Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tpms programable sensors and clone tool

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Every shop I've worked at or visited small or big had at least one capable scan tool.
    Some newer Mitsubishi models are unusually challenging to get into "re-learn" mode...even for a good scan tool. Tools that work on Nissan, Honda, etc. often won't work on a Mitsubishi. My own tool seems to work great on everything...except my own car!

I've been to shops who thought they had a good scan tool. But when they hooked it up to my Mirage, suddenly none of the normal TPMS functions in the tool worked. Some tool manufacturers have been slow to figure out that Mitsubishi doesn't do their OBDII-TPMS operations like everyone else.

You can tell that Mitsubishi is doing something different in their TPMS system because the tools that do work require a special OBDII "adapter" cable.

Here is the Bartec tool (and "magic" Mitsubishi OBDII adapter) that my local Discount Tire used to do a re-learn in my 2015 Mirage...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Some newer Mitsubishi models are unusually challenging to get into "re-learn" mode...even for a good scan tool. Tools that work on Nissan, Honda, etc. often won't work on a Mitsubishi. My own tool seems to work great on everything...except my own car!

I've been to shops who thought they had a good scan tool. But when they hooked it up to my Mirage, suddenly none of the normal TPMS functions in the tool worked. Some tool manufacturers have been slow to figure out that Mitsubishi doesn't do their OBDII-TPMS operations like everyone else.

You can tell that Mitsubishi is doing something different in their TPMS system because the tools that do work require a special OBDII "adapter" cable.

Here is the Bartec tool (and "magic" Mitsubishi OBDII adapter) that my local Discount Tire used to do a re-learn in my 2015 Mirage...

Got a Tech 400SD. Got the Magic Mitsu Cable. Got what is supposedly the correct software version. STILL DOESN'T WORK.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-10-2019)

I could very well be full of shat. I can get into the tpms menu and get into the program sensor screen for a Mirage but non of our cars came with tpms so I can't get any further than that. I keep getting "the ecm doesn't support that function". I can't seem to add it as an option in etacs either. I just assumed I'm able to read and relearn the car but I now remember what assuming makes.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I could very well be full of shat. I can get into the tpms menu and get into the program sensor screen for a Mirage but non of our cars came with tpms so I can't get any further than that. I keep getting "the ecm doesn't support that function". I can't seem to add it as an option in etacs either. I just assumed I'm able to read and relearn the car but I now remember what assuming makes.
    This is why buying a $125 Autel TS408 tool to clone their $30 MX-sensors seems appealing. Clone the new sensor to your existing codes already in the car, & that is it. You are done. If you run two sets of tires, this makes even more sense to me.

Plus, I can clone sensors for my Forester snow tires & any future vehicle I own. Sadly, TPMS is not going away in the U.S.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I can get into the tpms menu and get into the program sensor screen for a Mirage
    I keep getting "the ecm doesn't support that function".
    That's similar to what my tool says. I can connect it to the OBDII port and select "Read Sensor ID's from Computer" and I get a message from the tool saying This function is not supported.

If I try to put my car into "assisted re-learn mode", multiple dash warning lights turn on and I get a beeping alarm from the instrument panel that doesn't stop until I disconnect the tool. Scared the crap out of me the first time that happened!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

When I do live data and in certain menu's on these cars and I think some Nissans too, the abs and traction control lights come on when it's running. Weird, I don't know why it does that but it doesn't throw any codes.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Mirage videos:

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (09-10-2019),Top_Fuel (09-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It doesn't work because they misspelled 'tire'.

I'd be upset too. Give it a sticker and see if that helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-12-2019)