Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use running lights or always headlights?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Headlights serve two purposes. They are so you can see and so others can see you.

When you turn on your headlights you are also turning on your tail lights, hence making your vehicle more visible to the people behind you.

My little car turns nearly invisible in fog if my lights aren’t on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    We get a lot of crappy weather here in Western Washington, and I have a general routine when it comes to lights. I will have my running lights on during the day when it is rainy/foggy/snowy, and they will come on during clear weather starting at dusk.

In clear weather during the day, all lights are off. At night, the headlights are obviously always on. I will turn on the fog lights during crappy weather at night, fogs are off at night when it is clear.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I definitely go full lights on every time I drive, at this point it is just habit. My state (Rhode Island) also mandates that you turn on your headlights if your wipers are on, but that is mostly ignored (despite the large illuminated signs along the interstate). I figure the lights on will help others to at least see me a little better. I'll be interested to see what type of impact it has on my headlight bulbs in terms of how quickly they burn out. My last car (2010 Ford Focus) only required the replacement of 2 bulbs over the course of almost 9 years and 100k+ miles and that was with headlights on all the time.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I normally leave mine on.

I drive with High beams on for my entire commute in the morning, plus a 14" lightbar.

Evening, if it's not perfectly sunny, lights are on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

That's mighty considerate lol I just drive around blaring the horn flipping everyone off.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-16-2019),poorman1 (10-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I drive with High beams on for my entire commute in the morning, plus a 14" lightbar.
    That's awesome. How about using one of those headlight flashers motorcyclists use?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unless it is actually dark, I tend to use the running lights.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just drive around blaring the horn flipping everyone off.
    Thank you for this.
    Now I can't get the visual image out of my head.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark, you might be the person to answer this. I'm 48 and when I learned to drive in Iowa, I don't remember anything about "running lights" but I do remember "parking lights" and it being illegal to drive with them on. People used to call them bright lights, driving lights and "dims". It might have to do with the color of the bulbs...white lights vs ambers... What's your take on that?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    Mark, you might be the person to answer this. I'm 48 and when I learned to drive in Iowa, I don't remember anything about "running lights" but I do remember "parking lights" and it being illegal to drive with them on. People used to call them bright lights, driving lights and "dims". It might have to do with the color of the bulbs...white lights vs ambers... What's your take on that?
    When referring to "running lights", I meant "parking lights". The way I see it, the "parking lights" are for situations where you want others to see you, but you don't need the headlights (like sunny showers). That said, when in doubt, the headlights are on.

I've also heard that driving with your "parking lights" is illegal, but I'm not sure it's enforced.

I think some countries also have daytime running lights (eg, dim headlights), so there may be additional confusion there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)