Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any Mirage owners also an MG owner?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My family had a 1976 MGB that we rebuilt a lot of "stuff" on. Whatever you think your budget is for an old LBC (little British car) you need more $.

Check under for rust, the floorboards, the door sills, the rear fender doglegs (can't tell from the photos, rust bubbles means there's more you cannot see). If there is any rust between the wheels and below the belt line walk away, unless you enjoy cutting out old sheet metal and welding in new along with the require bodywork.

My Dad replaced the floorboards on ours, sills were fine, after 20 or so years the rear doglegs started to rust.

I'm going to guess that both seats are cracked, no idea what the driver one looks like as it has a cover but you can see the cracks on the passenger side. Dash top is cracked, you can buy reproduction units from overseas or a cheap cover that looks ugly. Stuff like this starts to add up if you want it to look nice. As was mentioned the wire wheel covers are... unpleasant. Mini-lites or a set of replacement wire wheels.

There is no offence intended, but I would not pay $9K for it.

2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigq For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-29-2019),dspace9 (09-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Ha! Too bad the image isn't showing up for me. I had to visit the website to see it.

I recommend saving images to the forum rather than referencing another website. I've noticed some of those image hosting websites are blocking the pictures from showing on forums, and requiring visiting the host website.

Edit: now that I quoted your post, the image shows up for me. Go figure.

Edit #2: Now you deleted your post! ha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigq View Post
    My family had a 1976 MGB that we rebuilt a lot of "stuff" on. Whatever you think your budget is for an old LBC (little British car) you need more $.

Check under for rust, the floorboards, the door sills, the rear fender doglegs (can't tell from the photos, rust bubbles means there's more you cannot see). If there is any rust between the wheels and below the belt line walk away, unless you enjoy cutting out old sheet metal and welding in new along with the require bodywork.

My Dad replaced the floorboards on ours, sills were fine, after 20 or so years the rear doglegs started to rust.

I'm going to guess that both seats are cracked, no idea what the driver one looks like as it has a cover but you can see the cracks on the passenger side. Dash top is cracked, you can buy reproduction units from overseas or a cheap cover that looks ugly. Stuff like this starts to add up if you want it to look nice. As was mentioned the wire wheel covers are... unpleasant. Mini-lites or a set of replacement wire wheels.

Name:  PqEAXWC.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  85.3 KB

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by craigq View Post

Thanks craigq for the insight and info. What got me drawn in to this car is that it's an unusual year. A very pretty car. Looks like an old DB4, which makes this seem like a money pit car worth it for the looks, the pleasing aesthetics. That was my main draw to this car. That is a huge factor to consider when thinking of a collectors car.

I take great note of all the pitfalls to this car also.

If the price drops online, or the car sits around on the used car lot for 6 months, I will maybe go see the MG. I'll take everything I have learned on the Mirage Forum with me. Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-29-2019)