Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do you use running lights or always headlights?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This entire thread has been a bit confusing. features[/B].

If a Mirage was equipped with day running lights (DRL), you would have no control over them. When the car is started, the day running headlights will come on (except for when the parking brake is set).
    Super confusing! These cars get more quirky all the time.
    I always thought the drl in these Mirage's came on when you put them in gear(cvt), but I just went and checked and you're right.
    This is on a cvt 2017'
    - turn the key to run and drl stay off
    -start car and drl come on
    -with car running pull e-brake and drl lights stay on
    -Start car with e-brake already on and drl lights stay off
    -As soon as you release e-brake lights go back on and will not turn off with e-brake pulled.

So it seems the only way to not have drl on in a 17' cvt Mirage is to start the car with the e-brake pulled.

In a few years all new cars sold in Canada will be more idiot proof to stop oblivious people from driving around with their tail lights off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Dark dash? At least for my 2018, the dash is always illuminated (unfortunately?). With the led headlights I have, though, its really obvious if my headlights are on or not: the signs practically glow.
    The 2017 Mirage is not like that. Headlight switch in the off position = all lights off (including the instrumental panel).

The manual even states instrumental panel lights come on when turning on parking lights or headlights. Even cars with DRL state it that way. The instrument panel lights on a Mirage with DRL don't come on until your turn on your parking lights or headlights.

Did that change in 2018? I don't know?

I'll check out a 19' tomorrow morning if I remember.

Maybe the dashes light only for them fancy race car GT models? Do they have the same cluster as the pheasant models? Other than chrome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I use the second setting where the lights are on all around, but not my headlights full blast at all.

Like there are 3 light settings on my mirage. 1 is off, 2 is all lights on all around the car (back lights are key here), and 3 is all lights all around on --and the headlights on (they can go high and low beam obviously). The middle one if I wanna be seen. Like daytime foggy weather.
    I didn't realize DRL were mandatory in Canada. I appreciate Dave & other clarifying that. It may be as simple as activating it on ETACs for those of us in the States? Maybe someone has tried that?

Once your start your Mirage & release your parking brake, the DRL are on. You really don't have any control over them. They are on, until you turn off your car. Thanks Fummins for confirming that! That's slightly different than my Subaru. Whenever the parking brake is set (while the vehicle is still running), the DRL go off on my Subaru.

As Dave already mentioned, turning on your parking lights would add the front & back parking lights, side marker lights, license plate, & instrumental panel lights to your DRL. It's truly about being seen. I can see the value in that, especially during day time fog & rain.

Regardless, DRL & parking lights are two separate features. If your Mirage has DRL, you can surely use them with the parking brake lights.

In my mind, that a little different than the terms "parking brake" verses the "emergency brake". In that case, it's the exact same feature is given two different names.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-18-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

Maybe the dashes light only for them fancy race car GT models? Do they have the same cluster as the pheasant models? Other than chrome.
    The 2017 manual doesn't mention trim levels being different, but that may have changed in later models?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Sometimes, we focus on the "quirks" of the Mirage, but I like simplicity of its instrument panel. I like the fact that my 2017 Mirage instrument panel can be read without being lit up during the day time. It's a nice, simple reminder that my headlights aren't on. Then again checking the headlight switch at the end of the turn signal is super simple, too! I appreciate little things like that about the Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I have an SE, not a GT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I have my headlights on always. There are a lot of forest patches here and I hate the fact the rear lights do not come one with the drl turned on. If the rearlights would be always on I would leave the light on auto.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I typically leave headlights on (for fear of forgetting) but in decent visibility but lower light, when I can see but don't want to blind other drivers or create glare, I switch to parking lights/drls because Mitsubishi has the basic awareness of not killing people to keep the tail lights on The same cannot be said for most US automakers...
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bzacon For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (10-08-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's mighty considerate lol I just drive around blaring the horn flipping everyone off.
    Better watch it. Where you live I can predict loads of 12ga. birdshot heading your way as idiot hunters think a strangled duck is nearby! Lol.

Anyhow, I love/hate the Mirage lighting system. It's the same as my Saturn, so I leave my lights on all the time, which is a pain when I stop and want to listen to the radio in seclusion without dash lights.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)