Country
    Canada
    Thanks

mirage rear cargo/sleeping area

this is quick ,dirty and still a work in progress
    i removed the rear seats and seatbelts.
    bought bolts to bolt down 1x4 boards to the floor
    screwed spacers to the floor boards
    put in sliding boards to extend the space with the front seats pulled forward (for sleeping)
    and quick sheet of 1/2 inch plywood to cover everything..
    when it is prefect i will redo this post.
    so think of this as teaser if i ever decide its prefect
    (on the right side is my walking stick holder if your asking)

pic1
    collapsed state

pic2
    extended state

pic3 and 4 with the plywood cover.

expect more to come..

ask any questions and ill answer when i can

Attached Images Attached Images     

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nutpantz For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-22-2019),inuvik (09-22-2019),Marklovski (09-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Pretty creative design! I think some forum members are really going to appreciate you sharing this!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nutpantz View Post

pic3 and 4 with the plywood cover.

expect more to come..

ask any questions and ill answer when i can
    I have thought about how I would sleep in my Mirage because being a hatchback there is more possibility than a small sedan. I am too tall over 6' so this setup or any other, even a sleeping bag and a cushy rollout mattress would be awkward for me. Hope you turn your Mirage into a mini RV

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have thought about how I would sleep in my Mirage because being a hatchback there is more possibility than a small sedan. I am too tall over 6' so this setup or any other, even a sleeping bag and a cushy rollout mattress would be awkward for me. Hope you turn your Mirage into a mini RV
    I'm 6"2 and I can sleep diagonally very comfortably,I use the passenger seat back as a pillow

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nutpantz For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-23-2019),dspace9 (09-22-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I will have to try again nutpantz. I have fit an 8' 2 x 6 in my Mirage, rear hatch closed, and the board diagonal and almost hitting the glass (covered with old towel).

I wouldn't do it again. The oft chance I get decent free non bowed lumber, I know my limitations.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My plan is to remove the seat cushion, leaving the rear seat backs in place.
    Fully recline the front passenger seatback with the headrest removed.
    Build a well supported platform that fits above the passenger seat, that reaches from the dashboard/glovebox to the rear seatbacks. It will fit widthwise, from the drivers seat to the door up front, and widthwise, from door to door in the back.
    On top of this a thin mattress of some sort or fashion.
    I am 5 foot 9 and a half inches tall and should just fit on a diagonal.
    If more room is needed, I will remove rear seat backs and extend the platform to the rear of the hatch.
    My wish is not to remove the rear seat backs, so that when my camping trip is over, all I would have to do is, remove mattress and platform and re-install rear seat cushion. Set passenger seat up and re-install headrest...and done.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice work Nutpantz

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I concur, Im 5'11 and fitted just fine in my Mirage for an over night rest. I just layed down a thick quilt, double folded over the 60/40 fold downs, got my sleeping bag and some thick bamboo pillows to stuff in the crevice, folded the passenger seat all the forward and down. With legs in fetal position and laying on my side its doable. I woke up with a creak in my neck but this could definitely be a homeless shelter if need be. I imagine there have been alot of drug overdoses in Mirages these last 5 years, I mean c'mon, its a Mirage and most owners are more than likely living check to check, young, and less than steller credit. Basically Mitsubishi's bread and butter demographic IMO.
    Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 09-23-2019 at 03:09 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I imagine there have been alot of drug overdoses in Mirages these last 5 years, I mean c'mon, its a Mirage and most owners are more than likely living check to check, young, and less than steller credit. Basically Mitsubishi's bread and butter demographic IMO.
    I like the Mirage because it is affordable, very reliable, & super economical. The 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, 7-year/100,000 mile anti-corrosion warranty, & 5-year/unlimited miles roadside assistance are nice perks, too. Plus, the dealership threw in a lifetime/unlimited miles powertrain warranty for good measure.

After almost 2 years of ownership & nearly 29,000 miles, I still don't see any small economy car on the market that I like better than the Mirage with a manual transmission.

I think some pretty nice people own &/or have an interest in this car. They surely don't fit your description. IMO.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I like the Mirage because it is affordable, very reliable, & super economical. The 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, 7-year/100,000 mile anti-corrosion warranty, & 5-year/unlimited miles roadside assistance are nice perks, too. Plus, the dealership threw in a lifetime/unlimited miles powertrain warranty for good measure.

After almost 2 years of ownership & nearly 29,000 miles, I still don't see any small economy car on the market that I like better than the Mirage with a manual transmission.

I think some pretty nice people own &/or have an interest in this car. They surely don't fit your description. IMO.
    For sure, on here you have the cream of the crop of Mirages owners. But judging from who I see typically in a Mirage in my city, I assure you they're not posting on here about oil viscosity. Hell, many probably dont even know what viscosity means lol.