Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Big teardown tonight. clutch /rear main seal

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyb View Post
    When i drained the trans oil it looked like chocolate milk (first indicator of major issues) but it was completely full . As much as its been leaking the trans fluid should have been pretty low and it looked pretty dry around the input shaft.
    This is interesting. I wonder where all the extra fluid came from? Sounds like water, doesn't it? Been doing any underwater excursions?

I haven't removed the flywheel yet to get a look at the oil seal yet.
    No need at this point. Your roached input bearing would never seal with that much movement.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    When i drained the trans oil it looked like chocolate milk (first indicator of major issues) but it was completely full.
    Interesting. I'm at 75K on my original fluid...but I can't imagine a trans with less abuse than mine. When I do a fluid change I'll send mine in for analysis.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is interesting. I wonder where all the extra fluid came from? Sounds like water, doesn't it? Been doing any underwater excursions?

No need at this point. Your roached input bearing would never seal with that much movement.
    LOL no. That's one thing i haven't put it through. it looked milky from all the metallic stuff ground up in it.
    I'm pulling the flywheel anyway. I'm going to replace it and the rear main seal while i have it apart.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Would overfilling cause a problem?

Last time i changed the trans oil I had it up on ramps and i put 2 full quarts of Redline 75W85 GL-4 in it. It calls for 1.7 quarts but on any gear case I've always used the "fill it till it runs out" method.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Interesting. I'm at 75K on my original fluid...but I can't imagine a trans with less abuse than mine. When I do a fluid change I'll send mine in for analysis.

Manual says change at 60K (ask me how i know)...good luck

https://allforeignautoparts.com/ This is where I've been getting my parts in Pittsburgh. They're half the price of anywhere else I've checked.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Would you say the reason your alternator and compressor failed was the hard way you drove it? By driving Uber I wonder if by default Im stressing my ride like you did yours?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Would you say the reason your alternator and compressor failed was the hard way you drove it? By driving Uber I wonder if by default Im stressing my ride like you did yours?

You're doing a lot of miles in normal operating ranges. Its a lot easier on your components than high revving in the red line on all your shifts and speeding down the road. Your cvt actually works to your advantage to keep the engine revs low, and thereby the rpms on the alternator and compressor lower, too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

Absolutely correct. Rear main seal was fine (i changed it anyway). All of the oil dripping out of my bell housing was transmission oil.

Removed and installed the new rear main seal then put everything back together. Filled the trans with oil and immediately has a steady leak from the passenger side axle seal. Popped the axle out and the seal was missing the circular internal spring that keeps the rubber in contact with the axle. Picking a new seal up on Thursday -$24. While it was completely together and dripping trans fluid i started it up and ran it through the gears with the front end off the ground. It sounded better than it has in a couple years. Cant wait to drive it.
    Name:  mirage seal2.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  47.2 KB
    Name:  mirage rear.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  94.0 KB
    Name:  mirage new.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  22.3 KB

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dustyb For This Useful Post:

bzacon (10-08-2019),Loren (09-23-2019),MetroMPG (09-27-2019),ThunderG (09-25-2019),Top_Fuel (09-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice work.
    Did you keep your old trans or use it as a core? Curious why you didn't try the old seal and if you'll be disassembling the old box and possibly posting pictures?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @dustyb
    How are you getting 36 minimum driving fast in the 5 speed? If I want to get 40 or better I have to try. I can EASILY get it under 30mpg on a trip with mixed city and highway driving between 40 and 80 mph. I just have to use all the gears!

2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US