Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tpms programable sensors and clone tool

Country
    United States
    Thanks

tpms programable sensors and clone tool

what are the suggestions for sensors and a clone tool?

i like the way the autel is described in the post by top_fuel.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    what are the suggestions for sensors and a clone tool?

i like the way the autel is described in the post by top_fuel.
    Top is pretty much the TPMS expert here. Mitsubishi uses an INCREDIBLY frustrating TPMS system in the Mirage, and cloning is the way to go. I bought a used Bartec 400SD and was able to clone sensors with it, but it sounds like Autel is a cheaper alternative.

The only advantage the Bartec has is the ability to clone any clone-able sensor...the Autel sensors may be proprietary.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Rockabilly Manta (09-08-2019),Top_Fuel (09-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The only advantage the Bartec has is the ability to clone any clone-able sensor...the Autel sensors may be proprietary.
    it looks like this ateq vt36 can also program all aftermarket sensors

https://www.ateq-tpms.com/en-us/prod...gramming-tool/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    All of the latest TPMS info (that I know) is condensed in this thread. Whenever I find out something new, I update that thread.

TPMS Quick Reference

The Autel tool I mention in that thread (Autel TS408) is still the least expensive way to own a tool and clone your own sensors. I have used it myself and as far as cloning goes, it does what it says. The Autel tool also has an OBDII interface. While this interface won't help you on a Mirage, it will help with other vehicles. I have used mine on late-model Hondas that require an OBDII interface. One other important consideration... The Autel tool also gives you free software updates for the life of the tool. I have updated mine several times since I bought it about 18 months ago.

I have owned (and returned) a tool from Ateq in the past. At the time (about 2 years ago) Ateq was making a lot of claims about how their products would work on a Mirage...but they wouldn't. Now...if the Ateq tool can program all brands of programmable sensors...that's interesting. But I'm not sure that would be enough to make me want to take a chance on it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What's your goal? Are you trying to run a set of winter wheels/tires while maintaining the TPMS system functionality?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    What's your goal? Are you trying to run a set of winter wheels/tires while maintaining the TPMS system functionality?
    i had a sensor die last monday and i went to discount tire. they installed a tpms sensor and relearned it successfully in the past (but that was in a different state). this time they could not successfully relearn the new sensor. they told me to go to the dealership and gave me a refund. since this is the second sensor to die on me i suspect the rest will too. id like to be able to replace my sensors without having to relearn. also have a second set of wheels and tires isnt a terrible idea. in colorado most emissions testers will fail you automatically if the tpms light or any warning light is on. so next year i will need to have this resolved. i tried explaining the correct tpms relearn procedure steve described in his garage entry to the bozos at five different discount tire stores. monday i am going to try to explain the procedure as described to me by midsubushi service (plug in bartec, turn ignition to on without starting the engine, start learning procedure, trigger the sensors with a second bartec) to another discount tire store. but i want to resolve this without having to rely on the dealership or anyone.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    ...had a sensor die
    ...went to discount tire
    ...they installed a tpms sensor...they could not successfully relearn the new sensor
    ...told me to go to the dealership
    OK...I got ya.

So now you have 1 sensor ID that isn't registered in your TPMS computer. That's a bummer. If you still had the bad sensor that they replaced, then you would know the 4 sensor ID's in the computer (and you could clone a replacement). Now you're stuck trying to find anyone who can do the relearn procedure in a Mirage. I have been there and it sucks. I had to pay the dealer $100 to bail me out of that situation a couple of years ago. Hopefully you'll find a Discount Tire who actually knows how to do it. I wonder if they are using the Mitsubishi cable that is required on the Bartec tool?

Once you get this issue resolved, have someone use a tool to read your 4 sensor IDs and write them down somewhere. If you know the 4 sensor IDs in your car you'll never be in this jam again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Once you get this issue resolved, have someone use a tool to read your 4 sensor IDs and write them down somewhere. If you know the 4 sensor IDs in your car you'll never be in this jam again.
    That really is the moral of the story for anyone reading this thread. As long as you know your 4 sensor ID codes stored in your car's TPMS, there's no need to do anything except clone a new sensor to the one you are replacing. Even if it is totally dead & no longer can be read, the code is stamped on it.

If you want to use a 2nd set of tires during different times of the year, you can match those tires all up. Switch wheels with matching sensors, & you are ready to go! Even if I had the correct tool to reprogram the car, why would I want to do take the extra time to do that twice a year (summer & winter tires)?

If a tire shop can't clone your existing bad sensor, I wouldn't buy a new sensor from them. I surely wouldn't let them toss the old until I have the ID # off of it. Now that cloning is an option, I don't see the need for ever visiting a dealer & being a charged for this service.

In my case, I am not making a 130 mile round trip to the nearest Mitsubishi dealership that I can't stomach in the first place. It's cloning or go without for me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Obviously, some of these items have been discussed in other threads. It still good to make certain points that others may not have read elsewhere.

I like the flexibility and simplicity of cloning. I presently have a newer set of Federal SS657 tires on the front of my Mirage, & I have a pair of factory original Dunlop Enasave tires on the rear. These four wheels have the original factory sensors in them (TPMS dash light is not on).

In mid-November, I will move the Federal SS657 tires back to the rear (as part of my tire rotation). I will replace the more worn Dunlop Enasave tires with a pair of Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires up front. Ideally you should run snow tires on all 4 wheels, but this works for me. I need the added traction to climb winter ridge roads in my area.

I don't have sensors in my Nokian snow tires (TPMS dash light will be on). If I took the time to add a pair of clone-able sensors to these tires, I could easily change that. I would just clone the new sensors to the two wheels sitting in my garage during the winter months. The problem is solved. No trip to a dealership is needed, nor do I need to visit 2 or 3 local tire shops & have them tell me that they can't help me reprogram my car.

When I bought the Nokian snow tires in December of 2017, I called the major tire shops in my hometown. Cloning a Mitsubishi Mirage sensor wasn't possible for any of them. Thus, I decided to go without sensors.

Buying a tool like the Autel TS408 and their clone-able sensors would allow me to keep my TPMS working properly year round. If I decide to use a different combination of wheels/tires, the clone-able sensors can be reprogrammed. All you need to do is release the psi in the tire, reprogrammed it to a new code, & pump the tire back up with air. Pretty simple!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i still have the oe sensor