Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Running Out Of Gas Damage Your Car?

If ran dry and attempt to start for hours on end will likely shorten it's life by a lot. I agree that it's not great to run low or dry. I've run everything I own pretty low on or completely empty at one point. Oddly enough the only fuel pumps I've replaced were in atv's and utv's and I'm pretty sure it was cause they took on too much water and dirt from the vent line being ran too low while playing submarine.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I have run my Mirage out of gas at least a dozen times, likely more. I almost always run it down to the last fraction of a gallon before filling it back up, and I always fill it up. I think I have only put a partial tank of gas in my car once or twice. Run it to empty or near empty...fill it all the way back up.

No problems to report.
    Okay I have to ask. Why? So you just run out on the road and have to walk and get gas or what? Why go to the last once and beyond like that?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Okay I have to ask. Why? So you just run out on the road and have to walk and get gas or what? Why go to the last once and beyond like that?
    I keep spare gas in the car. I don't run out often, but it has happened quite a few times. When it does I just pull over, dump in the spare 1.5 liters I keep, fire the car up, and I am good for another 25-30 miles. So there is no real downside to running it dry. I drive for a living, and sometimes the place I work is so busy that I don't have time to stop until I have driven another 50 miles.

Plus, I know that the idea of damaging your car by only having 2 gallons of gas in it is an "old wives' tale".

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    In relation to this...

Name:  there-are-two-kinds-of-people-i-need-to-fill-48439780.png
Views: 505
Size:  62.2 KB

I'm the "I know my car" guy. I have two vehicles; I drive until I get the low fuel warning light (meaning that in the Mirage, the gauge starts blinking). I note when I see the warning, drive on for another 50-100km, pull up to a pump and go "this tank will take around 30 liters of fuel." When the pump stops, it will read something like 29.995L.

It helps that I do 99.9999542% (approximate figure) of the driving of either vehicle.

My wife is the other kind of person. If she sees the gauge even a little bit on the low side, she'll fill it up. And then we'll have an argument. "You should be grateful that I filled it up!" "You ruined my economy measurement for the month!"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-20-2019),Daox (09-20-2019),Fummins (09-20-2019),MetroMPG (09-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've run dry 2 or 3 times. Once time, to my surprise once the gas pump started flashing within minutes it seems the entire bar flashed then shortly after, sputter and stop. This was my 2014 and it only went 400km or 240mi. on that tank for approx 30mpg.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I've run dry 2 or 3 times. Once time, to my surprise once the gas pump started flashing within minutes it seems the entire bar flashed then shortly after, sputter and stop. This was my 2014 and it only went 400km or 240mi. on that tank for approx 30mpg.
    I've never gotten that bad of mileage in the mirage. A week when it was -15 to -25 f I got like 37-38mpg. That was the only time it was under 40's

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I've never gotten that bad of mileage in the mirage. A week when it was -15 to -25 f I got like 37-38mpg. That was the only time it was under 40's
    I would say the same for me. I've only seen below 40 mpg once or twice, and that was during extremely cold -20F temperatures day after day. Even then it was 39 point-something mpg, & that was before I added an engine block heater, too.

Driving 75-80 mph with A/C full blast in North Dakota didn't even phase my Mirage that much. It still stayed above 40 mpg on that trip. That's with a 2017 5-speed manual. Approximately, 47 mpg summer & 42 mpg winter is pretty typical for my Mirage.

As far as running out of gas, I have never done that with a vehicle. Don't see the need to try either? The 8 bars on the Mirage gas gauge seem to represent 8 gallons. When those 8 bars disappear, about 1.2 gallons of gas is still left. Don't hold me to those numbers, but it seems to be close to that in my opinion.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    In relation to this...

Name:  there-are-two-kinds-of-people-i-need-to-fill-48439780.png
Views: 505
Size:  62.2 KB

I'm the "I know my car" guy. I have two vehicles; I drive until I get the low fuel warning light (meaning that in the Mirage, the gauge starts blinking). I note when I see the warning, drive on for another 50-100km, pull up to a pump and go "this tank will take around 30 liters of fuel." When the pump stops, it will read something like 29.995L.

It helps that I do 99.9999542% (approximate figure) of the driving of either vehicle.

My wife is the other kind of person. If she sees the gauge even a little bit on the low side, she'll fill it up. And then we'll have an argument. "You should be grateful that I filled it up!" "You ruined my economy measurement for the month!"
    I heard Mitsubishi is going to rename the Phillipino built Mirage G4. Going to call it the Mitsubishi Magellan lol.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would say the same for me. I've only seen below 40 mpg once or twice, and that was during extremely cold -20F temperatures day after day. Even then it was 39 point-something mpg, & that was before I added an engine block heater, too.

Driving 75-80 mph with A/C full blast in North Dakota didn't even phase my Mirage that much. It still stayed above 40 mpg on that trip. That's with a 2017 5-speed manual. Approximately, 47 mpg summer & 42 mpg winter is pretty typical for my Mirage.

As far as running out of gas, I have never done that with a vehicle. Don't see the need to try either? The 8 bars on the Mirage gas gauge seem to represent 8 gallons. When those 8 bars disappear, about 1.2 gallons of gas is still left. Don't hold me to those numbers, but it seems to be close to that in my opinion.
    Your guestimate on the gas gauge is darn close. It's a 9.24 US gallon tank!

40mpg US is 48mpg Imperial. My '17 will do 48-50mpg but not if I rip it @75mph with A/C, then I only get 43-45mpg Imperial.

I think my '14 was one of the engines that had the cylinders scored from very cold temps. That car also, to my surprise, used a liter of oil in 6,000 kms. It was totaled so I never had a chance to persue the scoring.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)