Thread: Daytime headlight differences, USA/Canada

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Daytime headlight differences, USA/Canada

This thread is mostly for Mark. The Canada and US Mirage apparently is different with daytime running lights being standard. They are standard in the 2014 Mirage ES sold in Canada. I just looked it up in my old brochure I kept. Took some searching. Anyway I wanted to explain this but I wasn't sure if that was off topic.

Mark I hope you find this thread so I will inbox you but not everyone reads those.

Cheers! Name:  2014 mirage.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  57.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    This thread is mostly for Mark. The Canada and US Mirage apparently is different with daytime running lights being standard. They are standard in the 2014 Mirage ES sold in Canada. I just looked it up in my old brochure I kept. Took some searching. Anyway I wanted to explain this but I wasn't sure if that was off topic.

Mark I hope you find this thread so I will inbox you but not everyone reads those.

Cheers! Name:  2014 mirage.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  57.1 KB
    DRLs have been mandatory in Canada for a long time now, haven't they? Lots of US-market cars had them in the '90s...especially GM vehicles.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-18-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    DRLs have been mandatory in Canada for a long time now, haven't they? Lots of US-market cars had them in the '90s...especially GM vehicles.
    Mandatory in Canada to have Daytime Running lights, since 1990 according to wikipedia. Sounds about right. Not daytime all lights though. I think that's another aspect of this topic. Rear end car accident in foggy/snowy weather happens from not seeing the car in front of you.

I like driving with my rear lights on, then my whole Mirage is lit up like a real Christmas tree.
    People think headlights for visibility, but visibility is a 2 way street. First for you and then secondly, the other traffic.

Seen and be seen
    Last edited by dspace9; 09-18-2019 at 06:44 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-18-2019),strawboss (09-18-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    DRL's are mandatory in Europe too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-18-2019)

Mandatory in Canada to have Daytime Running lights Sounds about right. Not daytime all lights though.
    Was actually after December 1 1989 but who's counting lol https://www.thestar.com/autos/2016/0...n-ontario.html

Full time all around lights. It's coming soon. Thanks to the retards that drive around with the only drl on at night time. Gotta idiot proof the world it seems. I can't count how many times I see people drive at night with no tail lights on and only dim ass headlights. But yes I agree, that's another discussion.
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/new-...cles-1.3852200
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Cheers!
    Thanks for the email Dave!

Since daytime running lights (DRL) have been mandatory in Canada for almost 30 years, it makes total sense for them being a standard feature on your cars. We're blessed/cursed with TPMS and backup cameras in the States.

If these items save one life, it's worth it! I don't mean to make light of these features.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    And in Europe they are smart about it. Its not the regular low beam like DRLs in the US. Just a small "City Light" as they call it in the VW world. I remember upgrading my TDI Beetle to Euro projectors. Mostly I did it for the better light output, but also because the city lights allowed DRL without constantly eating H4 bulbs...

Is Canukia the same gents?
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-19-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Makes sense. Reading various threads on the Mirage Forum here foama I find that you seem to have more mandatory regulations, like overall for your cars. Besides the Autobahn of course.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thanks for the email Dave!

Since daytime running lights (DRL) have been mandatory in Canada for almost 30 years, it makes total sense for them being a standard feature on your cars. We're blessed/cursed with TPMS and backup cameras in the States.

If these items save one life, it's worth it! I don't mean to make light of these features.
    No that is true Mark, for sure. You have to think of whether the other driver sees you, and moreso in a carlike the small Mirage, on the highway, especially in instances when the car blends in. Fog and lots of big rigs on the road. Then you can become invisible pretty quick w no lights on.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Was actually after December 1 1989 but who's counting lol https://www.thestar.com/autos/2016/0...n-ontario.html

Full time all around lights. It's coming soon. Thanks to the retards that drive around with the only drl on at night time. Gotta idiot proof the world it seems. I can't count how many times I see people drive at night with no tail lights on and only dim ass headlights. But yes I agree, that's another discussion.
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/new-...cles-1.3852200
    I don't remember the event personally. I was then 6 turning 7 in 1989. A few years before 1989 my neighbour 1 year younger than me he took his dad's Baby Benz the 190 black car, and he got in the running car, or got the keys somehow.. and backed the car into my driveway right across the street, and broke the driver's door right off the car. Thanks to a hydro or telephone pole.

Parked the baby benz though at 3 years old. I remember the car, an automatic transmission but a nice ride for sure. The hot rod version is in Forza 5 and other games.

Last edited by dspace9; 09-19-2019 at 07:52 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-19-2019)