Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Daytime headlight differences, USA/Canada

  1. #1
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    963
    Thanks
    597
    Thanked 139 Times in 117 Posts

    Daytime headlight differences, USA/Canada

    This thread is mostly for Mark. The Canada and US Mirage apparently is different with daytime running lights being standard. They are standard in the 2014 Mirage ES sold in Canada. I just looked it up in my old brochure I kept. Took some searching. Anyway I wanted to explain this but I wasn't sure if that was off topic.

    Mark I hope you find this thread so I will inbox you but not everyone reads those.

    Cheers! Name:  2014 mirage.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  57.1 KB


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  2. #2
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanks
    865
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    This thread is mostly for Mark. The Canada and US Mirage apparently is different with daytime running lights being standard. They are standard in the 2014 Mirage ES sold in Canada. I just looked it up in my old brochure I kept. Took some searching. Anyway I wanted to explain this but I wasn't sure if that was off topic.

    Mark I hope you find this thread so I will inbox you but not everyone reads those.

    Cheers! Name:  2014 mirage.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  57.1 KB
    DRLs have been mandatory in Canada for a long time now, haven't they? Lots of US-market cars had them in the '90s...especially GM vehicles.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

    dspace9 (09-18-2019)

  4. #3
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    963
    Thanks
    597
    Thanked 139 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    DRLs have been mandatory in Canada for a long time now, haven't they? Lots of US-market cars had them in the '90s...especially GM vehicles.
    Mandatory in Canada to have Daytime Running lights, since 1990 according to wikipedia. Sounds about right. Not daytime all lights though. I think that's another aspect of this topic. Rear end car accident in foggy/snowy weather happens from not seeing the car in front of you.

    I like driving with my rear lights on, then my whole Mirage is lit up like a real Christmas tree.
    People think headlights for visibility, but visibility is a 2 way street. First for you and then secondly, the other traffic.

    Seen and be seen
    Last edited by dspace9; 09-18-2019 at 07:44 AM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

    Cobrajet (09-18-2019),strawboss (09-18-2019)

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    704
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked 472 Times in 264 Posts
    DRL's are mandatory in Europe too.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

    dspace9 (09-18-2019)

  8. #5
    Senior Member Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Justin hating Alberta
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    2,579
    Thanks
    1,034
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 816 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Mandatory in Canada to have Daytime Running lights Sounds about right. Not daytime all lights though.
    Was actually after December 1 1989 but who's counting lol https://www.thestar.com/autos/2016/0...n-ontario.html

    Full time all around lights. It's coming soon. Thanks to the retards that drive around with the only drl on at night time. Gotta idiot proof the world it seems. I can't count how many times I see people drive at night with no tail lights on and only dim ass headlights. But yes I agree, that's another discussion.
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/new-...cles-1.3852200
    Truck
    POS Nissan
    Optima

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

    dspace9 (09-18-2019)

  10. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,771
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 559 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    This thread is mostly for Mark. The Canada and US Mirage apparently is different with daytime running lights being standard. They are standard in the 2014 Mirage ES sold in Canada. I just looked it up in my old brochure I kept. Took some searching. Anyway I wanted to explain this but I wasn't sure if that was off topic.

    Mark I hope you find this thread so I will inbox you but not everyone reads those.

    Cheers!
    Thanks for the email Dave!

    Since daytime running lights (DRL) have been mandatory in Canada for almost 30 years, it makes total sense for them being a standard feature on your cars. We're blessed/cursed with TPMS and backup cameras in the States.

    If these items save one life, it's worth it! I don't mean to make light of these features.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

    dspace9 (09-19-2019)

  12. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Paducah, KY
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 146 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    DRL's are mandatory in Europe too.
    And in Europe they are smart about it. Its not the regular low beam like DRLs in the US. Just a small "City Light" as they call it in the VW world. I remember upgrading my TDI Beetle to Euro projectors. Mostly I did it for the better light output, but also because the city lights allowed DRL without constantly eating H4 bulbs...

    Is Canukia the same gents?

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

    dspace9 (09-19-2019)

  14. #8
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    963
    Thanks
    597
    Thanked 139 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    DRL's are mandatory in Europe too.
    Makes sense. Reading various threads on the Mirage Forum here foama I find that you seem to have more mandatory regulations, like overall for your cars. Besides the Autobahn of course.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  15. #9
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    963
    Thanks
    597
    Thanked 139 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thanks for the email Dave!

    Since daytime running lights (DRL) have been mandatory in Canada for almost 30 years, it makes total sense for them being a standard feature on your cars. We're blessed/cursed with TPMS and backup cameras in the States.

    If these items save one life, it's worth it! I don't mean to make light of these features.
    No that is true Mark, for sure. You have to think of whether the other driver sees you, and moreso in a carlike the small Mirage, on the highway, especially in instances when the car blends in. Fog and lots of big rigs on the road. Then you can become invisible pretty quick w no lights on.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  16. #10
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    963
    Thanks
    597
    Thanked 139 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Was actually after December 1 1989 but who's counting lol https://www.thestar.com/autos/2016/0...n-ontario.html

    Full time all around lights. It's coming soon. Thanks to the retards that drive around with the only drl on at night time. Gotta idiot proof the world it seems. I can't count how many times I see people drive at night with no tail lights on and only dim ass headlights. But yes I agree, that's another discussion.
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/new-...cles-1.3852200
    I don't remember the event personally. I was then 6 turning 7 in 1989. A few years before 1989 my neighbour 1 year younger than me he took his dad's Baby Benz the 190 black car, and he got in the running car, or got the keys somehow.. and backed the car into my driveway right across the street, and broke the driver's door right off the car. Thanks to a hydro or telephone pole.

    Parked the baby benz though at 3 years old. I remember the car, an automatic transmission but a nice ride for sure. The hot rod version is in Forza 5 and other games.


    Last edited by dspace9; 09-19-2019 at 08:52 AM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  17. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

    Fummins (09-19-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •