Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote start and plain keys and programming keys.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Remote start and plain keys and programming keys.

I have a remote start kit NIB for manual trannies. I've never liked the bulk of our keys with the remote unlock. I prefer a slim keyring with plain keys.

I've read the remote start manual and it appears that it is compatible with my Mirage. The only issue that stands out is the need for the computer chip that's housed in the key to be present at all times. That's correct, isn't it? The Mirage will not start and in fact locks you out if you try to start it with a non-chipped key?

My plan then is to reprogram a key that was for my 2014 Mirage, then disassemble that key to get the chip and mount the chip in a hidden location behind the dash where it can be read. Does anyone know what component actually looks for and reads the chip? Can you post a picture?

Now, with a chip in place permanently does this mean I can now use plain jane keys in the ignition? You know, the $3 bare bones bronze blanks that everybody sells? If this works I can toss my factory keys in a drawer and not worry about losing them.

Short of being to remote unlock the doors is there any other disadvantage in my plan of using plain keys?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I have a remote start kit NIB for manual trannies. I've never liked the bulk of our keys with the remote unlock. I prefer a slim keyring with plain keys.

I've read the remote start manual and it appears that it is compatible with my Mirage. The only issue that stands out is the need for the computer chip that's housed in the key to be present at all times. That's correct, isn't it? The Mirage will not start and in fact locks you out if you try to start it with a non-chipped key?

My plan then is to reprogram a key that was for my 2014 Mirage, then disassemble that key to get the chip and mount the chip in a hidden location behind the dash where it can be read. Does anyone know what component actually looks for and reads the chip? Can you post a picture?

Now, with a chip in place permanently does this mean I can now use plain jane keys in the ignition? You know, the $3 bare bones bronze blanks that everybody sells? If this works I can toss my factory keys in a drawer and not worry about losing them.

Short of being to remote unlock the doors is there any other disadvantage in my plan of using plain keys?
    The 'chip' is not a chip as much as a little electronic module inside the key head. I believe the Mirage has a 'smart key', which is actually a little battery-powered receiver/transmitter. It isn't like the passive chip keys used back in the day in cars like the C4 Corvette. The ETACS and the module in the key actually talk to each other.

I suppose if you were to pull that little module out of the key head and stick it inside the steering column housing near the switch that might work? I have had that module out before when my ex damaged her key housing.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ah, that makes sense. A small RF unit powered by the battery in the key. I'll get it reprogrammed first then take it apart. i'm in no hurry, I hope to have remote starting before it gets cold and snowy here.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

I'm pretty sure the piece that is for the immobilizer has nothing to do with the battery in the key. Unless it picks up power wirelessly. I'll look for a pic of a key I opened up.
    I'm talking for 2015 cars with key's and keyless entry.

Edit: Damnit I was wrong twice this year now..Looks like there is no separate pill in our fobs. I was thinking of a pic that foama posted. His key had a seperate chip'
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-23-2019 at 04:44 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm pretty sure the piece that is for the immobilizer has nothing to do with the battery in the key. Unless it picks up power wirelessly. I'll look for a pic of a key I opened up.
    I'm talking for 2015 cars with key's and keyless entry.

Edit: Damnit I was wrong twice this year now..Looks like there is no separate pill in our fobs. I was thinking of a pic that foama posted. His key had a seperate chip'
    The chip inside the key isn't powered by any battery. Your battery could be dead or removed from your key, & the car will still start. The battery operates the power locks.

The keys with chips don't require a battery. Several other brands use a key & separate remote for power locks & theft alarm. Remove those items from the key ring, & your car will start. My Subaru Forester & Chevy Impala are this way.

The Chevy Impala is used by multiple driving instructors. Plain blank keys are used to access the car. A key with the chip is kept in the glovebox. Our Impala will not start with the blank key even when the other key is in the car. The key with the chip has to be in the ignition to start. That key has no batteries, just a chip.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ok, I think I get the picture now. Our keys are like chipped debit cards, or security tags used by stores. They are passive chips and there is a reader somewhere in the Mirage to detect the presence of the chip.

What I'm curious about is the ability to reprogram a key to work on a different Mirage. I thought passive chips were written permanently and could not be altered? Does anyone know?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Ok, I think I get the picture now. Our keys are like chipped debit cards, or security tags used by stores. They are passive chips and there is a reader somewhere in the Mirage to detect the presence of the chip.

What I'm curious about is the ability to reprogram a key to work on a different Mirage. I thought passive chips were written permanently and could not be altered? Does anyone know?
    Typically, it's the car that you are programming to recognize the key electronically.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts

You may need feedback from Canadian Mirage owners. I say this, because ....

My owner's manual says - "You are provided with 2 keys, but you may register up to 8 keys."

The very next heading is - "Customer key programming (Except for vehicles sold in Canada)"

Suggestion: I would have that $2-3 blank key made. Put that blank key in your ignition (while your factory key is next to it), & see what happens when you try to start your car?

That way you aren't pursuing something that may not work in the first place. You are only out $2-3 if it doesn't work, & you would have an extra key to unlock your car.

There are some obvious differences between American and Canadian Mirages, but it's very unclear what that might be?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do to an incident at ocean shores very shortly after purchasing our mirage I had a spare key made. I went out just a moment ago and tested the theory for you. Even with the factory key on the same key ring as the cheap spare it will not allow the car to start. With absolutely no research into the matter, and strictly common sense deduction I assume the key acts as a type of conductor or wire between the car and the chip in the key. In other words I believe the key itself is the path for the signal between the chip and the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshR View Post
    With absolutely no research into the matter, and strictly common sense deduction I assume the key acts as a type of conductor or wire between the car and the chip in the key. In other words I believe the key itself is the path for the signal between the chip and the car.
    That, or it is designed to work only in very close proximity of the antenna, which if I understand correctly circles the mechanical key switch. Some card access systems work like this, as well as NFC.

My F.A.S.T. key will work (that is, is able to communicate with the immobilizer system) anywhere inside the passenger compartment. That is as long as it's battery is good.

Last edited by Eggman; 09-24-2019 at 08:49 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)