Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage Reliability: A story

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage Reliability: A story

HI All! I don't post much but lurk around to see what is new. I have a short story to tell.

I have a 2017 Mirage G4 SE that I just love. Oh I know they have some quirks and some cheapening that annoys me but overall this is the car for me. I work at home and thus don't get out much, so my Mirage (I named Mitsuko) has only 15,100 miles since I bought her in Nov 2016. I do 95% of my driving in the city.

Other than routine maintenance, Mitsuko has never been in the shop for anything. I get so annoyed when I see "auto experts" say this is one of worst cars you can buy.

So, tell that to my condo building neighbor with his 3 mo old 2019 Range Rover, in the shop for 2 weeks the second time.

I'll stick to my Mirage.

Don and Mitsuko

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mitsuko For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (09-05-2019),Cobrajet (09-05-2019),Daox (09-05-2019),gone.a (09-09-2019),inuvik (09-05-2019),MetroMPG (09-11-2019),ThunderG (09-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
    HI All! I don't post much but lurk around to see what is new. I have a short story to tell.

I have a 2017 Mirage G4 SE that I just love. Oh I know they have some quirks and some cheapening that annoys me but overall this is the car for me. I work at home and thus don't get out much, so my Mirage (I named Mitsuko) has only 15,100 miles since I bought her in Nov 2016. I do 95% of my driving in the city.

Other than routine maintenance, Mitsuko has never been in the shop for anything. I get so annoyed when I see "auto experts" say this is one of worst cars you can buy.

So, tell that to my condo building neighbor with his 3 mo old 2019 Range Rover, in the shop for 2 weeks the second time.

I'll stick to my Mirage.

Don and Mitsuko
    My Mirage has 126,000 miles now. Same story!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    My Mirage has 126,000 miles now. Same story!
    Steve's Cheap Plastic Mirage has twice as many miles as your Mirage, & his story isn't much different. He's replaced an A/C compressor, but everything else has been pretty much rock solid.

Yet, many car critics focus on things like whether or not a car has Apple CarPlay.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Steve's Cheap Plastic Mirage has twice as many miles as your Mirage, & his story isn't much different. He's replaced an A/C compressor, but everything else has been pretty much rock solid.

Yet, many car critics focus on things like whether or not a car has Apple CarPlay.
    Which the mirage does lol

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Even though my car is only 1 year old mine has never gone wrong

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The key is when we'll have CVT owners on here posting stories about their cars going over 175k miles with no transmission problems. I love my 5speed brothers on here for their wisdom and guidance, but I have to admit, I feel a little crestfallen when 90% of the post on here in regards to reliability come from manual owners. With the exception of Inviks & Fummins, there's just not that much written about CVT owners experiences. Now maybe thats a good thing being as no news is good news, but dammit there has to be somebody out there who drives for Uber like I do, with a CVT Mirage with over 175k miles on there ride! I guess Ill just have to wait a few more years.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Rockabilly Manta (09-10-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The key is when we'll have CVT owners on here posting stories about their cars going over 175k miles with no transmission problems. I love my 5speed brothers on here for their wisdom and guidance, but I have to admit, I feel a little crestfallen when 90% of the post on here in regards to reliability come from manual owners. With the exception of Inviks & Fummins, there's just not that much written about CVT owners experiences. Now maybe thats a good thing being as no news is good news, but dammit there has to be somebody out there who drives for Uber like I do, with a CVT Mirage with over 175k miles on there ride! I guess Ill just have to wait a few more years.
    You know what Dirk just baby the car. They say with used cars some with 20,000 km's are way more hard-driven and roughhoused than a high mileage, but well-manicured car, same car, with 200,000 km's on the odometer.

It's all how you treat the car, maintain it, drive it with a pretend egg under your gas petal most times.

I have my Mirage professionally oiled every year, so everyone says it looks brand new when it was built over 6 years ago. A few scratches and a couple bolts have rusted, but looking good inside and out

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the CVT too, and I'm also going to go with "no news is good news". I got my G4 about 3 weeks ago and have put on about 2200 miles (a lot of delivery miles here), and in 3 weeks from now I do my 3400 +/- mile road trip. I'm going to hope for the best and keep the car maintained. I have faith!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Go4th For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Yeah, you're not wrong. The manual folks have one less (big expensive) thing to worry about and can't identify with your reality of having a jatco cvt. Just keep getting updates from Quagmire's fleet and hopefully as traffic picks up on the site, we'll get more CVT owners/experiences on here. Until then, ride on.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Yeah, you're not wrong. The manual folks have one less (big expensive) thing to worry about and can't identify with your reality of having a jatco cvt. Just keep getting updates from Quagmire's fleet and hopefully as traffic picks up on the site, we'll get more CVT owners/experiences on here. Until then, ride on.
    Maintenance is the key and I believe (without verification) that idling in gear is the real killer of the CVT. The “idle neutral logic” for the CVT is pretty useless as far as I’m concerned (there is a thread devoted to this). The owners manual gives a vague warning about not allowing the CVT to remain in gear in extended stops. I don’t have any evidence to back up my premise but if the owners manual warns about extended idling in gear my thoughts are the LESS time you leave it in gear while stopped the better. Which is why I manually shift mine to neutral at every light or any stop that lasts more than 10 seconds. So I’m at almost 80K miles now with no issues so time will tell.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)