Thread: Running lights staying on when car is off

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Running lights staying on when car is off

I just parked my car and noticed that my tail lights and daytime running lights stayed on after turning the car off. The headlight indicator is turned to the off position and still the lights stay on. Please help! Cleaned the battery terminals off and still the issue persists.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke92 View Post
    I just parked my car and noticed that my tail lights and daytime running lights stayed on after turning the car off. The headlight indicator is turned to the off position and still the lights stay on. Please help! Cleaned the battery terminals off and still the issue persists.
    I've never seen that issue, but this is a nice article on the topic.

https://www.lifewire.com/car-headlig...%20the%20relay.

If your car is under warranty, I would let the dealer address the issue.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Pretty sure the lights will still turn off automatically, after 10 minutes? If that function still works, your bulbs should be saved (!?)

I haven't heard of this problem. I would be going to a mechanic to pinpoint this one. Looking forward to finding out what the issue is. sorry Luke92 best of luck!
    Last edited by dspace9; 09-04-2019 at 02:00 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Pretty sure the lights will still turn off automatically, after 10 minutes? If that function still works, your bulbs should be saved (!?)

I haven't heard of this problem. I would be going to a mechanic to pinpoint this one. Looking forward to finding out what the issue is. sorry Luke92 best of luck!
    The lights on a Mirage don't even stay on when the headlight switch is left on, & the car is turned off. I sort of like that feature.

Something is obviously wrong!

I would pull your headlight fuse or something in the meantime.

Do you have an aftermarket remote start or alarm? I've had a few of those do weird things like that.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Use an OBD scanner. The first thing I thought about when reading this is that Chevys keep their backup lights on for a minute after you park and turrn the car off.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I just parked my car and noticed that my tail lights and daytime running lights stayed on after turning the car off.
    The headlight indicator is turned to the off position and still the lights stay on.
    At some point do they ultimately turn off? Or will they stay on for hours?

The lights on a Mirage don't even stay on when the headlight switch is left on, & the car is turned off.
    Exactly. I'm wondering if there's some odd ETACS setting that isn't enabled in this car for some reason?!?

Are you using some funky super-duper LED bulbs from eBay or something?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hey guys thanks for all your help! I was able to look at the mirage again and after doing much thinking I had a suspicion that It might have been something to do with the aftermarket radio that had been previously installed,(as I had heard crackling noise from one of the speakers earlier in the day) Tada! It turns out it was actually a short in the radio harness adapter (the electrical tape came off a couple connections). So thank god it was a small issue. I’ll be re installing the factory radio tonight. I’m just gonna throw a line output converter for subwoofer instead of having an aftermarket radio. It look cleaner imo
    Last edited by Luke92; 09-05-2019 at 11:03 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luke92 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-06-2019),inuvik (09-05-2019),Top_Fuel (09-06-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Tada! It turns out it was actually a short in the radio harness adapter (the electrical tape came off a couple connections). So thank god it was a small issue. I’ll be re installing the factory radio tonight. I’m just gonna throw a line output converter for subwoofer instead of having an aftermarket radio. It look cleaner imo
    There you go. I have to say that is one reason to stay away from mods for your Mirage. I know that goes against pretty much everything the Mirage Forum is about, ah well. It's kinda true I just use my Mirage like a tool and the job is every day commute. There are better options out there, but I'm on a budget!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Tada! It turns out it was actually a short in the radio harness adapter (the electrical tape came off a couple connections).
    That's one powerful (as in interesting) fault - a bad wiring harness that causes lights to stay on. Thanks for sharing the cause and solution.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    There are better options out there
    No. The Mirage is the best option out there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-09-2019)