Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Mirage Reliability: A story

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mitsuko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kansas City
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 82 Times in 48 Posts

    Mirage Reliability: A story

    HI All! I don't post much but lurk around to see what is new. I have a short story to tell.

    I have a 2017 Mirage G4 SE that I just love. Oh I know they have some quirks and some cheapening that annoys me but overall this is the car for me. I work at home and thus don't get out much, so my Mirage (I named Mitsuko) has only 15,100 miles since I bought her in Nov 2016. I do 95% of my driving in the city.

    Other than routine maintenance, Mitsuko has never been in the shop for anything. I get so annoyed when I see "auto experts" say this is one of worst cars you can buy.

    So, tell that to my condo building neighbor with his 3 mo old 2019 Range Rover, in the shop for 2 weeks the second time.

    I'll stick to my Mirage.

    Don and Mitsuko



  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mitsuko For This Useful Post:

    Adam - UK (09-05-2019),ahausheer (09-09-2019),Cobrajet (09-05-2019),Daox (09-05-2019),inuvik (09-05-2019),MetroMPG (09-11-2019),ThunderG (09-05-2019)

  3. #2
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,407
    Thanks
    891
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 802 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
    HI All! I don't post much but lurk around to see what is new. I have a short story to tell.

    I have a 2017 Mirage G4 SE that I just love. Oh I know they have some quirks and some cheapening that annoys me but overall this is the car for me. I work at home and thus don't get out much, so my Mirage (I named Mitsuko) has only 15,100 miles since I bought her in Nov 2016. I do 95% of my driving in the city.

    Other than routine maintenance, Mitsuko has never been in the shop for anything. I get so annoyed when I see "auto experts" say this is one of worst cars you can buy.

    So, tell that to my condo building neighbor with his 3 mo old 2019 Range Rover, in the shop for 2 weeks the second time.

    I'll stick to my Mirage.

    Don and Mitsuko
    My Mirage has 126,000 miles now. Same story!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

    MetroMPG (09-11-2019)

  5. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,050
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 639 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    My Mirage has 126,000 miles now. Same story!
    Steve's Cheap Plastic Mirage has twice as many miles as your Mirage, & his story isn't much different. He's replaced an A/C compressor, but everything else has been pretty much rock solid.

    Yet, many car critics focus on things like whether or not a car has Apple CarPlay.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

    MetroMPG (09-11-2019)

  7. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,132
    Thanks
    453
    Thanked 333 Times in 230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Steve's Cheap Plastic Mirage has twice as many miles as your Mirage, & his story isn't much different. He's replaced an A/C compressor, but everything else has been pretty much rock solid.

    Yet, many car critics focus on things like whether or not a car has Apple CarPlay.
    Which the mirage does lol

  8. #5
    Senior Member Adam - UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Worcestershire UK
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 71 Times in 50 Posts
    Even though my car is only 1 year old mine has never gone wrong

  9. #6
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    1,757
    Thanks
    607
    Thanked 218 Times in 183 Posts
    The key is when we'll have CVT owners on here posting stories about their cars going over 175k miles with no transmission problems. I love my 5speed brothers on here for their wisdom and guidance, but I have to admit, I feel a little crestfallen when 90% of the post on here in regards to reliability come from manual owners. With the exception of Inviks & Fummins, there's just not that much written about CVT owners experiences. Now maybe thats a good thing being as no news is good news, but dammit there has to be somebody out there who drives for Uber like I do, with a CVT Mirage with over 175k miles on there ride! I guess Ill just have to wait a few more years.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

    Rockabilly Manta (09-10-2019)

  11. #7
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,136
    Thanks
    682
    Thanked 173 Times in 143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The key is when we'll have CVT owners on here posting stories about their cars going over 175k miles with no transmission problems. I love my 5speed brothers on here for their wisdom and guidance, but I have to admit, I feel a little crestfallen when 90% of the post on here in regards to reliability come from manual owners. With the exception of Inviks & Fummins, there's just not that much written about CVT owners experiences. Now maybe thats a good thing being as no news is good news, but dammit there has to be somebody out there who drives for Uber like I do, with a CVT Mirage with over 175k miles on there ride! I guess Ill just have to wait a few more years.
    You know what Dirk just baby the car. They say with used cars some with 20,000 km's are way more hard-driven and roughhoused than a high mileage, but well-manicured car, same car, with 200,000 km's on the odometer.

    It's all how you treat the car, maintain it, drive it with a pretend egg under your gas petal most times.

    I have my Mirage professionally oiled every year, so everyone says it looks brand new when it was built over 6 years ago. A few scratches and a couple bolts have rusted, but looking good inside and out

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

    Dirk Diggler (09-07-2019)

  13. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The key is when we'll have CVT owners on here posting stories about their cars going over 175k miles with no transmission problems. I love my 5speed brothers on here for their wisdom and guidance, but I have to admit, I feel a little crestfallen when 90% of the post on here in regards to reliability come from manual owners. With the exception of Inviks & Fummins, there's just not that much written about CVT owners experiences. Now maybe thats a good thing being as no news is good news, but dammit there has to be somebody out there who drives for Uber like I do, with a CVT Mirage with over 175k miles on there ride! I guess Ill just have to wait a few more years.
    I have the CVT too, and I'm also going to go with "no news is good news". I got my G4 about 3 weeks ago and have put on about 2200 miles (a lot of delivery miles here), and in 3 weeks from now I do my 3400 +/- mile road trip. I'm going to hope for the best and keep the car maintained. I have faith!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)


  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Go4th For This Useful Post:

    Dirk Diggler (09-07-2019)

  15. #9
    Senior Member AtomicPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    491
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 224 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The key is when we'll have CVT owners on here posting stories about their cars going over 175k miles with no transmission problems. I love my 5speed brothers on here for their wisdom and guidance, but I have to admit, I feel a little crestfallen when 90% of the post on here in regards to reliability come from manual owners. With the exception of Inviks & Fummins, there's just not that much written about CVT owners experiences. Now maybe thats a good thing being as no news is good news, but dammit there has to be somebody out there who drives for Uber like I do, with a CVT Mirage with over 175k miles on there ride! I guess Ill just have to wait a few more years.

    Yeah, you're not wrong. The manual folks have one less (big expensive) thing to worry about and can't identify with your reality of having a jatco cvt. Just keep getting updates from Quagmire's fleet and hopefully as traffic picks up on the site, we'll get more CVT owners/experiences on here. Until then, ride on.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

    Dirk Diggler (09-07-2019)

  17. #10
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,740
    Thanks
    2,242
    Thanked 1,011 Times in 732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Yeah, you're not wrong. The manual folks have one less (big expensive) thing to worry about and can't identify with your reality of having a jatco cvt. Just keep getting updates from Quagmire's fleet and hopefully as traffic picks up on the site, we'll get more CVT owners/experiences on here. Until then, ride on.
    Maintenance is the key and I believe (without verification) that idling in gear is the real killer of the CVT. The “idle neutral logic” for the CVT is pretty useless as far as I’m concerned (there is a thread devoted to this). The owners manual gives a vague warning about not allowing the CVT to remain in gear in extended stops. I don’t have any evidence to back up my premise but if the owners manual warns about extended idling in gear my thoughts are the LESS time you leave it in gear while stopped the better. Which is why I manually shift mine to neutral at every light or any stop that lasts more than 10 seconds. So I’m at almost 80K miles now with no issues so time will tell.


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.5 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •