Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scootabout :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage SE with Comfort Package (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Scootabout
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage SE with Comfort Package
    White
    Manual

Comments: 18 / Views: 15997
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm at about 18k km right now. I really want to, and will, do a hydrogen hybrid conversion once the warranty is up. I'll be developing the hydrogen conversion unit in the meantime. Anyone else thinking along those lines or have tried it already?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kineo For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-07-2016)

Kineo, I see you have a picture of your car in your garage, but you have it in the middle slot. You have to put something in the "main image" slot for it to appear in your garage.

Just FYI.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I couldn't figure out how to do that. I was trying but nothing I did would work.

*Edit:
    I finally figured it out. Didn't realize I had to click the link for main image to upload there. I thought that's what I was doing before.
    Last edited by Kineo; 04-22-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You know, I really have neglected to update this thread....

I've added some things to the Scootabout like the aerial from the '15 model (it fits and gives the car an "Alfalfa" look) as well as OEM winter mats, a 9.6 amp (total) usb charger hub (4 ports) for all my gadget needs and a magnetic cell phone holder that goes in the cd slot. (I don't use the cd player)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kineo For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineo View Post
    You know, I really have neglected to update this thread....

I've added some things to the Scootabout like the aerial from the '15 model (it fits and gives the car an "Alfalfa" look) as well as OEM winter mats, a 9.6 amp (total) usb charger hub (4 ports) for all my gadget needs and a magnetic cell phone holder that goes in the cd slot. (I don't use the cd player)
    Pictures, please! What are your thoughts on items such as the floor mats and your charger hub? Have you tried connecting your charger hub into your radio USB port, and is the radio then capable of using multiple memory devices? Just wondering. Thanks for sharing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineo View Post
    I'm at about 18k km right now. I really want to, and will, do a hydrogen hybrid conversion once the warranty is up. I'll be developing the hydrogen conversion unit in the meantime. Anyone else thinking along those lines or have tried it already?
    This is a great idea. How is your progress here?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Pictures, please! What are your thoughts on items such as the floor mats and your charger hub? Have you tried connecting your charger hub into your radio USB port, and is the radio then capable of using multiple memory devices? Just wondering. Thanks for sharing.
    I'll try to take some pictures soon. I've been hella busy the last few months because I'm training to be a Signing Authority Trainer with my company. (I'm a school bus driver) What that means is that I'll be able to train (upgrade) drivers to be school bus drivers but also administer and sign off on their road tests. It's a very rigorous program to get Signing Authority, as you can imagine.

As for my thoughts:
    The Weathertek floor mats may be a little better in that the whole floor is covered but the dead pedal coverage is much better with the OEM and the side walls are slightly higher with the Weatherteks but not by much. I'll try to get good pics of them soon. It is winter so my floors will be dirty but it might give you guys a better idea of how well or not they work. The bonus is that the OEM mats are much cheaper. I'll have to look up the receipt but I believe I got front and back for about CDN $150 from Scarborough Mitsubishi. As for the charger hub, it's got the power point plug and no usb cord to plug it into the radio usb port. I'll update with the product number, price and where I bought it soon. To my knowledge, it is only for charging and I do not believe that you can port it into the radio usb port.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is a great idea. How is your progress here?
    I haven't started development yet as I've been busy but I'll be getting help from my Dad who has made such a unit in Greece for an old model BMW 2002 series. I did get a helpful hint from the service manager at the Mitsu dealership. Because of the reactive nature of pure hydrogen with certain metals like aluminum, he said I may want to look into doing a light coating of the inside of the air intake (?) with silicone to prevent unnecessary wear and tear. I'll get deets soon as I'm due for the 40k service this month. The basic principle is making a hydrogen module and porting the hydrogen into the the air intake with a small diameter hose. Since the injector sensors only send as much fuel as the cylinder needs for the total volume of combustion and hydrogen fills up the chamber much more quickly than air can, only about 10% of the normal volume of gasoline is injected into the chamber. According to my Dad, the hydrogen adds about 35% more hp because of the high combustability of hydrogen.

I'm still in the light research stage on this because I still have about 120k km on my warranty but I'm hoping that in the next couple/few years I'll be able to pick up an older Mirage or similar beater to do some test runs on with a prototype.

Regards,
    Peter

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kineo For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-07-2016),LetItMarinate (09-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good luck. I'll bet you'll be able to get one fairly cheap.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Lightbulb Promised pics of additions to the Scootabout

So, here's some promised pictures. It's winter here so please excuse the mess.

The 2014 has the long wire aerial antenna so when the 2015 came around with the stubby aerial, I was trying to think of ways to get it on the Scootabout. That is until I realized that the threading is the same so I bought the '15 aerial and cut off the excess rubber/plastic housing that surrounds the screw. I didn't take a close up shot of it but here's the end result:
    Name:  20160207_131236.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  78.2 KB

Next up, we have the OEM Floor Mats. I got front and back for about $160 CDN (with a discount, 165+ tax MSRP), taxes in from the dealer vs $249+tax at Canadian Tire which doesn't have the rear mats connected.

Front mats:
    Name:  20160207_132552.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  96.9 KB
    Name:  20160207_132607.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  97.6 KB
    Name:  20160207_132629.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  82.5 KB
    Name:  20160207_132723.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  95.8 KB

Rear mat (note- attached across centre console):
    Name:  20160207_132837.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  97.9 KB
    Name:  20160207_132913.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  99.1 KB

Next up is the Dash Cam. I got the Garmin Dash Cam 20 at a liquidation place for $130 taxes in:
    Name:  20160207_132752.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  91.7 KB

Also got a 4 port usb charger hub. Wagan 4-Port USB Power Hub With Flush Mount (EL2892). Each port provides up to 2400 mAh so you can plug in up to 4 iPads or the equivalent and charge them no problem. At Best Buy for $40 CDN +tax. I'm going to move it to up on the dash in front of the piano black console because the adhesives on the provided velcro wouldn't hold no matter what I did and I don't want to screw anything in at the moment. Another gripe I had was that with it's current placement, it was making shifting gears a bit of a chore. I can't think of another placement that would work better. Thoughts?
    Pic in car:
    (see next post)

And finally (for now) is the Koomus Pro CD Slot - Magnetic. I don't use my cd player so it was perfect for me but I also tested it on the central air vents and it works there too! $30 on the site or find it through amazon/e-bay.
    Pic in the Scootabout:
    Name:  20160207_132952.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  96.1 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kineo For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-15-2016)