Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Oxygen sensors.

Hi,
    My Engine light came on.
    Shows Downstream 24057 and upstream 234-5181 were both bad.
    Are there only two on a 2014 mirage?
    Rock Auto shows a third.
    Also, is it a fairly easy do it yourself project?

Thanks!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by K2adw View Post
    Hi,
    My Engine light came on.
    Shows Downstream 24057 and upstream 234-5181 were both bad.
    Are there only two on a 2014 mirage?
    Rock Auto shows a third.
    Also, is it a fairly easy do it yourself project?

Thanks!
    Not sure if you have all the tools. The guy in this video I just watched talks about a "Oxygen sensor socket kit" so you don't wreck anything putting the new sensor in. The video is of a 2003 4 cylinder Toyota. Be careful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kr-c8eBl5E ("How to Check and Replace an Oxygen Sensor" on youtube)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    In my experience, any time you suddenly get a double O2 sensor failure the problem is usually somewhere else. What the ECM is telling you is that there is too much oxygen coming out of the engine compared to what is going into the engine, or vice versa. If the system can't find another fault it will sometimes get confused and trip a code for both O2 sensors. If you have another fault code, correct it first.

A bad tank of gas might cause this kind of fault as well. Were it my car, I'd clear the code and drive it through at least one more tank of gas to see if the code comes back. Since you live in NY, a corroded ground connection is also something to consider before installing new sensors. Pay particular attention to the two connectors under the driver's side carpet.

As to replacement O2 sensors, I would recommend getting OEM ones. My luck with aftermarket ones has been spotty at best. It usually is not a tough job, especially on a later model car. They probably won't be rusted in too badly, but it can sometimes be hard to get at them. To my knowledge, nobody has reported any O2 sensor failures on the Mirage as of yet.

As was mentioned, I HIGHLY recommend getting the specialized socket for removing them. They can often be rented at auto parts stores for free.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 09-08-2019 at 09:37 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    In my experience, any time you suddenly get a double O2 sensor failure the problem is usually somewhere else. What the ECM is telling you is that there is too much oxygen coming out of the engine compared to what is going into the engine, or vice versa. If the system can't find another fault it will sometimes get confused and trip a code for both O2 sensors. If you have another fault code, correct it first.

A bad tank of gas might cause this kind of fault as well. Were it my car, I'd clear the code and drive it through at least one more tank of gas to see if the code comes back. Since you live in NY, a corroded ground connection is also something to consider before installing new sensors. Pay particular attention to the two connectors under the driver's side carpet.

As to replacement O2 sensors, I would recommend getting OEM ones. My luck with aftermarket ones has been spotty at best. It usually is not a tough job, especially on a later model car. They probably won't be rusted in too badly, but it can sometimes be hard to get at them. To my knowledge, nobody has reported any O2 sensor failures on the Mirage as of yet.

As was mentioned, I HIGHLY recommend getting the specialized socket for removing them. They can often be rented at auto parts stores for free.
    Wow, thanks for the great advice. I thought it was strange they both went at the same time also. But then again, both low beams went at the same time. So who knows.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K2adw View Post
    Wow, thanks for the great advice. I thought it was strange they both went at the same time also. But then again, both low beams went at the same time. So who knows.
    Definitely check the connectors under the drivers footwell carpet. There was a recall for corrosion of the connector but even the “fix” doesn’t mean you won’t have future issues. When you stated your low beams went out at the same time it definitely needs to be checked as the culprit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I don't know if 02 sensors run through that connector but here you go... https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...4294#post84294
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-11-2019)