership wouldn't use the factory recommended 0W-20?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

itschad (09-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post

The OP575 has a very special non-return valve, which does not deform as the usual inferior products do, and therefore seals properly throughout its entire life. I haven't ever had that rattle any more since it was switched over to the OP575.
    I think Foama's suggestion is best. I have confidence in oil filters associated with MANN + HUMMEL, & Filtron is one of those.

Since this bugs you, I would pick up a filter like suggested. If you want to do it yourself, buy an oil filter socket that fits the new filter. You can remove this oil filter standing up. I just reach around the radiator hose with both hands to manipulate things. You may lose a little oil. Thus a small catch pan of some sort & adding a little new oil back in may be in order. I'm sure you know all these things, but I share them for others to read, too.

If you don't want to deal with buying an oil filter socket or the mess, just have a local shop switch the filter out for you. It would take them 10 minutes. If it fixes your issue, you'll be demanding a quality filter along with 0W-20 oil in the future. If it doesn't change things, you aren't out much money.

If you do this, please take a look a look at the oil filter that was installed & share what it was with the rest of us.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think Foama's suggestion is best. I have confidence in oil filters associated with MANN + HUMMEL, & Filtron is one of those.

Since this bugs you, I would pick up a filter like suggested. If you want to do it yourself, buy an oil filter socket that fits the new filter. You can remove this oil filter standing up. I just reach around the radiator hose with both hands to manipulate things. You may lose a little oil. Thus a small catch pan of some sort & adding a little new oil back in may be in order. I'm sure you know all these things, but I share them for others to read, too.

If you don't want to deal with buying an oil filter socket or the mess, just have a local shop switch the filter out for you. It would take them 10 minutes. If it fixes your issue, you'll be demanding a quality filter along with 0W-20 oil in the future. If it doesn't change things, you aren't out much money.

If you do this, please take a look a look at the oil filter that was installed & share what it was with the rest of us.
    Irrespective of what cars I've ever owned in the last 20 years it's been Mann, before that Champion but they've disappeared.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Irrespective of what cars I've ever owned in the last 20 years it's been Mann, before that Champion but they've disappeared.
    The Filtron oil filters that Foama's suggesting are MANN + HUMMEL filters.

https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/areas...-for-vehicles/

In the states, I would buy a Purolator, WIX, or Bosch oil filter (all owned by MANN + HUMMEL).

If I lived in Europe, I would be buying the Filtron I guess.

If you can live with it as is, I would surely go back to 0W-20 & a good oil filter next time you have an oil change done.